Yes this is off topic but kind of a cool topic at the same time...So where did you grow up at?

Jettech1

Me....I was born in Presque Isle Maine...Grew up in Naples, Maine in the Lake region area...went to school in Boston to be an aircraft mechanic...Now have lived in Atlanta for 36 years ...looking forward to retiring in Bama somewhere.  We are looking but haven't decided where...Anniston, Pell City, etc etc....if any of you live in bama let me know.  I probably have another 3 to 4 years at Delta but we are looking.... so where are you all now as compared to where you grew up at?  Oh and get a load of this...my dad was State Patrol...yup Maine State Police...tell me that didn't suck growing up...lol....he was a great guy but damn, being the son of a state trooper back in 70's and 80's.....yeah, not fun at all...lol....I got my ass beat so many times..."your dad gave my dad a ticket"...bam...got my ass beat...luckily when I hit 15, I grew up so to speak, like 6 1....so I beat their asses badly from all that bullying they gave me...thank you lord for giving me height and tolerance at the same time.   

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 4

I grew up in New Jersey. At 12 started working for local farmers until I got my license at 17. Worked at a Getty station for 6 months. My freshman year our high school went to split sessions. Started working in my father’s construction business after school. Met my wife at 17 in school an army brat. Her family got orders overseas. We got married and went together to our senior year. A few years later we fled New Jersey. Her family after military retirement ended up in Texas as well. After owning a few businesses solo ended up in the family business. Happily retired. In one year almost exactly 50 years married with two girls and a boy. And 10 grandchildren and a dog. And being this is an enthusiast site over 100 cars and trucks. Mostly performance or made that way. 

• Like 5

I grow up in LaSalle IL. At 15 a woman offered me a job cleaning her garage on Saturday mornings. Turns out her garage was a GMC - Diamond T garage. By the time I graduated college 7 years later, I was a full mechanic. Only quit because I didn't like the union. Still do a lot of work on my own vehicles plus have several old tractors to play with. Married my high school sweetheart. Have 3 kids and 7 grandkids. Been married 52 years. Moved into data processing. Worked multiple locations, mostly in WI and MN. Retired in 2012 to Minong WI (home of Jack Link Jerky). It's about 50 miles south of Duluth. Winters can be a little tough up here. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I grew up in New Jersey. At 12 started working for local farmers until I got my license at 17. Worked at a Getty station for 6 months. My freshman year our high school went to split sessions. Started working in my father’s construction business after school. Met my wife at 17 in school an army brat. Her family got orders overseas. We got married and went together to our senior year. A few years later we fled New Jersey. Her family after military retirement ended up in Texas as well. After owning a few businesses solo ended up in the family business. Happily retired. In one year almost exactly 50 years married with two girls and a boy. And 10 grandchildren and a dog. And being this is an enthusiast site over 100 cars and trucks. Mostly performance or made that way. 

I love it!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rdonarski said:

I grow up in LaSalle IL. At 15 a woman offered me a job cleaning her garage on Saturday mornings. Turns out her garage was a GMC - Diamond T garage. By the time I graduated college 7 years later, I was a full mechanic. Only quit because I didn't like the union. Still do a lot of work on my own vehicles plus have several old tractors to play with. Married my high school sweetheart. Have 3 kids and 7 grandkids. Been married 52 years. Moved into data processing. Worked multiple locations, mostly in WI and MN. Retired in 2012 to Minong WI (home of Jack Link Jerky). It's about 50 miles south of Duluth. Winters can be a little tough up here. 

Great stuff and history!!

I was born within the Milkyway galaxy. Gearhead from birth. Many children and many more grandchildren. Some 'normal' (middle crazy) and a few that are a bit confused, but I'm hopeful. Not sure where or if I ever grew up. I've traveled allot. May have happened somewhere along the way, or not.  See where the kids get the confusion? Actually, I'm not sure what the term means. 

Oil/gas/chemical was my vocation, and I wore a ton of hats within that field. Outhouse to the penthouse. Cleaned the bathrooms and fired executives/board members and was good at it. Loved my work. LOVED my work and I love machines. I love God, the idea of man's law (execution is iffy) and the absolute of Gods and classical music. People, not so much. People are as unpredictable as a flask of Nitro in a room with a drunk monkey running a jackhammer and just as volatile. Still, I've managed a few really solid friendships. Wife is chief among that exceedingly short list. And I have a list of possibles in progress. We'll see. Dad promised to return from the dead and kick my backside if I die with more than I can count on one hand with a few fingers remaining. 

Lessons learned? Blood is not thicker than water. Truth is not relative or situational. Our understanding of it may be. God's love is extended to everyone. Few accept it. He has boundaries, so do I.  The best dog will only turn on its owner if in enough pain. People do it when you are no longer useful or profitable.  You find the best friend when you are the best friend. Not everyone will reciprocate that.   Revenge is a dish best not served, period. Be good for your word even if it hurts you. You will get better at it. Family is not a matter of genetics. Success is the measuring stick someone else holds against you if your foolish enough accept it. I choose contentment. Cost less, goes further requires no ones approval. He who dies with the most toys....is still dead. Never underestimate the value of a good therapist, wife doesn't want to bear that burden. Dogs are better at it and don't mind listening at all. Plus, you can change your mind or direction saying those things you can't take back and didn't mean without damaging the relationship. Ignorance is correctable. Stupidity is willful. Kind of in the definition. 

