Around Town Driving in L7 vs Drive

A while back I got a Diablo handheld tuner that I really only use it turn off AFM off and for larger tire size.  Prior to this I was constantly driving around in L7 to keep from going into V4.  Since I got the tuner I find myself still going to L7 out of habit when driving around town most of the time. This got me wondering...

Other than the obvious of being able to control what gear you’re in and not going into V4 (AFM), are there any other benefits, pros/cons of this vs ‘Drive’.  Are there any other parameters that change when using the L gears? (TCC lock up, shift points, etc..) Or is it truly the same as ‘Drive’ but no AFM and you can control the gear selection?  I do like the ability to hold 7th gear a little longer and not shift into 8th at less than 50mph. 

Thats what I thought but wasn't sure what parameters may be changed in manual mode. Just wish it would hold 7 a little longer but I get they want to eek every MPG out if it they can in stock form.  Funny how even months later after tuning out AFM I still automatially go to manual mode and up to 7 each time I put it in drive just out of habit.