Borla exhaust #140833 and double cab long bed question

14 hours ago, the8rotor said:

I had the MBRP on my 21 GMC 2500 and loved it. No drone on the highway and a nice rumble at idle. 

Debating getting an exhaust kit or just deleting the muffler with straight pipe and putting a nice black exhaust tip on.  Shouldnt be too loud considering these trucks have three cats?

15 minutes ago, DuckBoi said:

Debating getting an exhaust kit or just deleting the muffler with straight pipe and putting a nice black exhaust tip on.  Shouldnt be too loud considering these trucks have three cats?

I have an extra oem exhaust and will be doing just that, deleting the oem muffler and adding an extra resonator. I can't justify paying more than a few hundred bucks for an exhaust, which was also why I went with the mbrp aluminized steel.

Just now, the8rotor said:

I have an extra oem exhaust and will be doing just that, deleting the oem muffler and adding an extra resonator. I can't justify paying more than a few hundred bucks for an exhaust, which was also why I went with the mbrp aluminized steel.

Do you know what steel GM uses for the oem exhaust?

5 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

All aluminized mild steel. I'm a certified welder (snob alert) and you can weld any mild steel or ss muffler to it no problem. 

Got it. I just worry about rust with aluminized steel since we got lots of road salt and snow here. 

2 minutes ago, DuckBoi said:

Got it. I just worry about rust with aluminized steel since we got lots of road salt and snow here. 

Definitely worth ss than for you. You can get your mild steel jet coated (paint shop) or high-temp enamel painted at home to reduce corrosion as well. After years of living in Minnesota, I realized everything eventually rusts 🤣

6 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

Definitely worth ss than for you. You can get your mild steel jet coated (paint shop) or high-temp enamel painted at home to reduce corrosion as well. After years of living in Minnesota, I realized everything eventually rusts 🤣

Hahaha yep everything does eventually rust thats why i was also considering just sticking with the aluminized steel then if i keep this truck long enough for the exhaust piping to rust through then upgrade to 409 or 304 stainless from the cats back straightpiped. 

• Like 1

i went with the borla xr1 round body 20'' long 5''dia 15''case 3.5 in/out summit pn bor-40086 (150.99$) and a piece of there stainless pipe 3.5 in summit pn sum-640235 (59.99$) and had my local buddy weld it in place of stock suitcase muffler. mine is a reg cab long bed soo no rear resonater is on it. and it sounds really good no drone in cab but throaty on the out side. my last truck had headers/true dual 3in/big cam/procharger so i wanted this truck more tame for normal truck stuff yet have a nice clean sound to it. 

On 4/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, DuckBoi said:

Go to YouTube and look for muffler delete for the Silverado 6.6l. Exhaust Addicts have video on doing deletes. 

I went with one from AFE Power. It is 409 stainless steel 4 inch pipes and muffler. I got it on sale for under $500. So far it sounds good. Haven't gotten to drive it much.