Another Tailgate Not Opening

Before the flaming starts, I've searched the forum and Google for my specific problem, but I'm not finding it.

2020 Silverado Trail Boss LT with 45,000 miles.  No power lift, no multipro.  Just a standard dampened gravity drop tailgate.  I do have a tonneau, but the tonneau is not the problem nor has it been a problem for the last 3 years.  Today I went to the grocery store to buy groceries for my family.  When I walked outside to put the groceries into the bed of my truck the tailgate wouldn't open when the button on the tailgate was pressed.  No click, and the tail lights didn't flash.  I tried a few times, but got the same result.  I then tried the key fob and the tailgate opened.  The switch on the instrument cluster also worked when I got home with the groceries and parked.  Playing with the button on the tailgate I was able to get it to open only a few times, but most times there was no click or flash of the tail lights.  Do you think button on the tailgate has failed, or could it be something else?  The button has been used almost daily several times per day.  Is it possible that it is just worn out?

Btw, I'm in San Diego, CA.  This is relevant, imo, to point out that I don't think this is weather related.  Weather here is far from extreme, even when at its worst.  I don't think wear or damage could be at play here. 

If anything, I think I could be just looking for a confirmation of my suspicion.  If I'm wrong please point it out.

If fob works and interior switch works, I would say tailgate switch is bad. If there were internal issues in the gate, then none of the others would work. I do not like how hard I have to press the outside switch on my new '23 so time will tell if it goes bad. 

12 hours ago, repairman54 said:

If fob works and interior switch works, I would say tailgate switch is bad. If there were internal issues in the gate, then none of the others would work. I do not like how hard I have to press the outside switch on my new '23 so time will tell if it goes bad. 

I tore into the tailgate last night and can't find any other issues.  I have started looking into how to test the switch with a multimeter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 9:15 PM, Transient said:

I tore into the tailgate last night and can't find any other issues.  I have started looking into how to test the switch with a multimeter.

Was it the tailgate switch that was bad? Did you fix it or are you using the other 2 methods to drop the tailgate?

On 6/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, RedLT said:

Was it the tailgate switch that was bad? Did you fix it or are you using the other 2 methods to drop the tailgate?

I'm sorry I dropped the ball on this thread.  I've been very busy getting ready for a cross country move.  It was the button on the tailgate.  RockAuto.com had a new one for $20 plus shipping.  Total came out $25.  Very easy to replace.  Open tailgate, remove large black plastic cover on tailgate.  Remove 2 bolts holding plastic assembly that contains switch, rear camera, and light.  Unplug switch.  Remove plastic assembly by pulling on it from the outside of the tailgate.  It's held on by 2 tension clips, but not difficult.  I did the pulling with my bare hands.  I didn't need tools for that part.  Unclip switch from plastic assembly.  Install new switch and put everything back together in reverse order you disassembled.  Took me only a couple minutes, and I'm not a professional mechanic.  Maybe 20 minutes max since I only used hand tools.  On a difficult scale of 10 I give this a 1 or 2 as long as you have the right tools.  Iirc the torx screws keeping the plastic liner on the tailgate are T20 or T25, and the 2 bolts holding the switch assembly onto the tailgate were 10mm.  I did need a pick or very small flat head screwdriver to remove the switch from the assembly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:51 AM, Transient said:

I'm sorry I dropped the ball on this thread.  I've been very busy getting ready for a cross country move.  It was the button on the tailgate.  RockAuto.com had a new one for $20 plus shipping.  Total came out $25.  Very easy to replace.  Open tailgate, remove large black plastic cover on tailgate.  Remove 2 bolts holding plastic assembly that contains switch, rear camera, and light.  Unplug switch.  Remove plastic assembly by pulling on it from the outside of the tailgate.  It's held on by 2 tension clips, but not difficult.  I did the pulling with my bare hands.  I didn't need tools for that part.  Unclip switch from plastic assembly.  Install new switch and put everything back together in reverse order you disassembled.  Took me only a couple minutes, and I'm not a professional mechanic.  Maybe 20 minutes max since I only used hand tools.  On a difficult scale of 10 I give this a 1 or 2 as long as you have the right tools.  Iirc the torx screws keeping the plastic liner on the tailgate are T20 or T25, and the 2 bolts holding the switch assembly onto the tailgate were 10mm.  I did need a pick or very small flat head screwdriver to remove the switch from the assembly.  

Thanks for bringing it back! Bonus points for the details.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, Transient said:

Just curious, did you test the old button with a multimeter? My upper button stopped working this week. It's not the disable "feature" as when I press the top button or hold it down for several seconds, the tail lights do not flash. Key is in pocket. Bottom button (full tailgate) works fine. I disconnected the plug closest to the button, hooked it up to the multimeter to run a continuity check and it does sound when you press the button. Stumped here.

12 hours ago, BostonBaked said:

Just curious, did you test the old button with a multimeter? My upper button stopped working this week. It's not the disable "feature" as when I press the top button or hold it down for several seconds, the tail lights do not flash. Key is in pocket. Bottom button (full tailgate) works fine. I disconnected the plug closest to the button, hooked it up to the multimeter to run a continuity check and it does sound when you press the button. Stumped here.

Yes.  My button was completely dead.