High End Audio

diyer2

I thought a thread about audio would be a change.

Just curious if anybody is into high end audio. I have been an audio nut for many years and have built 4 home surround systems but currently have a 2 channel home system used for TV and music. I'm pushing 70 years old, wear hearing aids and have lost some high frequencies but still enjoy listening to music. Mainly listen to rock n roll from the 70's +. I also listen to oldies and country. I steam music using Tidal, also have flash drives loaded with music for the vehicles and home system and an occasional CD. 

My 1993 Silverado had $2K of audio equipment in it. I bought and installed the equipment. This was my daily and work truck so it got used. Now retired my tuck doesn't get used as much so it is stock.

Home audio is now my thing and enjoy the building process. Trying different pieces and wiring. 

Join in if you like.

I just turned 66. One of my first mods to my vehicles use to be a trip to the stereo shop. I have a stack of old car stereos in my garage. My home has surrounded sound that I turn on less frequently now. The sound bars these days work pretty good. As does the OEM vehicle radios. I have hundreds of albums and even an old console stereo. Nothing sounds better than an album. I have every zeppelin album to the Beatles. Yes I belonged to record clubs then CD clubs. Music enthusiasm rivals my car enthusiasm. I too have hearing loss since 7 years old from high fever it’s said, high frequencies. 

I appreciate good sound equipment but stock or off the shelf is outstanding when compared to yesteryear.   If my base reference point was from the past twenty years, then I may feel differently.  However. I remember pouring most of my paper route money into my Bogen 20W mono tube amplifier c/w single 4 ft high Karlsen speaker enclosure!  I am sensitive to hearing loss so I seldom crank the volume up past my comfort level.  Of course this practice is null and void when listening to the Beatles channel...

• Like 1

My current 2 channel system is the most I have ever spent on audio. It is great though. 

Donstar, Karnut I streamed The Beatles greatest hits on Tidal in high res the other day. A real joy. 

• Like 1

With the infotainment systems these things come with now along with amped speakers and subs, i have had 0 need for any aftermarket radio equipment. I'm also older now and bolt loosening bass is no longer a priority to me, and to be honest most of the aftermarket stuff is no better then what comes stock in these vehicles now imo.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:28 AM, diyer2 said:

Vinyl is great. Got rid of my albums years ago. Might have to try it again. 

Vinyl has come a long way.

Most albums are now 180 gram, they track flat and are heavy. Sound quality is outstanding. Abbey Road Studios are putting out 180-200 gram that are recorded at 1/3rd speed of a normal pressing, expensive, but sound awesome.

It is funny when I put something on the turntable I bought as a teenager back in the 80's and watch it spin, the ammount of up and down movement of the tonearm, compared to nothing with the new albums. 

NAD C658 Processor/streamer

Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers

Parasound Halo JC5 amp

Sunfire subwoofer

Adcom DVD CD player

Monster Power power conditioner

Mogami speaker wire

Raven audio interconnects

AudioQuest HDMI cables

Just ordered new interconnects from Morrow Audio. 

3 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

NAD C658 Processor/streamer

Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers

Parasound Halo JC5 amp

Sunfire subwoofer

Adcom DVD CD player

Monster Power power conditioner

Mogami speaker wire

Raven audio interconnects

AudioQuest HDMI cables

Just ordered new interconnects from Morrow Audio. 

When I first got my Avalanche I bought a blue tooth speaker from Walmart for 60$ to work with my phone. It rivals any fancy stereo I had in the past. I even use it with my projection TV. 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, diyer2 said:

Well bigdogx I whole heartedly disagree. No way a stock vehicle (Bose) sound system could compare to an even modest after market system. 

My Kicker setup (powered sub and amp for Kicker KS door speakers) in my truck  blows the doors off any stock bose setup. Not even close.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my Silverado I went with all Memphis Audio Power Reference series speakers, two 10" Memphis Audio subs (can't remember the model off the top of my head), and a 700 watt 5 channel Memphis Audio amp powering everything. Factory head unit.

Still in the research stage with my home audio. Have never put together a home setup before and not wanting to go with a sound bar or home theater in a box.