2022 Silverado Shutter Recall

I had to take my 2022 Silverado with the Duramax into the dealership due to check engine light on and they also said there was a recall for the shutters. After they got it into the shop and looked they said in the harness for the shutters a wire was pinched that was causing proper signal for the shutters to open and close. I ask how they fixed the issues and their response was, "We moved the harness to the proper location and moved the wire so it was not pinched and all problems went away." My concern is the wire was pinched now they have moved it to me that has weakened the wire if it was pinched bad enough to not get the proper signal. They claim they did not splice it which personally I am 100% against splices in main wiring harness for a permeant fix especially on a brand new truck. So I wanted to just see if anyone else has ran across this issue yet? I am going to have them show me what harness they moved and verify they did not put a splice in the wire before I take the truck off the lot.

This is the recommended fix from GM:

The fix: dealership service technicians are instructed to add a tie strap to the wiring harness, which will secure it to the vehicle and ensure it does not contact the active grille shutter while it’s moving. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the vehicle owner.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/07/chevy-silverado-gets-service-update-for-aero-shutter-wiring-harness-issue/

Thank you, my only concern is still there was a pinched wire that was causing all kinds of issues in this wiring harness. My main question is shouldn't the harness be replaced if there was even "just a pinched wire" to prevent issues down the road from that wire being weakened? 

I would think they should but the dealer told me and I quote, " We moved the harness so the wiring was not pinched anymore to let the wire transmit proper signal, and that was the reason for all the check engine lights for the ECM and TCM was the wire was pinched enough to not let the proper signal to transmit through it."  To me if a wire is pinched that bad then it should be replaced and not spliced. Am I over thinking this issue? 

23 hours ago, Cyoung725 said:

I would think they should but the dealer told me and I quote, " We moved the harness so the wiring was not pinched anymore to let the wire transmit proper signal, and that was the reason for all the check engine lights for the ECM and TCM was the wire was pinched enough to not let the proper signal to transmit through it."  To me if a wire is pinched that bad then it should be replaced and not spliced. Am I over thinking this issue? 

Yes, they have guidlines to follow and thats what they do, some may be pinched alot more than others,road conditions and driving habits, stops,starts etc could have a lot to do with how hard the wires are pinched if they are pinched. Some may be pinched and others may not be. 

They are not going to replace parts if not needed. the word pinch itself is a word that can have many degrees of pressure. 

Let the dealer perform there job.

• 2 weeks later...

As a former service rep for a global company, pinched wires may not have any internal damage. I've seen it several times There are a few ways to verify that too. My question is how did they know a wire was pinched if it's in a covered harness? 

• 3 weeks later...

My issue would be that they are treating you like an idiot.  A wire carrying electricity cannot have the electricity stopped by kinking or "pinching" the wire.  Electricity don't give a damn. If that truly was what caused the money light to come on, then it was not "pinched", it was severed.  They are talking about it like it is a washer fluid hose or something.  

I would not be worried about them splicing it.  If the ever splice fails, then the money light will come on again, and then they will replace the harness or the whole shutter assembly. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 10:02 AM, newdude said:

If the wire was pinched and there is wiring damage, the service "recall" is to replace the aero shutter assembly and re-secure the new wiring.  

Do you have the actual TSB for this?

I had the CEL come on tonight and the fans are acting weird. Thinking this could be the issue. I have U0284