What is a safe gap for the 5th wheels from the bed rails?

On our Reflection 337RLS I have a little over 5 1/2" to the top of the tonneau rail. Without the rail its almost 7 " to the box. After 2 yrs we have never cut it close even on some less than level sites. My hitch is at the highest setting and I dropped my standard pinbox down one set of holes when I first set it up. The trailer sits really close to level but may be just a tiny bit nose high. Not much I could do to change that if I wanted to. 

This is our first fifth wheel and as much as I hate losing the covered bed for the bikes and stuff I could never see myself going back to a bumper pull. The 5er is so much easier to maneuver at the gas station. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 64BAwagon said:

On our Reflection 337RLS I have a little over 5 1/2" to the top of the tonneau rail. Without the rail its almost 7 " to the box. After 2 yrs we have never cut it close even on some less than level sites. My hitch is at the highest setting and I dropped my standard pinbox down one set of holes when I first set it up. The trailer sits really close to level but may be just a tiny bit nose high. Not much I could do to change that if I wanted to. 

This is our first fifth wheel and as much as I hate losing the covered bed for the bikes and stuff I could never see myself going back to a bumper pull. The 5er is so much easier to maneuver at the gas station. 

This was my exact dilemma... and I do regret getting the bumper pull sometimes. Less than ideal gas stations make for a grumpy driver 🤣

Its not that I cant get through the pumps, its the lack of awareness and basic courtesy of the other malfunctioning carbon units. People will sit at the end pump and play on their phones rather than pull up and let me in. 

I try to stay with Loves stops since many are newer and have better spacing. My new favorite is Buckees. I hope they keep expanding. 

On 5/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, 64BAwagon said:

Thank you for your response.  I did say 5th wheel but the only way I would do this is with a goosebox.  I hate those heavy ass 5th wheel hitches and the room they take up.  And that might bring on more challenges because the ball is bed height.  So what from you are saying rounded up 6" is kind of the safe height above the bed rails....Is that correct sir?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

Its not that I cant get through the pumps, its the lack of awareness and basic courtesy of the other malfunctioning carbon units. People will sit at the end pump and play on their phones rather than pull up and let me in. 

I try to stay with Loves stops since many are newer and have better spacing. My new favorite is Buckees. I hope they keep expanding. 

Being a Texan, Bucees are the happiest places on Earth 🤣. We legitimately go there as something to-do with the kids. We then have a picnic in the back of the truck eating all them Bucees foods.

3 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

Being a Texan, Bucees are the happiest places on Earth 🤣. We legitimately go there as something to-do with the kids. We then have a picnic in the back of the truck eating all them Bucees foods.

We have a Bucees here in GA right near where our son lives in Byron, GA.  We drove around it but never went in.  It looks like an amazing place.  It appears they did it right the first time...

I happen to pass two on the way to visit my father in law in NC. One in Georgia and one on I-95 towards Fayetteville. Both are new. I’ve visited both. Usually there’s a loves close by and relatively empty because of the new bucees. Being I’m a destination type of guy and Loves having a chain restaurant. I pick those. I’m not there to visit. One of the nicest things about a place like Bucees. It makes the others pick up their game for cleaning. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

We have a Bucees here in GA right near where our son lives in Byron, GA.  We drove around it but never went in.  It looks like an amazing place.  It appears they did it right the first time...

We stopped there in March 2022, shortly after it opened. Cheapest gas between FL and MI on that trip. Unfortunately it blew up to $4.49 per gallon while we were in Stone mountain. Not the kind of thing you want happening when youre 700 miles from home. 

3 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

We stopped there in March 2022, shortly after it opened. Cheapest gas between FL and MI on that trip. Unfortunately it blew up to $4.49 per gallon while we were in Stone mountain. Not the kind of thing you want happening when youre 700 miles from home. 

They did get sued for selling their gas so cheap at one point.  I'm not sure what has happened from when I read that article but yeah, they were willing to sell gas at a loss because they were making so much money on their merchandise.