I took my 2020 2500HD High country to the GM dealer and asked if the bulges on this tire was an issue.  They told me it was just a "defect" and not to worry.  I tow 12-13000 lbs often with 2500-2800 of payload going on with that tow (RV and gear).  Anyone seen this, I'm thinking I should just get a new one 😕

814757881_2020HDTire.png.b4a34c6855feb1478c5e4f3674546ad5.png

Edited by Todd Johnson

Sidewall ripple like that are fairly common and won't be covered under a tire manufacturers warranty. There would have to be a giant bulge in the sidewall that is about to pop for a possible coverage. Usually those type of failures are because of an impact to the sidewall that damaged it.

Here is an article straight from Tirerack about it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=32

Some tires show overlap of the sidewall layers, but it should be  similar on all 4 tires. If you have one that’s significantly different I’d ask for them to replace it even though it’s probably just fine. If they refuse, maybe swap it with your spare if it worries you. 

I am no pro but for FWIW I always thought indentations were OK (cosmetic manufacturing issue) and outward bulges were bad.  I have never had a 'bulge' shaped like those in your picture.  I have had several tires replaced (low profile car tires) with sidewall bulges although the bulges were more round or oval than in your picture.  (Finally got rid of those tires :)) They were not much bigger though.  The replacements were through Discount Tire and their cert program.

Maybe run by a dedicated tire shop and see what they say.  I THOUGHT the tires are a separate manufacturer warranty anyway and an authorized tire shop could take care of replacement.

But I am not a pro

Good luck

On 1/22/2022 at 2:23 PM, Todd Johnson said:

I took my 2020 2500HD High country to the GM dealer and asked if the bulges on this tire was an issue.  They told me it was just a "defect" and not to worry.  I tow 12-13000 lbs often with 2500-2800 of payload going on with that tow (RV and gear).  Anyone seen this, I'm thinking I should just get a new one 😕

814757881_2020HDTire.png.b4a34c6855feb1478c5e4f3674546ad5.png

Might be worth stopping at an America's Tire, Discount Tire, or other major tire shop which carries Goodyear.

Good article from Tire rack concerning both bulges and indents.  They suggest if the side wall bulges to have it replaced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=32

Good luck :cheers:

I work for a major tire manufacture. Even though it's not Goodyear that I work for, I can say that from his picture he posted that would not be something I would write up a warranty adjustment for.

It's not a bulge in the sidewall like this.

5802725322_cfabd98627_z.jpg

Edited by CamGTP