Transfer case fluid

Have a 2003 GMC 2500HD that I recently did breakin maint. on. I did both differentials, crankcase & transfer case. I bought the autotrac fluid from GM since I have a pushbutton rather than a manual control. I was suprised when I pulled the drain plug and "red" fluid ran out. When I called the dealership he said all HD's are considered manual transfer cases, even though they operate with a pushbutton, and to refill using Dexron 111, so that's what I did. Does this info sound correct? Thanks.

Yes. The Autotrac transfer case is only available on the 1500's. The Autotrac refers to the fact that you can put your truck into an auto mode so when your on a slick surface you would be in 2 wheel untill slippage is detected then the transfer case engages the front wheels throught the clutch packs in the case. The 2500 models do not have this option. They can be placed into 4 wheel drive by push buttons instead of a manual lever. Just that the case itself is not an Autotrac.

You can use any quality dextron III ATF fluid in your t-case. For the amount that it takes, upgrading to a synthetic fluid lik Mobil 1 ATF or AMSOIL would benefit. Helps to keep it clean and running free on those super cold mornings. Not to mention running cooler on those hot summer days. Of course this all depends on where your located in the world. :crackup:

A good way to tell if you have an AutoTrak automatic transfer case:

If you have FOUR buttons for the shift, and the top button is round and has AUTO 4WD: you have the AutoTrak and MUST use the AC Delco AutoTrak II fluid. The factory fill and the over-the-counter fluid is blue, like a Smurf.

If you have THREE buttons labeled 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO (Or whatever confusing icon GM now uses on the newer +2002 trucks): you have a regular two-speed transfer case and should use Dexron III ATF. This is red of course.

I suppose you could leave the AutoTrak fluid in, ask your service manager about that.

Yes you can use the blue Autotrack fluid in all transfer cases. It is synthetic and my dealer puts it in all T-cases as a cure for any noise complaints. They say it cures most, not all complaints. It's priced similar to other synthetis ATF's too.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Yeah, good point.

I paid around $7 a quart for the AC Delco AutoTrak II fluid. Mobil 1 ATF costs $5.25. So it isn't totally outrageous.

Not like their Goodwrench Synthetic 75W-90 at +$25 a quart. Puh-lease!

Okay, now I'm confused. My 3/4 ton Suburban (03) has the auto function (4 buttons). It also has * bolt wheel pattern and 9600# towing capacity. I called the Stealer and they told me to use Smurf oil. Amsoil tech line also said that the Smurf stuff is proprietary and Amsoil does not have a product that they can say will work. What case do I have and what happens if you use the wrong lube?

Superbee

Okay, now I'm confused. My 3/4 ton Suburban (03) has the auto function (4 buttons). It also has * bolt wheel pattern and 9600# towing capacity. I called the Stealer and they told me to use Smurf oil. Amsoil tech line also said that the Smurf stuff is proprietary and Amsoil does not have a product that they can say will work. What case do I have and what happens if you use the wrong lube?

Superbee

Yep, the "heavy duty" Burban can be equipped with Autotrak. You can even get QuadraSteer, which would be awesome.

There is a clutch pack inside the automatic transfer case that requires special friction modifiers. Only the AC Delco AutoTrak II fluid contains these special friction modifiers.

If you use the wrong fluid, the regular 4HI and 4LO will still work, but the Automatic function will stop working. The clutch pack may chatter, slip/grab, make noises.

Use the correct fluid.

• 3 years later...

When I filled the T-Cases on my K-10 and Bronco, I just kept filling til it came out, then I let the excess drain til it was a slow drip. On the Bronco I overfilled by a quart (stupid tube didn't allow drainback) and I jacked up the front end to get a lot of it out.

Archived