Electronic Parking Brake Service Mode

I purchased new wheels for my 2021 Silverado and would like to paint the rear rotor hats and calipers as I did the front. Does anyone know of a way to put the EPB in service mode to retract them in order to take the rear brakes apart. I purchased an OBDII scanner that is supposed to perform this function which I'm having a problem with (dealing with the manufacturer for a solution). I saw online a manual way to put the system in service mode by:

1. Block the drive wheels.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position with the engine off.
  3. Place the automatic transmission in PARK or manual transmission in NEUTRAL, as equipped.
  4. Apply and hold the brake pedal. The brake pedal must remain applied throughout the parking brake cable tension release process.
  5. Press and hold down the electronic park brake (EPB) switch for approximately 5 seconds.
  6. Observe the PARK BRAKE lamp on the instrument cluster.
  7. When the PARK BRAKE lamp flashes, release, then immediately press and release the EPB switch. The parking brake cable tension is fully released.
  8. Release the brake pedal.

I saw this method on two different sites and thought it may work. Unfortunately this did not and I did not hear the brake release or see the brake service mode light on the dash. Has anyone figured out a way that works? Please advise with any advice. Thank you.

When I painted my calipers, I removed the rear caliper from the rear bracket. I did not need to put it in parking brake service mode. Of course, the parking brake was off. Note that I did not remove the brake line from the caliper. Install was straightforward. I will say that if you want to avoid having to reset error codes, disconnect the battery before you do this. If you are replacing the brake pads, the rear caliper parking brake mechanism would need to be retracted. I think that’s when you need to put it into some sort of service mode, although I believe there are some videos showing that you do not have to do that. There is a way to retract it manually. There is no cable on this set up; the parking brake uses an electric motor to screw in an out, causing tension on the pads. 

Edited by Shall36

On 6/27/2022 at 11:30 AM, bryknicks said:

I purchased new wheels for my 2021 Silverado and would like to paint the rear rotor hats and calipers as I did the front. Does anyone know of a way to put the EPB in service mode to retract them in order to take the rear brakes apart. I purchased an OBDII scanner that is supposed to perform this function which I'm having a problem with (dealing with the manufacturer for a solution). I saw online a manual way to put the system in service mode by:

3. Place the automatic transmission in PARK or manual transmission in NEUTRAL, as equipped.
  4. Apply and hold the brake pedal. The brake pedal must remain applied throughout the parking brake cable tension release process.
  5. Press and hold down the electronic park brake (EPB) switch for approximately 5 seconds.
  7. When the PARK BRAKE lamp flashes, release, then immediately press and release the EPB switch. The parking brake cable tension is fully released.

I saw this method on two different sites and thought it may work. Unfortunately this did not and I did not hear the brake release or see the brake service mode light on the dash. Has anyone figured out a way that works? Please advise with any advice. Thank you.

I think you need to integrate step 8 into step 7.

https://youtu.be/jU-iTCxl4L4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, bryknicks said:

It didn't work because those aren't correct instuctions.  The EPB can't be placed into service mode without a scan tool.

Parking Brake Service Mode Selection

In order to perform repairs on certain parts of the brake system, it is necessary to fully retract the park brake caliper pistons.

Enter Service Mode

Note: Do NOT apply any brake pressure during this step.

Install a scan tool.

Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.

Select Electronic Brake Control Module/Brake System Control Module.

Select Control Functions.

Select Rear Brake Caliper Piston Retract or Front Brake Caliper Piston Retract if available.

Exiting Service Mode

Select Rear Brake Caliper Piston Extend or Front Brake Caliper Piston Extend if available.

Also.  Many aftermarket OBD II scanners either will or won't work.  And some of them including high end SnapOn and MAC ones have a 50/50 shot of "bricking" the brake module requiring the dealer to re-program the brake module to reset it.  

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, newdude said:

It didn't work because those aren't correct instuctions.  The EPB can't be placed into service mode without a scan tool.

Parking Brake Service Mode Selection

In order to perform repairs on certain parts of the brake system, it is necessary to fully retract the park brake caliper pistons.

Enter Service Mode

Note: Do NOT apply any brake pressure during this step.

Install a scan tool.

Turn the ignition ON with the engine OFF.

Select Electronic Brake Control Module/Brake System Control Module.

Select Control Functions.

Select Rear Brake Caliper Piston Retract or Front Brake Caliper Piston Retract if available.

Exiting Service Mode

Select Rear Brake Caliper Piston Extend or Front Brake Caliper Piston Extend if available.

Also.  Many aftermarket OBD II scanners either will or won't work.  And some of them including high end SnapOn and MAC ones have a 50/50 shot of "bricking" the brake module requiring the dealer to re-program the brake module to reset it.  

There is a way to do it without any scan tool. 

I posted a video of it a while back but its involves holding the parking brake button for a certain period of time, crossing your fingers, saying 3 Hail Mary's, burning incense, drinking Jo-Bu's rum over home plate, and sacrificing a half eaten chicken wing to a three legged dog.

Edited by Gangly
  • Haha 2

• 8 months later...

So I used the hack that Roy Gonzales posted to youtube 9/14/21 and with several attempts it worked well.  Problem is that I am now stuck in service mode and cannot get any sequence of switch activation and pedal application to deactivate service mode!!  Anybody have experience with this?  Looks like I will be seeking a scanner tool

46 minutes ago, Randy Sliker said:

So I used the hack that Roy Gonzales posted to youtube 9/14/21 and with several attempts it worked well.  Problem is that I am now stuck in service mode and cannot get any sequence of switch activation and pedal application to deactivate service mode!!  Anybody have experience with this?  Looks like I will be seeking a scanner tool

Just now, Randy Sliker said:

To update, after this post I went to my truck and tried again.  With engine running as previous I held down the brake pedal, pressed ande held the parking brake button and the service mode disengaged after about 5 seconds....  same procedure and finally worked.  Computers are fickle.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2023 at 5:53 AM, Paul fatv said:

i tried it with the truck running and it WORKED. need to make a video now and post it. thank you very much

On 4/26/2023 at 5:53 AM, Paul fatv said:

i tried it with the truck running and it WORKED. need to make a video now and post it. thank you very much

So. Did it work with truck running?  Using the hold brake, press epb for 5 seconds, release and press, enter service mode?

• 4 months later...

Hey, digging up an old post here. I just replaced the rear brakes and rotors on my 2020 Silverado 1500 custom TB. I put it in service mode successfully before performing any work. Once finished I did the procedure to take truck out of service mode and the light is solid on the dash and will not do anything. I tried it multiple times with success…… any ideas or guidance? Pretty pathetic I had to replace my brakes at 31k miles! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...