• Like 4

I was born and grew up in Vancouver, BC in the 50's to 70's in a middle class family.  I was the youngest of four and my siblings were my role models.  I left home and school at 17 to pursue independence and a career in a bakery as I felt that I'd outgrown the need for parental supervision!   I soon realized that, unlike my siblings, I missed a few steps in my haste  to grow up and I soon returned to school and a more age appropriate lifestyle.  During this period I fell for a girl with similar demographics and we combined our efforts to make a memorable life together.  I am now retired from a career in school administration that found me and my family living in some very remote northern communities as well as urban environments.  We now live in a small city close to Vancouver.  Our most popular travel destination is a city very close to Karnut, Texas - home to 3/4 of our grandteens! 

• Like 5

Born in Lake Forest Illinois, hopped the border to WI years ago. Grew up dirt, dirt poor. Tape and toilet paper for Band-Aids. Mom was (and is) great, dad was a crusty Vietnam vet with a drinking problem. Got a paper route when I was 12. Couldn’t work or make money fast enough after not having “enough” of what I wanted as a kid. Did a few odd jobs before getting hired at a national department store. Had the alarm code and keys to the store by age 19. Spent over a decade doing retail management while simultaneously trying anything and everything else to not only make more money but be my own boss.

First side business was going to junkyards all over the region to find rare parts that I could sell for good money on eBay. Then I got into boats as a hobby, and started fixing up and selling marine electronics. Fishfinders, GPS, radar, etc. Took a shine to that, and currently own and operate a large company specializing in these second hand items. Love learning how stuff works and keeping it out of the dump. 

In my free time I fish, tinker with my vehicles, and hang out with my wife and son more than anything. Obviously need money to live and want continued success, but losing some of that tunnel vision and making new friends, hobbies and memories has been a worthy trade. Won’t pretend I have life figured out yet but I’m getting there.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Born in Lake Forest Illinois, hopped the border to WI years ago. Grew up dirt, dirt poor. Tape and toilet paper for Band-Aids. Mom was (and is) great, dad was a crusty Vietnam vet with a drinking problem. Got a paper route when I was 12. Couldn’t work or make money fast enough after not having “enough” of what I wanted as a kid. Did a few odd jobs before getting hired at a national department store. Had the alarm code and keys to the store by age 19. Spent over a decade doing retail management while simultaneously trying anything and everything else to not only make more money but be my own boss.

First side business was going to junkyards all over the region to find rare parts that I could sell for good money on eBay. Then I got into boats as a hobby, and started fixing up and selling marine electronics. Fishfinders, GPS, radar, etc. Took a shine to that, and currently own and operate a large company specializing in these second hand items. Love learning how stuff works and keeping it out of the dump. 

In my free time I fish, tinker with my vehicles, and hang out with my wife and son more than anything. Obviously need money to live and want continued success, but losing some of that tunnel vision and making new friends, hobbies and memories has been a worthy trade. Won’t pretend I have life figured out yet but I’m getting there.

I love it!!

14 hours ago, Donstar said:

I was born and grew up in Vancouver, BC in the 50's to 70's in a middle class family.  I was the youngest of four and my siblings were my role models.  I left home and school at 17 to pursue independence and a career in a bakery as I felt that I'd outgrown the need for parental supervision!   I soon realized that, unlike my siblings, I missed a few steps in my haste  to grow up and I soon returned to school and a more age appropriate lifestyle.  During this period I fell for a girl with similar demographics and we combined our efforts to make a memorable life together.  I am now retired from a career in school administration that found me and my family living in some very remote northern communities as well as urban environments.  We now live in a small city close to Vancouver.  Our most popular travel destination is a city very close to Karnut, Texas - home to 3/4 of our grandteens! 

Great stuff, thank you for sharing!

22 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I was born within the Milkyway galaxy. Gearhead from birth. Many children and many more grandchildren. Some 'normal' (middle crazy) and a few that are a bit confused, but I'm hopeful. Not sure where or if I ever grew up. I've traveled allot. May have happened somewhere along the way, or not.  See where the kids get the confusion? Actually, I'm not sure what the term means. 

Oil/gas/chemical was my vocation, and I wore a ton of hats within that field. Outhouse to the penthouse. Cleaned the bathrooms and fired executives/board members and was good at it. Loved my work. LOVED my work and I love machines. I love God, the idea of man's law (execution is iffy) and the absolute of Gods and classical music. People, not so much. People are as unpredictable as a flask of Nitro in a room with a drunk monkey running a jackhammer and just as volatile. Still, I've managed a few really solid friendships. Wife is chief among that exceedingly short list. And I have a list of possibles in progress. We'll see. Dad promised to return from the dead and kick my backside if I die with more than I can count on one hand with a few fingers remaining. 

Lessons learned? Blood is not thicker than water. Truth is not relative or situational. Our understanding of it may be. God's love is extended to everyone. Few accept it. He has boundaries, so do I.  The best dog will only turn on its owner if in enough pain. People do it when you are no longer useful or profitable.  You find the best friend when you are the best friend. Not everyone will reciprocate that.   Revenge is a dish best not served, period. Be good for your word even if it hurts you. You will get better at it. Family is not a matter of genetics. Success is the measuring stick someone else holds against you if your foolish enough accept it. I choose contentment. Cost less, goes further requires no ones approval. He who dies with the most toys....is still dead. Never underestimate the value of a good therapist, wife doesn't want to bear that burden. Dogs are better at it and don't mind listening at all. Plus, you can change your mind or direction saying those things you can't take back and didn't mean without damaging the relationship. Ignorance is correctable. Stupidity is willful. Kind of in the definition. 

Can I just say I love the way you write?  You must be a writer for some kind of publication.

• Thanks 1