New Entertainment System & Display for 2014 SLT

I have a fairly loaded 2014 SLT All Terrain with the Bose system and I'm looking to upgrade to a modern system with wireless Car Play/Android Auto.  I'm not an audiophile, but the wife uses her phone in her car and my 2018 Jeep to play music and navigate and she'd like to do the same in my truck, since the truck gets the nod for the long trips.

So, I've been considering a new system.  I've noticed the Stinger Heigh10, and the various Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine systems with displays in the 9" and up sizes.  I'm leaning towards a large display like those 9"-11" .  I just have no idea as to quality and reliability.  I've read some pretty bad reviews of the Stinger, but then you get bad reviews of most anything.  

If anyone can add some personal experiences and recommendations with an upgraded system, I'd appreciate it.  

I went with the Linkswell T-Style 12" screen.
Here's a few disjointed videos since I was recording with my iPhone and once it booted up and connected my iPhone was now owned by the head unit for driving. There are many videos on YTube much better than my attempt. I'm lousy at making a video.
Anyway, for what it's worth:

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey so I had a Bose system in my truck. I ripped everything out initially and did aftermarket audio with a wavetech LOC and still hated the fixed sound. So I ended up replacing the head unit. I went with a kenwood dmx 1037s and absolutely love it. The only thing is you have to set your comfort features before you switch as you can’t really adjust after….such as mirror stuff or lights staying on. I wouldn’t go back. It’s a costly process though and you need a few harnesses. I’m probably 4K in audio alone. 

19C143D6-FF9A-4783-96EA-DE12D4D9378D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blk2015gmc said:

Hey so I had a Bose system in my truck. I ripped everything out initially and did aftermarket audio with a wavetech LOC and still hated the fixed sound. So I ended up replacing the head unit. I went with a kenwood dmx 1037s and absolutely love it. The only thing is you have to set your comfort features before you switch as you can’t really adjust after….such as mirror stuff or lights staying on. I wouldn’t go back. It’s a costly process though and you need a few harnesses. I’m probably 4K in audio alone. 

19C143D6-FF9A-4783-96EA-DE12D4D9378D.jpeg

Great looking system.  I'm still warming up to the "floating" displays.  I like the built-in look.  The Linkswell is really sweet looking.  I see you can buy them off of Alibaba pretty cheap, but the support on things from there is zippo.  I worry a bit about the longevity of them too.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spurshot said:

Great looking system.  I'm still warming up to the "floating" displays.  I like the built-in look.  The Linkswell is really sweet looking.  I see you can buy them off of Alibaba pretty cheap, but the support on things from there is zippo.  I worry a bit about the longevity of them too.  

I bought my Linkswell from ADC Mobile and the support has been exemplary, in my experience.
Also, since they are an authorized dealer, Linkswell will also respond when I have a question.
Still, ADC Mobile is the best source for the radio I installed in my truck.
I have an extra one, a Gen 4, but when I discovered the Gen 5, I pulled it out.
Back in the box ... if anyone wants it, let me know.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 6:03 PM, Spurshot said:

I have a fairly loaded 2014 SLT All Terrain with the Bose system and I'm looking to upgrade to a modern system with wireless Car Play/Android Auto.  I'm not an audiophile, but the wife uses her phone in her car and my 2018 Jeep to play music and navigate and she'd like to do the same in my truck, since the truck gets the nod for the long trips.

So, I've been considering a new system.  I've noticed the Stinger Heigh10, and the various Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine systems with displays in the 9" and up sizes.  I'm leaning towards a large display like those 9"-11" .  I just have no idea as to quality and reliability.  I've read some pretty bad reviews of the Stinger, but then you get bad reviews of most anything.  

If anyone can add some personal experiences and recommendations with an upgraded system, I'd appreciate it.  

