Interior Dome light - Add or upgrade existing

I can't be the only one who feels the stock interior dome lights are sub-par. I need to get more light in the cab. I'm leaning towards adding a couple Baja Design's dome lights. One for the front row and another for the rear. Has anyone added any lighting to supplement the stock dome lights? I assume there are not upgrades available for the existing lights.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 11:30 AM, Elite130 said:

I can't be the only one who feels the stock interior dome lights are sub-par. I need to get more light in the cab. I'm leaning towards adding a couple Baja Design's dome lights. One for the front row and another for the rear. Has anyone added any lighting to supplement the stock dome lights? I assume there are not upgrades available for the existing lights.

I couldnt agree with you more. I am still trying to find my way around the interior so when I get back from camping this week I should have a better idea where I am going to consentrate to put some lights. The first step will determine where to tap into the lighting system.

The only access I have found for interior lighting is in one of the blocks on the BCM plugs. There is an instruction manual (document ID 5862954) for adding lighted thresholds as an accessory that details where to access it the power. The 20-23 HD models could be tapped into on a gray wire under the glovebox but the 24's are different. 

The 24 instructions I saw require a new pin to be placed in a connector, the pins are not easy to find and much care is needed when removing the plug and adding the pin. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SC's reply is correct. The '24's cabin wiring is altogether new and different from <'23. 

He said he used two GM clear cab clearance lamps, to tap into the sill plate kit X1 pin #1 voltage  supply. I do not know what those clearance LED's voltage rating is. SC said they work well

The cabin lighting is terrible I agree. Can't even see the running boards at night to get a safe step.

I'm still fighting to build a safe add-on circuit off the Dome/Map LED feed, to power a low milli-amp coil draw small 12 vdc. relay fed from a Piggyback 5 amp fuse off the fuse box. This not to draw hardly any current off the Dome / Map circuit.

If not done correctly, will damage that digital power circuit in the BCM, if overloaded, or produce error codes, or both.

There is a illuminated sill plate option / kit, that taps into the BCM X1 plug pin #1, comes on /off with the Dome/Map lights.

I found the Molex brand wire terminal GM p/n pic attached. This is the type included in the sill light kit. So not to purchase that expensive sill kit, just for the harness.

Pic attached is what I added to my '24 so far. Temp power to test directly off the fuse box 12 vdc.  4 ea. KC Hi-Lite Cyclone pucks is what I used, draw .4 amps ea.

There is a You Tube video from Don's Life, on his AT4X, adding an aftermarket interior lighting kit. Runs off the fuse box tap in, and controlled with a Bluetooth phone App or it's own hard-wire remote. Don't  think it can be made to be also switched from the Dome lamp circuit.

GM really blew it on this one. Shame Shame. Even my old '03 Tahoe had lights on the door map pockets, lit up the running boards well.

'24 GMC DENALI CAB FOOTWELL LED LIGHTING ADDED.jpg

Denali Illuminated Door Sill Kit #85136964.jpg

'24 GMC X1 SILL LEAD WIRE.jpg

• Like 1

Look for a thread I posted about adding lights to a 2024 interior. If you search document ID 85527849 it will give you the GM instructions for a connection to the power for the interior lighting. This method is straight from GM if you want to add lighting for the floor. I put 2 simple clear led lights in the underside of the dash at the drivers and front passengers position. 

20230917_175121.jpg

20230917_171823.jpg

• Like 1