Whistling sound from drivers side at 45mph or greater

Just as the topic says, I get a whistle from somewhere on the drivers side at speeds above 45mph. I do have the tow mirrors and cab lights on my 3500AT4 so wondering if they may be the cause. Have not gone to dealer yet. Of course when I roll the window down the wind noise masks the whistle so have not been able to pin point. Anybody else have this issue?

• Like 1

I have not but look for any weather stripping a bit out of place because even slightly, it could cause this. If you want to test a spot, place a pice of tape over a section and go for a drive. If you can get it to stop or change in any way, you’re on the right track 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GMC4Zee said:

Pryme, thanks thats what I will try. Somehow I think it may be from the mirror but who knows. I will keep ya posted.

Put a towel over the mirror and tape it on and go for a drive. If the sound is gone, you have pinpointed your spot. Narrow it down. 

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

Put a towel over the mirror and tape it on and go for a drive. If the sound is gone, you have pinpointed your spot. Narrow it down. 

You are absolutely on track Pryme....but I have tow mirrors as well and there is never a peep from anything.  In fact my truck is so quiet, without the radio playing all I can hear is my ears ringing from tinnitus.  No joke.  Too many years from working on commercial aircraft...lol....Anyhow it's probably a bad door seal....although I did watch a video on youtube from a guy that had a 3500 AT4 that was complaining about wind noise too.  Narrowing it down can take some time, but well worth it in the long run...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I got tinnitus too. Not a good time. 

I've had it so many years, you just get used to it.  For most of my life it was my right ear.  Several years ago my left ear was apparently jealous and decided to kick in as well.  It's all good...just turn the radio up a little bit.  I have to run an air purifier at night to help drown it out.  There are things you can do to help.  Just don't ever let it get to you....It sucks...but think of ways to create white noise as I call it....I have a fan noise app on my phone in case we are staying somewhere without some kind of white noise.....hang in here buddy....don't let it drive you nuts...

• Like 1

Man, tinnitus really sucks. I know how you feel about it. I hear it allday and all night no matter what I do. I usually wear earbuds and listen to music to do away with ear ringing or turn my truck radio way up to drown it out. Something usually helps but makes it hard to fall asleep when all you hear is ringing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grandpapa20_ said:

Man, tinnitus really sucks. I know how you feel about it. I hear it allday and all night no matter what I do. I usually wear earbuds and listen to music to do away with ear ringing or turn my truck radio way up to drown it out. Something usually helps but makes it hard to fall asleep when all you hear is ringing. 

I agree, we bought an air purifier that makes noise.  I've lived with them running my entire adult life.  Especially when I worked midnights and didn't want to hear people mowing their lawn or my ears ringing when I was trying to get some sleep.  Anything that makes some kind of noise is good when trying to sleep.  A slow running fan works the best for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

You are absolutely on track Pryme....but I have tow mirrors as well and there is never a peep from anything.  In fact my truck is so quiet, without the radio playing all I can hear is my ears ringing from tinnitus.  No joke.  Too many years from working on commercial aircraft...lol....Anyhow it's probably a bad door seal....although I did watch a video on youtube from a guy that had a 3500 AT4 that was complaining about wind noise too.  Narrowing it down can take some time, but well worth it in the long run...

Yeah my truck is super quiet too. That’s one of the things I noticed the first day is how quit it went down the freeway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Yeah my truck is super quiet too. That’s one of the things I noticed the first day is how quit it went down the freeway. 

I've had 6 people in my truck...And everyone commented on how quiet it is....Stupid quiet is what I call it...lol....I've owned many Mercedes over the years, the only one that could come even close was my 95 E320.  That was super quiet...but not as quiet as this big ass 2500 truck....LOL....

8 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I've had 6 people in my truck...And everyone commented on how quiet it is....Stupid quiet is what I call it...lol....I've owned many Mercedes over the years, the only one that could come even close was my 95 E320.  That was super quiet...but not as quiet as this big ass 2500 truck....LOL....

I have a lifted Silverado 1500 that’s 5 years old and just rolled 34,000 miles yesterday. Even lifted and all its quiet and don’t have a lot of noise except from the tires. They’re not even that aggressive. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I agree, we bought an air purifier that makes noise.  I've lived with them running my entire adult life.  Especially when I worked midnights and didn't want to hear people mowing their lawn or my ears ringing when I was trying to get some sleep.  Anything that makes some kind of noise is good when trying to sleep.  A slow running fan works the best for me.

My wife and I sleep with a fan on high and still doesn’t help that much drowning out the noise but oh well. It’ll be there the rest of my life and I’ll just have to deal with it. Guess mine is caused by shooting pistols and rifles and not being smart enough to wear ear protection. 

7 minutes ago, grandpapa20_ said:

My wife and I sleep with a fan on high and still doesn’t help that much drowning out the noise but oh well. It’ll be there the rest of my life and I’ll just have to deal with it. Guess mine is caused by shooting pistols and rifles and not being smart enough to wear ear protection. 

Oh hell, don't get me started with shooting guns...I'm the AK person from hell...lol...I love my AR, but my AK's will always be my love.....along with many other handguns I own....

We have strayed so far off from the OP.....sorry for that.  Like Pryme said.  Use some tape or towels to try and find out where your noise is coming from.  Best advice ever!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Oh hell, don't get me started with shooting guns...I'm the AK person from hell...lol...I love my AR, but my AK's will always be my love.....along with many other handguns I own....

We have strayed so far off from the OP.....sorry for that.  Like Pryme said.  Use some tape or towels to try and find out where your noise is coming from.  Best advice ever!!

Man, I absolutely love shooting guns. I take one of my favorite rifles out every couple months just to shoot it and make sure it’s still sighted in. It’s set pretty good for a few hundred yards. 

• Like 1