1500 HD Tow Mirror Options

iceytys

13 minutes ago, 23HighCountry said:

Ok great, thanks a million man. I’ll forward this on and hopefully they can make er happen. If they don’t agree, is it something I’d be able to tackle on my own? Is it as simple as taking off the door panel, unbolting and unplugging the small mirrors and bolting up and plugging in the new ones and getting them to reflash the BCM? Or would there be some additional electrical work needed? Thanks again for taking the time to answer and explain everything. Very much appreciated as there isn’t a whole lot of info that pops up on a quick search. 

As far as swapping the mirrors, yes, pretty much that.  Pull the door panel, unbolt the old one and then reverse to install.  

They won't be able to help on the BCM side.  GM doesn't "technically" support swapping to these mirrors, so GM doesn't have a calibration available for the lights.  

To make them work, you need either new GM door harnesses, or the Boost Auto Parts modifying harness, and then perhaps White Audio and Media (WAMS) can custom BCM to enable the lamp circuits.  

Edited by newdude

4 hours ago, newdude said:

As far as swapping the mirrors, yes, pretty much that.  Pull the door panel, unbolt the old one and then reverse to install.  

They won't be able to help on the BCM side.  GM doesn't "technically" support swapping to these mirrors, so GM doesn't have a calibration available for the lights.  

To make them work, you need either new GM door harnesses, or the Boost Auto Parts modifying harness, and then perhaps White Audio and Media (WAMS) can custom BCM to enable the lamp circuits.  

Man, what a can of worms this has turned out to be. The dealership is telling me those pet numbers you sent don’t match which I’m very convinced they are wrong on.  Found another thread where people have got them to work but the camera angles are all messed up and sound like that’s what WAMS is supposed to fix. 

If I were to order those mirrors and hook them up as is, without any further modification what I’m gathering is the lights may or may not work(not a big issue for me) and the cameras would work, but be distorted until I sent the module off to be reprogrammed(seems like a fixable issue). Do you know of anyone who has successfully done the full DQS swap and has the lights and camera angles showing properly?

8 hours ago, newdude said:

Well… I got an answer when I emailed WAMS and they say they don’t have a workaround for the refreshed trucks. Haven’t heard if it’s in development or not. But it does make sense that the VPM would be different with an entirely new infotainment unit. Sounds like there’s been moderate success in the 19-22s but I haven’t seen any info anyone doing the swap on a refreshed truck yet - do you know of anyone that has? Dealership is doubling down that it’s not possible and given the answer from WAMS they might actually be right with the refreshed trucks. I don’t know that they would plug and play the same as the 19-22s would. 

11 hours ago, 23HighCountry said:

Well… I got an answer when I emailed WAMS and they say they don’t have a workaround for the refreshed trucks. Haven’t heard if it’s in development or not. But it does make sense that the VPM would be different with an entirely new infotainment unit. Sounds like there’s been moderate success in the 19-22s but I haven’t seen any info anyone doing the swap on a refreshed truck yet - do you know of anyone that has? Dealership is doubling down that it’s not possible and given the answer from WAMS they might actually be right with the refreshed trucks. I don’t know that they would plug and play the same as the 19-22s would. 

15 hours ago, 23HighCountry said:

Man, what a can of worms this has turned out to be. The dealership is telling me those pet numbers you sent don’t match which I’m very convinced they are wrong on.  Found another thread where people have got them to work but the camera angles are all messed up and sound like that’s what WAMS is supposed to fix. 

If I were to order those mirrors and hook them up as is, without any further modification what I’m gathering is the lights may or may not work(not a big issue for me) and the cameras would work, but be distorted until I sent the module off to be reprogrammed(seems like a fixable issue). Do you know of anyone who has successfully done the full DQS swap and has the lights and camera angles showing properly?

PM sent

Dealer is potentially doubling down only if they are using your VIN and saying "well by your VIN they dont come up".  The mirrors "don't fit" based on your VIN, but if your truck was ordered with DQS from the factory, it would have come with those two p/ns.

I somewhat slipped the fact you have a 2023, so yea WAMS isn't an option as the refreshed trucks are a whole new ball game for modules to go with the new GM VIP electrical/communications platform.  

The camera in the mirror for both the DEZ (what you have now) and the DQS (what you want) are the same exact p/n, so its interesting that distortion seems to be a possibility.  

I've not seen/done a refresh DQS upgrade.  We did one on a 2020 and had success with the cameras, etc.  

• 4 weeks later...

so i looked up the 2020 Silverado/sierra and the 2022 Silverado/sierra mirror pin out on the gm upfitters page and they are the same for both years at the mirror so it looks like the tow mirrors would work. i am no expert tho. 

I just installed a set of Boost Auto Parts towing mirrors. I am loving them so far. The install is a little cumbersome, but it ends up being a very clean install. They have lots of optional features that make the mirrors stand out. Like the Powerfold feature, front facing spot light, sequential turn signal..etc. Check out my in depth install video below.

@bilyq88. And just for reference the wiring on the new half tons varies from year to year.

2019 is slightly different.

2020-2022 LTD is all the same.

2022.5 refresh is different.

Edited by fondupot

On 11/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, newdude said:

PM sent

Dealer is potentially doubling down only if they are using your VIN and saying "well by your VIN they dont come up".  The mirrors "don't fit" based on your VIN, but if your truck was ordered with DQS from the factory, it would have come with those two p/ns.

I somewhat slipped the fact you have a 2023, so yea WAMS isn't an option as the refreshed trucks are a whole new ball game for modules to go with the new GM VIP electrical/communications platform.  

The camera in the mirror for both the DEZ (what you have now) and the DQS (what you want) are the same exact p/n, so its interesting that distortion seems to be a possibility.  

I've not seen/done a refresh DQS upgrade.  We did one on a 2020 and had success with the cameras, etc.  

Sorry OP, mild thread jack. Newdude, are the 23's on VIP? I ask because I have comma in my 21 and I wanted to get a 23. I would rather stay in my 21 if the 23's are in fact, VIP as the encryption prevents the comma from communicating. 

I'll shut up now. Sorry OP. 

17 hours ago, 1454 said:

Sorry OP, mild thread jack. Newdude, are the 23's on VIP? I ask because I have comma in my 21 and I wanted to get a 23. I would rather stay in my 21 if the 23's are in fact, VIP as the encryption prevents the comma from communicating. 

I'll shut up now. Sorry OP. 

All Silverado/Sierra that is 2022.5 (2022 refresh) and newer is on GM VIP (Global B).  2022 LTD are still GM Global A.    

• Sad 1