Jobs Report

Grumpy Bear

Grumpy's question about finding a good hot-dog provokes a lot of thought and discussion.  A shortage of workers for lower paying/entry level jobs is a current reality in much of US & Ca.  I believe many of the people who previously held these jobs advanced to more rewarding employment opportunities.  This is causing employers to find ways to attract workers to these traditionally lower paying jobs or modify their business plan or to close.  It is also causing customers to change their habits or expectations.   Last Friday we took a couple to lunch at a popular restaurant we frequented in the past.   The charm and food were still there but the staff was lean and noticeably younger.  Our server was terrific, but struggled with our language differences.   She was able to get our order correct and was very attentive to our needs.   This experience rattled our traditional expectations but earned a very generous gratuity.  We left feeling like we just watched a great movie with English subtitles.  All server jobs my kids worked in required strong communication skills.  A wise employer now could advertise a restaurant job as an opportunity to learn strong communication skills!  

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Grumpy's question about finding a good hot-dog provokes a lot of thought and discussion.  A shortage of workers for lower paying/entry level jobs is a current reality in much of US & Ca.  I believe many of the people who previously held these jobs advanced to more rewarding employment opportunities.  This is causing employers to find ways to attract workers to these traditionally lower paying jobs or modify their business plan or to close.  It is also causing customers to change their habits or expectations.   Last Friday we took a couple to lunch at a popular restaurant we frequented in the past.   The charm and food were still there but the staff was lean and noticeably younger.  Our server was terrific, but struggled with our language differences.   She was able to get our order correct and was very attentive to our needs.   This experience rattled our traditional expectations but earned a very generous gratuity.  We left feeling like we just watched a great movie with English subtitles.  All server jobs my kids worked in required strong communication skills.  A wise employer now could advertise a restaurant job as an opportunity to learn strong communication skills!  

We go out to eat every Saturday night with another couple. With the exception of a few weeks of take out nothing has changed. Yes there’s more help wanted signs. The reason here is people are moving here from all over. It’s a boom town. Exciting times here right now.

People left their entry level jobs in the past year because they were making more sitting on their butts at home. Not a coincidence that these jobs were added the same month Biden’s $300/wk unemployment enhancement went away. Gas prices are also not a coincidence. We all see it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

People left their entry level jobs in the past year because they were making more sitting on their butts at home. Not a coincidence that these jobs were added the same month Biden’s $300/wk unemployment enhancement went away. Gas prices are also not a coincidence. We all see it.

There are always people who will take advantage of systems in place to protect those in need.  Years ago I met a person with a well paying suit and tie job who would dress down after work and visit the local foodbank.  I felt something must be terribly wrong in his life and offered my assistance.  He denied my help and said he goes to the foodbank because the food is free and he suggested I give it a try!  Some just don't get it.   Our government (Canada) made generous allowances available to those who lost work during Covid.  We do hear about the abuse of these funds but we also hear about those who were able to keep their homes and eat during their job loss.   I have many friends and relatives who experienced layoff or job loss during Covid.   I don't personally know anyone who delayed getting back to work so that they could make more sitting on their butts at home.  I do personally know individuals who returned to better jobs than they left.  

• Like 1

In Texas if you got laid off and at Social security age and under full retirement age. You can collect both. They don’t cancel each out. But if you’re under full retirement age. You can only make so much money working before it hits against your Social Security monthly payments. Therefore encouraging people to collect unemployment instead of working.

It’s unbelievable around here. A guy applied at my wife’s company and they gave him the job. He showed up and said “I didn’t actually want to work here, I was just applying to get unemployment” He said he didn’t think he would actually get hired, and he left. Very polite anyway.

However well intentioned all these policies are (or aren’t), they do not have the desired affect. People are walking from $20 jobs, everything is way more expensive, and Burger King is only open banker’s hours now. Ridiculous.

Waiting in line at a popular drive-thru yesterday, there was a big message board soliciting workers.  The ad was cleverly worded and almost had me apply! I felt needed and wanted! 🙂  It is strange knowing that the successful candidate in a job interview is the employer rather than the applicant!  Shortly after this visit I was watching one of our homeless waiting in the median of a busy intersection in hopes of attracting donations.  While waiting for the light to change, I saw two drivers beckon the young man and give him bills (not spare change).   The effort to stand out there in all weather, for long hours enduring both kindness and hostility, must take incredible stamina and perseverance. Such attributes are highly desirable in the workforce.   I know homelessness is a very complex issue and such an observation may sound ignorant.  However I get really conflicted when I see well-meaning people making it appear lucrative for individuals, who are struggling, stand and walk out in busy traffic!  I donate food and clothing generously to those services catering to our people in need and support those who help the homeless. I believe directing resources (people and finances) to support our most in need will  also help serve our workforce. We have a huge untapped labor pool of workers in need of the necessary tools for a fresh start. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Waiting in line at a popular drive-thru yesterday, there was a big message board soliciting workers.  The ad was cleverly worded and almost had me apply! I felt needed and wanted! 🙂  It is strange knowing that the successful candidate in a job interview is the employer rather than the applicant!  Shortly after this visit I was watching one of our homeless waiting in the median of a busy intersection in hopes of attracting donations.  While waiting for the light to change, I saw two drivers beckon the young man and give him bills (not spare change).   The effort to stand out there in all weather, for long hours enduring both kindness and hostility, must take incredible stamina and perseverance. Such attributes are highly desirable in the workforce.   I know homelessness is a very complex issue and such an observation may sound ignorant.  However I get really conflicted when I see well-meaning people making it appear lucrative for individuals, who are struggling, stand and walk out in busy traffic!  I donate food and clothing generously to those services catering to our people in need and support those who help the homeless. I believe directing resources (people and finances) to support our most in need will  also help serve our workforce. We have a huge untapped labor pool of workers in need of the necessary tools for a fresh start. 

I got board and did Uber for awhile. I liked driving and figured get paid for it. And it wouldn’t interfere with my vacations. There’re strange people out there. Everyone lives in their own bubble. Outside of that scary. Everything else conflicts with my playing. I even considered delivering campers. Too saturated, no money in it. A Walmart greeter or car wash attendant. Same problem dealing with people. Especially after Covid, everyone’s got the plague. I don’t need it, I’ll stay in my bubble.

• Like 1