2021 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD Tow Mirror - Issues

Im having issues with the fold function on my power tow mirrors. The drivers side folds in and out just fine. The passenger starts to fold and then stops. If i slightly push while folding it goes, and it goes manually. it also opens up just fine. It just wont fold in on its own.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried to reset the mirrors and it didn't work. looking to not spend 1k on a mirror as this one has the camera. Any help would be appreciated.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, 2021GMCLP5 said:

Im having issues with the fold function on my power tow mirrors. The drivers side folds in and out just fine. The passenger starts to fold and then stops. If i slightly push while folding it goes, and it goes manually. it also opens up just fine. It just wont fold in on its own.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried to reset the mirrors and it didn't work. looking to not spend 1k on a mirror as this one has the camera. Any help would be appreciated.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, 2021GMCLP5.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: 2021GMCLP5/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

22 minutes ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, 2021GMCLP5.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: 2021GMCLP5/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Thanks for this,  But i tried resetting it one more time last night and it worked, folded them 5 or 6 times to make it work, hopefully its fixed for good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 11:40 AM, GMCustomerService said:

www.gm.com

the issue is back…..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had similar issue.  Passenger side mirror got noticeably slower to retract/extend relative to driver side.  Eventually it didn't retract on its own.  I extended and retracted again and it would work.  That happened two or three times before it finally refused to move at all.  

I have to retract to get in my garage.  The second time I manually extended, after manually retracting to get in garage, I had done the manual extension before I used the button to extend the driver mirror.  When I extended the driver mirror the passenger mirror made a huge pop, really huge pop.

It has been working perfectly ever since.  The speed matches the driver side and everything.  It has been months since that has happened.

No idea what was happening or how it fixed itself, but it did.

I bought a 2021 GMC Sierra with power tow mirrors in December of 2020.  These mirrors must be folded in daily to park in our garage and at other times to park in public spaces or to go through a car wash.  The driver side mirror was replaced for not functioning in 2021 while under warranty.  Now, the passenger side mirror is not folding out.  The problem is intermittant (sometimes it folds in half-way), but right now it is not folding in at all. I had purchased extended warranty.  My service advisor at Amery Chevrolet in Wisconsin reported that the warranty company is holding things up.  I haven't heard of any recall on these mirrors, but perhaps there should be one.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, major45acp said:

I just bought a 2021 3500 HD and I am having the same problem, but only on the driver’s side. I wonder if it is a plastic gear that has some teeth worn off?

This is certainly not what we like to hear, major45acp.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC Sierra 3500 HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: major45acp/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

www.gm.com

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue on my 2020. Only the driver's side, I noticed when the truck is parked on the street and slightly on an angle leaning towards the curb. Mirror doesn't want to open. I've taken it to the dealer obviously they can't duplicate the problem.  I've showed video to the service advisor and nothing.  It's hard to leave the truck for several days, it's my only vehicle.

My neighbor down the street has the same truck with same issue. 

An aftermarket company making a mod that improves the visibility and actually works would have a brisk business I suspect. These mirrors are my biggest complaint about my 3500hd. Luckily I don’t have to fold them very often, but i hate the way they block my view at intersections and entering roads from a driveway.  I sure wish I could have bought the non-towing 2500 mirrors on my 3500. I may look at a conversion if it’s close to plug and play.