WT (or Pro), dlb cab long bed gasser availability, Please Educate Me

So with basically no research other than whats on my local dealers website and cargurus.com with stock images on the listings for both (which it seems are both BS), I had my heart set on a 2023 base model dbl cab, long bed 4wd gasser.  My local Chevy dealer said, 'oh no, those "coming soon" models go directly to our commercial contracting company and the beds get changed out for the bulky Readings outfittings or flat beds or whatever...which I don't want.  I want a normal 8ft bed with dbl cab and in a gasser.  So riddle me this, if I see a listing for my obscure specs, is it always going to be a outfitted commercial truck?  This has been very confusing for me.  I went across town to the gmc dealer (same owner).  The fella was super informative. He basically said unless you're a big fleet company that wants many of those base model long bed configs, you're not going to find that for retail and it will have to be a custom order, which Chevrolet no longer accepts dlb cab, long bed config on their website but GMC does and he said its a 3-4 month wait.  Is any or all of that true?  Crazy for me that config is being fazed out or now I have to custom order it.  I guess its now considered a unicorn.    

IMG_20230322_211727440.jpg

Edited by Austin66

32 minutes ago, Austin66 said:

So with basically no research other than whats on my local dealers website and cargurus.com with stock images on the listings for both (which it seems are both BS), I had my heart set on a 2023 base model dbl cab, long bed 4wd gasser.  My local Chevy dealer said, 'oh no, those "coming soon" models go directly to our commercial contracting company and the beds get changed out for the bulky Readings outfittings or flat beds or whatever...which I don't want.  I want a normal 8ft bed with dbl cab and in a gasser.  So riddle me this, if I see a listing for my obscure specs, is it always going to be a outfitted commercial truck?  This has been very confusing for me.  I went across town to the gmc dealer (same owner).  The fella was super informative. He basically said unless you're a big fleet company that wants many of those base model long bed configs, you're not going to find that for retail and it will have to be a custom order, which Chevrolet no longer accepts dlb cab, long bed config on their website but GMC does and he said its a 3-4 month wait.  Is any or all of that true?  Crazy for me that config is being fazed out or now I have to custom order it.  I guess its now considered a unicorn.    

IMG_20230322_211727440.jpg

It’s probably true. I’d special order it if you want that configuration. If I didn’t have kids, I’d probably like that configuration too. But the crew is so nice with three across the back and having tons of leg room so feet are not kicking my seat. 

The boss had an accident with a 2019 Ram 6.4 hemi cc/lb tradesman 4 months before now.  Totaled.  Just got a check cut for $43k from insurance for that.  The cc/lb for us was horrible coming from an 07 2500 5.7 Ram sc/lb before that.  Turning radius was hideous.  Had to make 3 point turns turning around in most cul-de-sacs.  We realized we don't need or have a 'crew'.  Just need enough space to throw stuff behind our seat that doesn't need to get wet.  Ford and GM are the only ones left that offer that setup and now GM seems to be cutting it loose.  Blows my mind this config is getting fazed out and is now a custom order.  

I just find is really sad that a dealership is so unwilling to take a customers money nowadays. People come in with wants and are willing to buy something if they can get it but they will just make excuses as to why you can't get something. Like in your case saying it's for their fleet customers only. If you can build it online you should be able to order it from a dealer.

• Like 2

How?  Do you mean under 'view inventory'?  My local dealers so-called inventory pops up in a refined search on chevrolet.com under 'view inventory', but again, they don't even hit the lot before they leave and get outfitted with a commercial bed and now its their commercial or fleet arm that sells them and its big corps that buy them up.  Very frustrating.  Maybe I should contact chevrolet directly?  Never seen such dishonestly in online vehicle listings before.

• Austin66 changed the title to WT (or Pro), dlb cab long bed gasser availability, Please Educate Me
13 hours ago, Austin66 said:

How?  Do you mean under 'view inventory'?  My local dealers so-called inventory pops up in a refined search on chevrolet.com under 'view inventory', but again, they don't even hit the lot before they leave and get outfitted with a commercial bed and now its their commercial or fleet arm that sells them and its big corps that buy them up.  Very frustrating.  Maybe I should contact chevrolet directly?  Never seen such dishonestly in online vehicle listings before.

Not trying to be a stalker here, but is it Carl Black?  Only going off the fact you have your location as Florida, and then picking a Florida zip on the Chevy inventory.  If so, when you run the VINs or read the window stickers, they are all equipped with option code ZW9 box delete.  So they are indeed ready for fleet upfit as they say.  They also are listed with "rear camera kit" which is because there isn't a box on the truck.  The camera kit is for use with a utility body.  

Of the 527 long box double WT within 1000mi of central Florida, 322 of them have no bed on them.  That leaves 205 with a bed.  

When you search the inventory on Chevy.com, go to the options lists on the left side and turn on the power release tailgate.  201 trucks come up within 1000mi of central Florida. 

