Metallic slap, chirp type of noise

hard to explain. but my truck is making a metallic slap, chirp, rattle type of noise when going over abrupt bumps in the road. i thought it was my sled deck rubbing on the bed of the truck, but the deck is off the truck now. 

i have yet to pinpoint the location, but on occasion it sounds like it is coming from both the front and the rear. 

yesterday, i noticed when i hit the brakes, at the initial movement, there is a similar sound. (maybe pads moving on pins?)

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

well this issue seems like it is brake related. if i apply my brakes, right at the beginning, the chirp will occur.

also if i apply the brakes going over abrupt bumps, the chirp/rattle is not there. if i go over the same bumps without the brakes applied, the rattle is there.

thoughts?

I had my truck in yesterday for similar complaints. I describe my noise as a "squeak" when hitting bumps and/or bridge joints. Mine also seems to come from both sides. I also have the brake squeak which has been gradually getting worse. The tech heard my bump hitting squeak while out on a drive but he said I need to leave it with them longer in order to figure it out. They ordered new brake pads for all corners and will replace under the TSB.  I will have to make an appointment to get the pads replaced and will plan on it being with them for at least a day so hopefully they can figure out the other issue.

mine is a squeak/chirp as well. i am pretty sure it is coming from the pads and the pins. why is the question??

my pads are also starting to squeal at low speeds 🤦🏻

mine goes in friday

post what they find!

Edited by kylant
  • Like 1

update.

truck was at the dealer, tech heard the noise, thought it was from the suspension. greased the sh*t out of the ball joints. didn't change anything (I had just greased them). problem not fixed.

i mentioned (because they asked) a slight squeal of the brakes at parking lot speeds. they replaced the brake pads even though I did not ask for them to be replaced. 

I am convinced the chirping noise is coming from the pads or the pins. If i applied the brakes while sitting in the driveway, I can get the chirp/squeak to happen

update:

I took the time to take out each of the brake pads and grease the ears and the retaining hardware. the hardware was bone dry, the ears had a smidge of grease on them. I am surprised how easy the pads are to access and deal with (except the wear sensor).

anyway, the chirp, squeak, rattle is gone. I have yet to hear it since doing this. don't know what the root cause was, but i think it was the pads slightly rattling in the hardware

Edited by kylant