What fuse can I tab into to have 5v power?

Anyone know which fuse I need to tab into to get power to a sound board card I am installing? I have a soundboard card that is 5V power only and I bought a 12V to 5V power inverter. I think this is what I needed. Now Anyone know which fuse I can use to tab this into so when ever i turn on the engine this power on?

thank you

268293979_5161538210544388_5501660657514798281_n (1).jpg

There is no 5v power in the vehicle you can tap into, 5v is a reference voltage that the engine sensors use. If you have a 12v/5v inverter it sounds like you are looking for a 12v source, yes?

11 hours ago, TJay74 said:

There is no 5v power in the vehicle you can tap into, 5v is a reference voltage that the engine sensors use. If you have a 12v/5v inverter it sounds like you are looking for a 12v source, yes?

The picture indicates 12V in , 5V out. So if amps are not an issue, then he could tap most of the fuses in the vehicle to get the needed 12V supply.

The cigarette lighter fuse would be ideal. Just make sure you tap the correct side of the fuse. ALL power on that circuit must pass through the 20A fuse. Anything before the fuse would be considered a "short".

Also,

Its "tap", not "tab".

You tap into the wiring.

Tab is the brand name of a carbonated beverage.

633764-flickr-tab_soda.jpg?itok=pN05pC-i

You need to be very careful tapping into just any 12v source, "noise" on those 12v circuits can affect the CANBUS data system and causes issues with modules on those systems. This has been a problem since the more complex CANBUS stuff started launching in 2010+.

The new C8 Corvette is running into this issue now, guys are putting dash cams and radar detectors in the C8's and tapping into the rearview mirror circuits, the noise from that is back feeding into the circuit for the outside power mirrors and causing the mirror glass to spiderweb out. GM has finally found the issue and issued a TSB on it to deny coverage if a radar detector or dash cam is found in use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, aboyzz said:

Anyone know which fuse I need to tab into to get power to a sound board card I am installing? I have a soundboard card that is 5V power only and I bought a 12V to 5V power inverter. I think this is what I needed. Now Anyone know which fuse I can use to tab this into so when ever i turn on the engine this power on?

thank you

268293979_5161538210544388_5501660657514798281_n (1).jpg

Passenger fuse panel. Use a add on fuse next to the 15A fuse. The fuse is 10A, it receives power when the truck is on and it is off when truck is off. I would recommend using a relay to provide dedicated power and use this fuse to provide the trigger source.

Passenger Fuse.jpg