Here's the link to the search I built up.  Hopefully it works:  Find a 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Near Me | Vehicle Locator (chevrolet.com)

Edited by newdude

14 minutes ago, newdude said:

Not trying to be a stalker here, but is it Carl Black?  Only going off the fact you have your location as Florida, and then picking a Florida zip on the Chevy inventory.  If so, when you run the VINs or read the window stickers, they are all equipped with option code ZW9 box delete.  So they are indeed ready for fleet upfit as they say.  They also are listed with "rear camera kit" which is because there isn't a box on the truck.  The camera kit is for use with a utility body.  

Of the 527 long box double WT within 1000mi of central Florida, 322 of them have no bed on them.  That leaves 205 with a bed.  

When you search the inventory on Chevy.com, go to the options lists on the left side and turn on the power release tailgate.  201 trucks come up within 1000mi of central Florida. 

Here's the link to the search I built up.  Hopefully it works:  Find a 2023 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Near Me | Vehicle Locator (chevrolet.com)

Yup, your link works. Shows what he’s looking for. Showing both rwd and 4wd options all long box ext cab white. 

op you should be good to go. Let us know how it works out. 

11 hours ago, newdude said:

Wow man, thank you!  No, I'm in N. FL.  I don't want to say where because as disappointed as I've been with this dealership publicly, they might be servicing our vehicle at some point!  We're willing to take a road trip though if it saves us a little.  I'll check out your search buildup and get on this tomorrow afternoon. 

So newdude, I only changed your search criteria to 4x4 only.  The first row has two listings that doesn't have the "Explore Payment Options" button but they both have 'WT FLEET CONVENIENCE PACKAGE'.  Are they spoken for in transit to a new owner or are they getting rigged out for fleet and/or commercial?  Thanks.

5 hours ago, Austin66 said:

So newdude, I only changed your search criteria to 4x4 only.  The first row has two listings that doesn't have the "Explore Payment Options" button but they both have 'WT FLEET CONVENIENCE PACKAGE'.  Are they spoken for in transit to a new owner or are they getting rigged out for fleet and/or commercial?  Thanks.

WT Convenience is just an equipment group aka option package.  

PCV   WT Convenience Package, includes (AQQ) Remote Keyless Entry, (QT5) EZ Lift power lock and release tailgate, (AKO) tinted windows, (C49) rear-window defogger, (K34) cruise control, (DBG) power trailer mirrors with heated upper glass and manual extending/folding; Regular Cab models also include (AXG) power windows, express up/down driver, (AED) power windows, express down passenger and (AU3) power door locks

As for whether they are in transit or on the ground and spoken for, I wouldn't have a way of knowing short of calling each one on the list and see if they have the truck available.  

I've probably called 9 or 10 dealers in a 1000 mile radius.  Every single one in inventory based on that search criteria has already been bought by fleet companies  before they hit the ground.  Chevrolet.com is not doing a very good job of updating their inventory.  Even asked chevy fleet reps 500 miles away to do an internal radius search.  And then finally, its not a WT but an LT and its not 2023 but 2024, but they found one and they're holding it for us and will be released from their regional facility fairly soon (we hope).  $5k more than a WT but we'll take what's out there because there is basically nothing out there in that style unless we want to wait months and months, which we don't.  Big ups to Kevin Walker at CarolinaWorkTrucks.com  And thank you guys for opening things up so atleast I can call around and ask questions and get more info.  

Edited by Austin66
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 5:07 PM, Austin66 said:

I've probably called 9 or 10 dealers in a 1000 mile radius.  Every single one in inventory based on that search criteria has already been bought by fleet companies  before they hit the ground.  Chevrolet.com is not doing a very good job of updating their inventory.  Even asked chevy fleet reps 500 miles away to do an internal radius search.  And then finally, its not a WT but an LT and its not 2023 but 2024, but they found one and they're holding it for us and will be released from their regional facility fairly soon (we hope).  $5k more than a WT but we'll take what's out there because there is basically nothing out there in that style unless we want to wait months and months, which we don't.  Big ups to Kevin Walker at CarolinaWorkTrucks.com  And thank you guys for opening things up so atleast I can call around and ask questions and get more info.  

Post pics when you get your new truck 

• 2 weeks later...

kinda sucks.......there was quite a few in california last cpl times i was looking for truck but thats too far from FL

youll like the LT, and you get the new interior

• 3 weeks later...

So I didn't update what was going on because I didn't want to jinx us but we got a truck Saturday.  The LT truck fell through, because once again, someone wasn't doing their job upstream.  Same day the LT fell through, Kevin (fella I was coordinating with) found a WT, which is really all we wanted to begin with.  $52k and some change out the door hauled down and dropped off to our drive way.

IMG_20230507_172101632.jpg

IMG_20230507_172126552.jpg

IMG_20230507_172157483.jpg

IMG_20230507_172430248.jpg

IMG_20230507_172612316.jpg