Tow hitch weight

What is the most tongue weight you have had on a 2500 truck? I need to move a friend's travel trailer and the tongue weight is 2155 lbs. Dead tongue weight capacity of the truck is 5000 lbs. I don't need to move it far (couple hundred feet) and won't be traveling more than 2-3 mph, but seems like a lot of tongue weight. 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, AbzDad said:

What is the most tongue weight you have had on a 2500 truck? I need to move a friend's travel trailer and the tongue weight is 2155 lbs. Dead tongue weight capacity of the truck is 5000 lbs. I don't need to move it far (couple hundred feet) and won't be traveling more than 2-3 mph, but seems like a lot of tongue weight. 

Thanks!

Usually tongue weight is about 10% of the trailer weight. Are you towing 21,550 lbs? Most 2500HD trucks I think are rated to tow up to about a 13,000lb trailer.

As for tongue weight, look for the Tire and Loading Information sticker in the door jamb with tire pressures. It says the max weight of cargo which includes passengers, cargo and tongue weight. My 2017 2500 HD 4x4 says my max payload is 2814lbs.

My 6000lb camper trailer has a tongue weight of about 600lbs so well within that limit, even with passengers and toys in the bed.

48 minutes ago, dplarson said:

Usually tongue weight is about 10% of the trailer weight. Are you towing 21,550 lbs? Most 2500HD trucks I think are rated to tow up to about a 13,000lb trailer.

As for tongue weight, look for the Tire and Loading Information sticker in the door jamb with tire pressures. It says the max weight of cargo which includes passengers, cargo and tongue weight. My 2017 2500 HD 4x4 says my max payload is 2814lbs.

My 6000lb camper trailer has a tongue weight of about 600lbs so well within that limit, even with passengers and toys in the bed.

Thanks Don. Trailer dry weight is only 11800, fully loaded 14k. Odd that that tongue weight is so high, but the kitchen/living room/bar and two slide-outs are in the front. The trailer is a Forest River Cottage 40CBAR. It is is 42 footer. Again, I am only moving this thing 100 feet or so. 

I will check the tag. I was more curious if anyone has put the much weight on a standard class V hitch.

2 hours ago, AbzDad said:

Thanks Don. Trailer dry weight is only 11800, fully loaded 14k. Odd that that tongue weight is so high, but the kitchen/living room/bar and two slide-outs are in the front. The trailer is a Forest River Cottage 40CBAR. It is is 42 footer. Again, I am only moving this thing 100 feet or so. 

I will check the tag. I was more curious if anyone has put the much weight on a standard class V hitch.

The factory hitch on these trucks was designed to handle the max trailer tow rating with or without weight distribution hitches.

Tongue weight per GM ideally is 10%, but they allow for 10-15% of trailer weight for tongue.  Being you are only moving 100ft, I think you will be fine however.  

Edited by newdude