Steering Rack

A steel line on my steering rack burst and I drove the truck (2010 1500 WT 154,000 miles) a couple of miles home without power steering - not easy. Then I let it sit about 2 weeks before I got it in the garage and replaced the rack steel lines (both), I noted that it was particularly more difficult to steer than when I drove it home. Once I got it all back together and attempted to bleed the system I couldn't move the steering wheel at all and the pump wasn't moving any oil. Can I rightly assume that I fried the whole system and need a new rack?

Bob Dyson
Twin Mountain, NH

Probably air bound or the pump fried, it wouldn't be the rack. Are you sure you put the lines back as removed? It doesn't work if they are backwards. Was it the lines from the pump that failed or the lines on the rack itself? 

Lines on the rack itself. I replaced the lines from the pump and the pump reservoir tank about 18 months ago so there's been problems with this system previously. I picked up a remanufactured pump and will be installing it tomorrow. I'll make sure that I do a thorough job of bleeding the system and go from there. 

Bob Dyson 

Twin Mountain, NH

Back in the day all the accessories had their own drive belt so you could have removed or cut the belt if you had say a '78 Silverado, and maybe saved that pump; belts were less money than a pump. Welcome to the Forum AND welcome to the days of serpentine belts!

• Like 2