2022 1500 Turbo cooling pump.

I have a 2022 Silverado 1500 with 6,700 miles and has the Duramax in it. Went into the shop for check engine light and coolant smell, dealership called me today and said that the Turbo coolant pump went out and GM has zero stock..... Has anyone else ran into this issue before? I am starting to regret the choice of the Duramax at this point this is the second time it has been into the shop for a check engine light....

On 3/10/2023 at 3:33 PM, Cyoung725 said:

I have a 2022 Silverado 1500 with 6,700 miles and has the Duramax in it. Went into the shop for check engine light and coolant smell, dealership called me today and said that the Turbo coolant pump went out and GM has zero stock..... Has anyone else ran into this issue before? I am starting to regret the choice of the Duramax at this point this is the second time it has been into the shop for a check engine light....

Charge air cooler pump.  Its likely the connector is bad as well.  Common part at the moment.  

Edited by newdude

Yea sadly they told me today that ETA on the new part would be here around May 15th so 2 months from now..... They say you can come get it and drive it but just check fluid levels daily but there's a possibility if it goes out completely it could mess up the turbo... 

8 minutes ago, Cyoung725 said:

Yea sadly they told me today that ETA on the new part would be here around May 15th so 2 months from now..... They say you can come get it and drive it but just check fluid levels daily but there's a possibility if it goes out completely it could mess up the turbo... 

That pump has nothing to do with the turbo itself in terms of coolant feed to the turbo.  Coolant feed for the turbo is off the main engine cooling system.  

The charge air cooler pump (the one that's bad in your truck) is the pump that runs the coolant loop for the charge air cooler and the intercooler.  It is its own secondary low temperature cooling system loop.  Does NOT touch the engine cooling circuit at all.  

So you'd "potentially" see something like a charge air cooler performance code or maybe a reduced power if the pump weren't working to keep the intercooler and CAC regulated properly.  But that's it.  Its not tied to the coolant feed of the turbo itself.  

Here is what that aux pump handles:

Secondary Low Temperature Coolant Loop

This vehicle also utilizes a secondary coolant loop which circulates coolant to the Water Charge Air Cooler (WCAC), fuel cooler, and the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) injector via an auxiliary low temperature radiator and chassis mounted electric coolant pump. Coolant flows from the low temperature auxiliary electric coolant pump to the low temperature radiator and then to the fuel cooler and DEF injector prior to entering the WCAC. Coolant exiting the WCAC flows to the low temperature surge tank and the then back to the low temperature auxiliary electric coolant pump. There is a coolant temperature sensor located near the inlet to the WCAC.

The key features of the Secondary Low Temperature Coolant Loop include:

Low Temperature Auxiliary Coolant Pump

This pump provides coolant flow from the low temperature surge tank through the low temperature radiator and on to the fuel cooler, DEF injector and WCAC before returning to the low temperature surge tank.

Low Temperature Radiator

The radiator is a heat exchanger. It consists of a core and two end tanks. The aluminum core is a tube and fin crossflow design that extends from the inlet tank to the outlet tank. Fins are placed around the outside of these tubes to improve heat transfer to the atmosphere. The inlet and outlet tanks are a molded high temperature nylon reinforced plastic material. A high temperature rubber gasket seals the tank flange edge to the aluminum core. The tanks are clamped to the core with clinch tabs. The tabs are part of the aluminum header at each end of the core.

Water Charge Air Cooler

The WCAC is a heat exchanger the uses coolant flowing through tubes to cool the air passing outside of those tubes. The air is cooled in the WCAC after exiting the turbocharger before entering the intake manifold.

Coolant Temperature Sensor

The secondary low temperature cooling loop utilizes a coolant temperature sensor located near the inlet to the WCAC to monitor coolant temperature. This temperature signal is utilized by the ECM to control the low temperature auxiliary coolant pump.

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

newdude.....would a bad temp sensor (mentioned in your post) cause the aux pump NOT to work?  I'm getting 2 codes, U062F (pump) and U1345 (ECM communication) and I'm trouble shooting what the hell this could be.  I know the connector can go bad (because it's in a TERRIBLE spot) which would make the pump not kick on.....but would a bad temp sensor also cause the pump not to kick on?  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

53 minutes ago, Tom Wolski said:

newdude.....would a bad temp sensor (mentioned in your post) cause the aux pump NOT to work?  I'm getting 2 codes, U062F (pump) and U1345 (ECM communication) and I'm trouble shooting what the hell this could be.  I know the connector can go bad (because it's in a TERRIBLE spot) which would make the pump not kick on.....but would a bad temp sensor also cause the pump not to kick on?  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

You'd have a temp sensor code most likely as well.

DTC U062F is "Lost Communication with Low Temperature Loop Coolant Pump"