New Entertainment System & Display for 2014 SLT

Yup, Walt's a great guy, bought stuff from him before. Lots of these Android unit seem to run the same base OS, with each vendor tweaking it to their spec/liking. So, beside what extra's they put in, the customer/support services separates them. I heard/read Phoenix has bad after sales support on some of the forums.. but they are still selling like hotcakes.. :D

If my unit dies, then I'll most likely got with the Linkswell next. Didn't get them with the other Gen's as they were missing some of the OEM features I didn't want to give up, but they are getting better with including them now.

Congrats on the new setup! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jpinoy said:

Yup, Walt's a great guy, bought stuff from him before. Lots of these Android unit seem to run the same base OS, with each vendor tweaking it to their spec/liking. So, beside what extra's they put in, the customer/support services separates them. I heard/read Phoenix has bad after sales support on some of the forums.. but they are still selling like hotcakes.. :D

If my unit dies, then I'll most likely got with the Linkswell next. Didn't get them with the other Gen's as they were missing some of the OEM features I didn't want to give up, but they are getting better with including them now.

Congrats on the new setup! 

Is your Unit Android 9 or did you get the New Version with Android 11 ?

They messaged me Back & didn't Answer not 1 question I had regarding

RSE , My HDMI  input  & Rear Screen  😒🙄

1 hour ago, PAPER said:

Is your Unit Android 9 or did you get the New Version with Android 11 ?

They messaged me Back & didn't Answer not 1 question I had regarding

RSE , My HDMI  input  & Rear Screen  😒🙄

This has latest Android 11. Which vender did you message? I know the one on AliExpress is the one that said message them about the rear screen. Not sure if they would give you cables, as right now this unit doesn't have any HDMI input, might have to be an add-on. Pretty much all the connections are occupied.

I know the Linkswell has an add on HDMI module, but not sure how that would interact with your rear entertainment center. 

Walt from ADCmobile should have the answer for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpinoy said:

This has latest Android 11. Which vender did you message? I know the one on AliExpress is the one that said message them about the rear screen. Not sure if they would give you cables, as right now this unit doesn't have any HDMI input, might have to be an add-on. Pretty much all the connections are occupied.

I know the Linkswell has an add on HDMI module, but not sure how that would interact with your rear entertainment center. 

Walt from ADCmobile should have the answer for that.

I messaged the link from the video , The rear screen runs off of Bus Can commands 

on the Blue cables with the Mini usb , So you can't just plug in an hdmi cable .

Im sure there is some kind of Module . Maybe I'll try calling Walt . You can't even use any other screens , The OEM Screen deciphers the Can Bus Signals ( So I was told ) &

I tried changing mine to a bigger Alpine Screen & there was No Signal for picture .

Edited by PAPER
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, PAPER said:

I messaged the link from the video , The rear screen runs off of Bus Can commands 

on the Blue cables with the Mini usb , So you can't just plug in an hdmi cable .

Im sure there is some kind of Module . Maybe I'll try calling Walt . You can't even use any other screens , The OEM Screen deciphers the Can Bus Signals ( So I was told ) &

I tried changing mine to a bigger Alpine Screen & there was No Signal for picture .

wow, that is tough.. Hope Walt can help you out.

• Like 1

Got the gen5 yesterday.  Started installing today.  Got the basic wiring done today and fired it up. All ok. Tomorrow,  I'll wire the xm and cameras. 

20230403_100602.jpg

20230403_173903.jpg

20230403_173926.jpg

20230403_174110.jpg

• Like 5

20230404_130650.thumb.jpg.c4567ab8340eb1b496561c1bfc1eaf69.jpgMost of my day today was spent either running around for do-dads or waiting on replies to my questions to ADC Mobile. I did get the XM in no sweat, 2 connections.  But the cameras were somewhat  of a stumbling block for me. Replacing the rear backup OEM cam with a higher def cam was simply plug and play after opening the tailgate up and R&R the camera. I did have to drop the spare tire down a bit to get to some of the harness retaining clips. 

The front and right side mirror cams were not detailed in any written or video guidance.  There are a handful of loose pigtails that have no connectors and the labling leaves some doubt as to what goes where.  Additionally, there's some toggling of settings behind the factory settings menu that need to be made and are code protected.  These settings are not published nor did I find videos covering them.  Walt briefed me in a very short, concise email.  It worked as advertised.  Once I had the affirmation of the wiring connections from Walt, I ran around town until I found some single conductor Molex style connectors which made the wiring cleaner.  Walt has been great.  Couldn't have done without him.  Wish Linkswell was a lot more detailed on their instructions for the optional equipment.

I mocked up the cams and tested the right turn indicator actuation of the right mirror cam and tested the front cam as well. Tomorrow I should be able to route the wires for those cameras

20230404_075244.thumb.jpg.c7fba5b1ae37bd7583c263c60cae6df8.jpg

20230404_075512.thumb.jpg.45259782ad668a454f067d0d692ae604.jpg

Edited by Spurshot
  • Like 3

On 3/14/2023 at 5:06 PM, Spurshot said:

I spoke with Linkswell and Walt at ADC Mobile yesterday. 

Looks like the Gen 5 T-style is backordered for what could be months. 

ADC is running a special for $100 off. Walt said the backup lines are retained and provide original guidance (curving with steering). He described the HVAC system for me.  Access directly with the hard buttons on the side bring up the HVAC screen and control a feature (AC, Fan, etc.) or you can use the menu bar on the bottom to access the HVAC screen. He pretty much sold me on the system.  The only issues are that my SLT All Terrain appears to have a unique trim color (neither SLT nor Denali color).  I can either live with it or match all the trim myself with paints or something like a hydro-dip, or possibly a metal vapor deposition provider. 

