Front end low and stiff

So my '17 XL Denali (magneride, autolevel, 6ZS/7ZS springs) sits low in the front (at least I think it does, compared to others and the tires scrape on hard turns) and the front is excessively stiff. Almost feels like it's sitting on the bump stops. Rear end is fine, normal ride height and normal softness, very easy to jounce.

I unplugged the shock on the drivers side and tried jouncing the vehicle but it made no difference. Very stiff, especially compared to the rear which is nice. The shocks (and I think springs) are OEM, BWI.

So, can/do these springs sag this much over the course of 5 or 6 years? The shocks aren't leaking as far as I can tell.

Either way, I'll be replacing both with OEM, and will see what happens.

They do sag over time and it's more problematic with 22s.  You probably need the shocks re-calibrated or replaced.  They have a service life of about 7 years generally speaking.

Use GM OE components.  If memory serves, new Magneride struts need to be calibrated.

image.thumb.png.7868a58275ea01a8a254cd471c7dd7f1.png

This is from my shop manual, the previous generation to yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the shocks and springs with OEM. Driver's side shock was completely locked up and was pretty much sitting on the bump stop. Was a bear getting the spring off. Passenger side still moved but was also leaking. When I took the bottom shock bolts off the suspension dropped two inches. Not good haha

Rides much better now and I gained about two inches in the front. It's not butter smooth, but I'll take it over what it was. Maybe a calibration will improve the rider further. I'll give the dealer a call and see what they think.

• Like 1