Check this unit out , works with Bose .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

I bought my Linkswell from ADC Mobile and the support has been exemplary, in my experience.
Also, since they are an authorized dealer, Linkswell will also respond when I have a question.
Still, ADC Mobile is the best source for the radio I installed in my truck.
I have an extra one, a Gen 4, but when I discovered the Gen 5, I pulled it out.
Back in the box ... if anyone wants it, let me know.

Did you install the optional right hand blind spot cam?

12 hours ago, Spurshot said:

Did you install the optional right hand blind spot cam?

No, I had the whole tow camera package, which had that, until I bought my power folding tow mirrors (I'll figure out how to re-integrate that when, and if, I go back to the stock system).
Instead, I just connected the "side camera" to my bed cam. No "blind spot" option as far as I can tell but I didn't really dig deep into that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DCazares said:

This one looks interesting too. First time I see it so it's fairly new I think.

yes it does , I came across it on YouTube & found it very interesting cause it retains all factory features

according to them ...

• Like 1

I spoke with Linkswell and Walt at ADC Mobile yesterday. 

Looks like the Gen 5 T-style is backordered for what could be months. 

ADC is running a special for $100 off. Walt said the backup lines are retained and provide original guidance (curving with steering). He described the HVAC system for me.  Access directly with the hard buttons on the side bring up the HVAC screen and control a feature (AC, Fan, etc.) or you can use the menu bar on the bottom to access the HVAC screen. He pretty much sold me on the system.  The only issues are that my SLT All Terrain appears to have a unique trim color (neither SLT nor Denali color).  I can either live with it or match all the trim myself with paints or something like a hydro-dip, or possibly a metal vapor deposition provider. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was in the same situation, been sitting on a T-style replacement that kept all the options(dynamic parking guide, steering wheel control, OEM options menu, XM, Onstar) I was looking at the Linkswell gen 5, but I didn't want to also buy the BOSE adapter, but I was running separate amp anyways, so might have not needed it. 

Saw a post of some guy on FB group that installed the one @PAPER posted about, msg that guy some questions and ordered it. Liking it so far, everything works for me. I really wanted the Linkswell.. but the price and extra adapter(if I really needed it) was way more than what I bought this one for. I think Linkswell and Phoenix has more system settings you can mess with compared to this one(might have hidden certain options in the menus), as long as all the stuff work, wasn't too worried about that part(yet). But this also had more RAM/Storage(8GB/128GB). 

I had bought the multi-cam(Rosta) from Walt when he first started selling it. Luckily, he lives about 30/mins away from me :). and that still works when I go into the Console part if I ever need to use it again. I used it all the time. I think you can buy a 360 add on kit for this unit, might check it out. Need to order the HD backup camera. 

Here's the unit installed in my truck. Going to vinyl wrap the trim parts like I did with my OEM trim. That black is too glossy for my taste. More picture in the other thread/post: What have you done to your K2 today

before_and_after1.thumb.jpg.13508d2860f4e9ecd8ff50ccc6e23b4c.jpg

I installed Nova Launcher as I didn't like the 2 launcher that came with it. Netflix/Disney+/Youtube/Amazon Video all works. 

338875542_260523982983829_1236404696849361973_n.thumb.jpg.59d0ebeb93309d9372fe9736d6719da5.jpg

Edited by jpinoy
  • Like 4

Thanks folks.  After long consideration, I decided on the Linkswell Gen5 12.1".  Thanks to MikeBMW for his recommendation of ADC Mobile.  I called Walt a couple times and he was very helpful.  Yesterday, I spoke to him and he said the units were in stock again.  I ordered last night.

I guess I'm old school.  I wanted a "built-in" looking unit.  The "floating screen" just doesn't appeal to me.  Most of the Crutchfield offerings are floating screen style, in the larger (9-11") screens.

Options I ordered were the Bose adapter, Denali trim, front camera, upgrade rear,  right side camera, anti-glare screen protector.   I was reluctant to give up the OEM HVAC controls, since they are very intuitive and minimize distraction to operate.   The Linkswell moves HVAC control to the screen, but does have some basic push-buttons along the sides of the screen.  

I'll post back when it arrives.

• Like 3