On 3/30/2023 at 3:13 AM, jpinoy said:

So, I was in the same situation, been sitting on a T-style replacement that kept all the options(dynamic parking guide, steering wheel control, OEM options menu, XM, Onstar) I was looking at the Linkswell gen 5, but I didn't want to also buy the BOSE adapter, but I was running separate amp anyways, so might have not needed it. 

Saw a post of some guy on FB group that installed the one @PAPER posted about, msg that guy some questions and ordered it. Liking it so far, everything works for me. I really wanted the Linkswell.. but the price and extra adapter(if I really needed it) was way more than what I bought this one for. I think Linkswell and Phoenix has more system settings you can mess with compared to this one(might have hidden certain options in the menus), as long as all the stuff work, wasn't too worried about that part(yet). But this also had more RAM/Storage(8GB/128GB). 

I had bought the multi-cam(Rosta) from Walt when he first started selling it. Luckily, he lives about 30/mins away from me :). and that still works when I go into the Console part if I ever need to use it again. I used it all the time. I think you can buy a 360 add on kit for this unit, might check it out. Need to order the HD backup camera. 

Here's the unit installed in my truck. Going to vinyl wrap the trim parts like I did with my OEM trim. That black is too glossy for my taste. More picture in the other thread/post: What have you done to your K2 today

before_and_after1.thumb.jpg.13508d2860f4e9ecd8ff50ccc6e23b4c.jpg

I installed Nova Launcher as I didn't like the 2 launcher that came with it. Netflix/Disney+/Youtube/Amazon Video all works. 

338875542_260523982983829_1236404696849361973_n.thumb.jpg.59d0ebeb93309d9372fe9736d6719da5.jpg

Please let us know if you get the 360 cameras to work with this one. I know the Gen 5 Linkswell doesn't have the ability. I have a 2016 Sierra Denali and I'm on the fence right now. It's between the GM intellilink 3.0 like in the 2019 - 2022 that has the ability to run 5 cameras with intellihaul or a big screen. I love and really want the big screen but I have to have my 360 cameras

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SirDomas said:

Please let us know if you get the 360 cameras to work with this one. I know the Gen 5 Linkswell doesn't have the ability. I have a 2016 Sierra Denali and I'm on the fence right now. It's between the GM intellilink 3.0 like in the 2019 - 2022 that has the ability to run 5 cameras with intellihaul or a big screen. I love and really want the big screen but I have to have my 360 cameras

You're gonna lose the intellihaul with the Gen V.
Unfortunately. I did, but, for me, I'll live with the trade-off until there's an upgrade.
For now, I have the rear cam and front cam connected and placed my bed cam on the "turn" cam connection. Only shows when I select it on the cam menu.
I hope I can get my turn signal cams integrated with an updated unit.

Edited by MikeBMW

On 4/11/2023 at 10:30 PM, SirDomas said:

My multi-cam will work in regular console mode. Not sure I'm going to get the 360 cam anytime soon, since I'm ok with the current setup using it in console mode. If I do, I'll def post something. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 10:30 PM, SirDomas said:

So, just looking at the listing, it does state it supports original 360 camera. There is a live chat on their site, so you can verify with them.

Link to Product info and site

Newest Android 11 !
14.4″ QHD 2K 2560 x 1440 IPS Touch Screen !
Retain Original BOSE Premium Sound System !
Retain Original Sirius XM radio !
Retain Original OnStar Info System !
Retain Original Climate Control !
Retain Original 360 Cameras and Reverse Camera !
Retain Original Steering Wheel Control !
Factory OEM Fit, No modification is required !
No Mounting Bracket or Cutting Wiring is required !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hard for me to see spending that much money on an no name brand, no offense. I spent about the same on my Pioneer 8600NEX. Screen is not as big but I just trust a name like Pioneer that I have known all my life. Got the Maistro RR harness that retains all the stock settings. Also, I am not an Android guy so that probably plays a big part as well. 

On 4/29/2023 at 7:53 PM, josney said:

Hard for me to see spending that much money on an no name brand, no offense. I spent about the same on my Pioneer 8600NEX. Screen is not as big but I just trust a name like Pioneer that I have known all my life. Got the Maistro RR harness that retains all the stock settings. Also, I am not an Android guy so that probably plays a big part as well. 

My OEM head unit already had Carplay/AA, but wanted wireless version and bigger screen(all the extra stuff is bonus). Trying to justify the amount for a head unit of the same size wasn't going to cut it for me.. :D

I've been looking for quite some time, was looking at Linkswell, Sony XAV-9500ES and Alpine Halo11 iLX-F511. I wanted a bigger screen to split screen apps. Those couldn't do that for me, have to get what works best for you, regardless of the name brand. 

Not sure what not being an Android guy has to do with it, since pretty much all head units does Carplay/Android Auto. No offense taken, to each their own. I have Amazon/Apple/Google products at home, all serve it's purpose. One big happy family.. :D

Edited by jpinoy

Do any of you have a working screen you would be willing to sell cheap? I Teach Automotive classes at a small college in Texas and am trying to fix a truck for a guy that doesn't have any money. We do a lot of work for the women's shelter and people that can't afford 150 per hour shop rate. Thank you in advance.

Mark Yarnall