What are the Biggest tires I can put on stock Silverado 17” rims

I’m mobile but you need to check ACTUAL dimensions for the tires listed. However, using the nominal measurements, it appears there is about a 1” height and 3/4” width difference. 

The variance in actual vs nominal may be less or more as every 275/70 or 285/70 don’t have identical dimensions. 

265/70/17:

265 x 0.70 / 25.4 x 2  = 14.61” + 17” rim = 31.61” tall

265 / 25.4 = 10.43” wide

285/70/17:

285 x 0.70 / 25.4 x 2  = 15.71” + 17” rim = 32.71” tall

285 / 25.4 = 11.22” wide

Edited by 1AT4

1 hour ago, John deer said:

Will it be bad for my drivetrain/transmission to run the bigger tires?

Nope, just your wallet. Your speedo will be a couple of mph off. Also your mpg gauge, if'n that is a concern. 

1 hour ago, John deer said:

Will it be bad for my drivetrain/transmission to run the bigger tires? 

they are about 1” bigger in diameter and 0.8” bigger in width than the stock all terrains.

Eh.  Not necessarily.  Will hurt your fuel mileage though.  Increased rolling resistance.  

Ideally you will need something like the Range Pulsar LT to correct your speedo for tire size increase.  

As others noted, bigger meats increases rolling resistance which decreases MPG and also puts some marginal amount of extra wear/tear on the vehicle.  At least in theory, right?  In reality, I’ve swapped tires to much larger sizes without a concern about longevity concerns but that probably comes down to personal tolerance for risk. In my experiences I never saw failure but I didn’t keep said vehicles > 100k miles either. 

This calculator provides an option to compare tire sizes and includes revolutions per mile to calculate speedometer variances. It’s pretty minor as you will see. At 80-90mph there is about 3mph variance. The variance decreases or grows in direct relation to your speed. Most hand held tuners can reprogram the computer for different tire sizes so it all reads correctly. The dealer can also but I suspect that will be a costly ordeal for small benefit. 

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Edited by 1AT4

Rough Country makes an inline plug in module for tire size correction. It's cheaper than the Pulsar LT, but it ONLY changes the tire size for speedo correction. I managed to pick one up cheaper than new  as an open box unit on ebay. It was $132.50 shipped vs $220 new.

Diameter32.8"
Width11.3"
Rim Range7.5-9.5"
Measured Rim8.5"
Tread Depth14/32"
Load RangeStandard Load
Max Load2833 lbs
Max PSI44 psi
Max Speed118 mph
Weight50.5 lbs

for those wondering 

here’s the specs on the falken wildpeak at3w tires

size P285/70/17r 117t

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John deer said:
Diameter32.8"
Width11.3"
Rim Range7.5-9.5"
Measured Rim8.5"
Tread Depth14/32"
Load RangeStandard Load
Max Load2833 lbs
Max PSI44 psi
Max Speed118 mph
Weight50.5 lbs

for those wondering 

here’s the specs on the falken wildpeak at3w tires

size P285/70/17r 117t

Here is a great example of nominal vs actual sizes. I did the math earlier to show nominal size. The actual size is pretty close but a smidge taller and wider. 

Once you determine the actual dimensions of the OE tire currently installed, you can determine the true delta between the two. 

Effectively the delta is what makes it compatible or not. Assuming you don’t lift, trim, use spacers or buy new rims with different offset then the geometry of available space remains constant. This is why one guy may give a thumbs up to a certain size and another says it won’t fit. I might even add how you use your truck matters. If it’s a street queen then you can likely push the fringe a little more but if you off-road and need full articulation then available space and usable space under flex becomes more critical.