Hit 300K On My 2014 GMC This Past Monday!

Gives me hope that my 2014 SLE with 88K has some life left in it. I just hope without the transmission drama.  already had the AC condenser fail once. Impressive it has made the 300K but I would not call it reliable with two transmission jobs.....now my 88 Toyota it was reliable. AC, Transmission, 22R engine never failed thats reliable.

3 hours ago, Yotaman said:

Yes I am.

It's the V8 six speeds weak spot. Well, one of them. The worst of their issues. It's a design flaw that shows up eventually. Search Florida Converter on this site. Should find several discussions and links to SONNAX and Florida for the full explanation. The weak converter clutch is aggravated by leaking pump and valve body piston leaks as the bores wear that hastens clutch the lining burning through sending debris throughout the transmission killing it dead. Happens when fluid is used to long and to hot. Some guys have the transmission programed to not lock up until it's in 5 or 6 gear. Perhaps doubles their life. Billet converter won't stop the valve body issues but it will stop total destruction from its coming apart. 

Just information, not advice. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 10:38 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

It's the V8 six speeds weak spot. Well, one of them. The worst of their issues. It's a design flaw that shows up eventually. Search Florida Converter on this site. Should find several discussions and links to SONNAX and Florida for the full explanation. The weak converter clutch is aggravated by leaking pump and valve body piston leaks as the bores wear that hastens clutch the lining burning through sending debris throughout the transmission killing it dead. Happens when fluid is used to long and to hot. Some guys have the transmission programed to not lock up until it's in 5 or 6 gear. Perhaps doubles their life. Billet converter won't stop the valve body issues but it will stop total destruction from its coming apart. 

Just information, not advice. 

Grumpy,

Florida torque converters, is that who you are referring to?  I was looking on their site a few weeks ago and never did find one for my truck.  Saw options for 4.3, 6.2, and 6.6 but nothing for the 5.3 6 speed.  I really know nothing about it, just know I'm looking to upgrade mine as I see more and more horror stories continue.  

1 hour ago, Skeeter McSkeet said:

Grumpy,

Florida torque converters, is that who you are referring to?  I was looking on their site a few weeks ago and never did find one for my truck.  Saw options for 4.3, 6.2, and 6.6 but nothing for the 5.3 6 speed.  I really know nothing about it, just know I'm looking to upgrade mine as I see more and more horror stories continue.  

Yes it is Florida TC. Give them a call. They have it. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 12:50 AM, bullet225ho said:

Not sure if it's bragging or too poor to afford a new one.  Just hit 300K on 2014 GMC All Terrain CC 4WD 5.3v8.    

Truck is basically stock.  I purchased it in 2016 with 51K on it.  I immediately did oil change with Edge motor oil.  Have used Edge the entire time changing at DIC stated intervals.  A time or two I have had low oil message on DIC.  Either went in for top off or just got oil changed.  Wix filters were used up until 3 oil changes ago and my local oil shop was bought out by "Take 5"  Now I have no clue what filter or oil they use.  They stated it was equivelent to edge...I'm sure it's probably junk and I'm looking for a new oil shop. 

Part failures that I can remember:

Air condenser cooler went out at 115k.  I replaced it myself and I guess I broke a clip at the trans coolant line.  That clip let go about 15k later and dumped tranny fluid all over I75.  I buttoned it all up and then at 140k Tranny went out (was probably my fault)  A/C delco tranny in at 140k.  Brake pads at around 180k,  Starter around 200k,  Another transmission at 236k that was covered by A/C delco as the replacement had 100k warranty and didn't make it.  Second Air condenser at 245k.  Front pads and rotors around 250k.  about 4 sets of wiper blades, 2 batteries.  I have a grounding issue that I think is in the negative battery cable.  Starting to get intermittent no start/dead battery issues from time to time....re-adjust negative battery cable and it starts right up. 

With all that said.  it's been a great truck.  I've been from Mid GA to Colorado and South Florida to DC is this damn thing.  Also,  during 2021 it basically sat for a year except for vacation trips (so maybe 7000 put on truck in 2021)  I had a company vehicle.

So,  I'd like to sell it for 37k that I paid for it in 2016.  It's definitely reliable.  I'm wanting a 24 2500 so bad...but dang they are spendy.   

Mileage2014GMC.thumb.jpg.a549221405f216fe07dd9c8cb09270de.jpg

Wow! What a record. No motor issues? Only trans and condenser as major repairs? About lifters?