Add heated steering wheel to 2020 Custom?

I am so far from taking anything apart to look for pins. I'm deep enough in knowledge to know there are issues with a SIR part, or Clock Spring, the option was only available with push button start, which I do not have, and it would need to be programmed into the BCM by a dealer, if my BCM will even allow it, I get all the correct parts, and I can find a dealer willing to do it. Taking something apart on virtually a new truck to look at pins is not where I'm starting unless I get advice from someone who's done the upgrade successfully, but thanks!

Have you done this mod?

No, I have not. I am going to do it on my son's 19 Colorado, which all Colorado/ Canyons are keyed ignition still.

Saw a video on this for a Colorado. Need a clock spring and heated wheel. It was plug and play, no dealer programming. His truck had the wiring harness connector for this. He listed part number for wheel and clock spring.

I'm going to take 3 minutes to remove the plastic housing and see if this connector is there, before ordering parts.

PS.. just got the 19 Colorado last week on a lease return, so I no nothing about the Colorado/Canyons, but learning.

Edited by gemarsh
Added info

I'm not on Facebook and want to know the details on this. I just added a heated one to my Custom. I already had the safety confidence package from the factory so I had all the other buttons. I wanted a factory leather wrapped wheel mostly. Having working heat was a hopeful stretch.

An issue I have is noting another thread where someone had added an aftermarket hack to add navigation to their non navigation factory radio and when in for service, it was flashed with the latest software and it broke the aftermarket navigation add on.

Will BCM changes outside of a GM dealer be at risk of being wiped if the dealer ever had to flash the BCM or update it for some other reason? I added GM accessory fog lights but they want an additional $160 for labor to program the BCM and have my truck for half a day to do it. I instead used a diode jumper off the parking lights to activate the fog lights since I already had the part from my past vehicle. Any hack like that to make the heated steering wheel work?

I did the ltz wheel, high country cluster and ran the extra wire for the wheel controls to work. I spent about an hour on it, with the wiring diagram.  Powered the pin for the heated wheel in the clock ring and the heated wheel button doesn't light up. There's more involved, it's not that easy. I didnt have time after that so that's as far as I got.

Edited by Flatblack83

• 2 weeks later...

Heated steering wheel, I thought it was just for wimps... damn was I wrong, used it 3 times this winter so far and saved my frozen hand (exaggeration 🥶) but made a hell of a difference bringing feelings back to the hand. Good luck getting it to work!

• 9 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 1:45 AM, jbrown0904 said:

Anyone have any updates on this? I have a 21 custom trail boss that has been pretty much changed over to a high country. I did get the high country dash cluster put in from WAMS, its works extremely well. 

You and I are in the same boat. I'm trying to get my heated wheel to work in my 2022 LTD Custom after swapping in a WAMS high country cluster and new wheel w/ heat.