Disconnect Center Stack Tailgate Button

MrLeadFoot

I (and possibly others on this forum) would like to disable the interior tailgate button. To be clear, I don't want to disable my INNER tailgate, I want to disable the button that sits on the center stack below the dash. I want to maintain functionality of the buttons on the tailgate itself, and my key fob, so removing a relay or fuse is not the answer. I'm thinking the only way to accomplish this is to disconnect the wiring from the center stack button itself. I understand that it is possible that doing so might interrupt power to the entire tailgate circuit, but I doubt it. That said, my questions are:

1) Has anyone done this and achieved the desired result I'm describing?

2) Does anyone know how to access the connector that goes to that button?

Of course, if you know of an alternative way of accomplishing this I would appreciate hearing from you, as well. 

TIA

Edited by MrLeadFoot

• MrLeadFoot changed the title to Disconnect Center Stack Tailgate Button

Firstly, it's involved to get behind the switches in the first place on a refresh, and there is no telling if removing the connector will disable the other functionality.  Are you accidently hitting the button?  What about pushing the button down adding some super glue and quickly releasing the button in place, if you are trying to avoid accidental drops? 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:13 PM, MrLeadFoot said:

Of course, if you know of an alternative way of accomplishing this I would appreciate hearing from you, as well. 

TIA

Squirt some super glue in the sides of the button.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, MrMagloo said:

Firstly, it's involved to get behind the switches in the first place on a refresh, and there is no telling if removing the connector will disable the other functionality.  Are you accidently hitting the button?  What about pushing the button down adding some super glue and quickly releasing the button in place, if you are trying to avoid accidental drops? 

Yes, it gets hit accidentally ALOT! Even putting things in the storage tray below the center stack can cause an accidental bump. Once, a passenger's water bottle tipped over and bumped it. I see no use for it, and even if it might be convenient at times, it's certainly not worth the risk of being bumped when you're parked, rear first, close to a wall!

But, are you serious about using Super Glue? I don't want to ruin it, in case I somehow discover its usefulness, and want it to work again.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Pretty sure it's like the previous year trucks. There is not an individual switch with wires there. It's more of a circuit board of switches that send a signal to a relay.

Are you trying to say that I can't just unplug something? Any idea of how we might I confirm this?

Edited by MrLeadFoot

On 9/24/2023 at 6:39 PM, TrueBlue said:

Superglue, or possibly wedging it up with something that is all but invisible. Necessity is the mother of invention afterall.

Hmmm, so you're saying I have to Mickey-Mouse it with something? Have you done anything like this to a button like this, or are you just trying to help me think outside the box?

I've done things like this. What you're trying to do is to make the button inoperable. What I'm suggesting is to wedge something against it to prevent it from moving. Done right it could be later removed without a trace. Superglue isn't a bad idea either, and in fact could be used in conjunction with some type of "wedge".

Thanks for elaborating on the part about wedging something in there. Kind of like me carrying an oddball-designed flat wrench in my truck for when I take my boat to the lake. I wedge it in the seat belt receptacle so I don't have to keep putting the seatbelt on when launching the boat and parking, and pulling out of the water at the end of the day. On the other hand, I'm not sure how Super Glue wouldn't end up being a permanent thing in regards to the tailgate button, you know what I mean?

Edited by MrLeadFoot

I do know what you mean, but superglue can be dissolved. Used in conjunction with a piece of toothpick for instance a very small amount could be used to keep the toothpick in place, and the toothpick could be wedge that would keep the button stable. Just gotta look at it closely and improvise, in such a way that you don't mar the button or the center stack. Just like you did with your seatbelt idea.

Maybe fabricate a simple cover for the switch that you could attach either above or below it? I'm not out in my truck but there must be a surface the cover could attach to and cover the switch which would prevent accidentally pushing it. 

Well, I spent some time trying to wedge something under the button, between the button and the trim piece below it, but that won't work. The trim piece is quite flexibile and the button is sensitive, so when you press on the button, the "wedge" just causes the trim piece to flex downwards enough so the button triggers. I think our only hope is to find someone who is pulling their center stack to put in an Auto Stop eliminator harness in and have them see what happens if you disconnect the plug to the tailgate button. Does it interrupt the circuit altogether, or does it simply cause the button not to function? I'll post another topic to see if I can grab the attention of someone who is doingt he Auto Stop mod in the near future.

Ok, so I just went out and looked closely at my center stack. If it were me and I was just trying to immobilize that button, from casual/accidental presses, I would try to craft a small piece of plastic, or kydex to fit between the underside of the button lip, and the trim piece. I think a piece about 1/4" front to back and just short of the full width of the button would work. It looks like a piece of the right thickness could be pressed into the gap firmly enough that it would stay in place. If that failed, using an L-shaped piece with both legs matching the dimensions above might work because the front side of the L would prevent the back side from slipping down into the gap between the button and the trim. A spot of superglue might also help in either case.

Barring anything like that, have you considered using a bright red sticker, applied to the button top, to remind you to stay away from it?

Personally I would exhaust all possibilities before I removed the trim and center stack to "fix" the issue. Plastic pieces don't always go back together as tightly and well aligned as they were originally. Squeaks and rattles often are the end result. Door panels come to mind when thinking of this, but it also holds true for a lot of parts on vehicles these days both inside and outside of the vehicle.

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Ok, so I just went out and looked closely at my center stack. If it were me and I was just trying to immobilize that button, from casual/accidental presses, I would try to craft a small piece of plastic, or kydex to fit between the underside of the button lip, and the trim piece. I think a piece about 1/4" front to back and just short of the full width of the button would work. It looks like a piece of the right thickness could be pressed into the gap firmly enough that it would stay in place. If that failed, using an L-shaped piece with both legs matching the dimensions above might work because the front side of the L would prevent the back side from slipping down into the gap between the button and the trim. A spot of superglue might also help in either case.

Barring anything like that, have you considered using a bright red sticker, applied to the button top, to remind you to stay away from it?

Personally I would exhaust all possibilities before I removed the trim and center stack to "fix" the issue. Plastic pieces don't always go back together as tightly and well aligned as they were originally. Squeaks and rattles often are the end result. Door panels come to mind when thinking of this, but it also holds true for a lot of parts on vehicles these days both inside and outside of the vehicle.

Thanks for trying, but as I said in my previous post, wedging something doesn't work, because the bottom trim piece just flexes down, allowing the button to move just enough to trigger the circuit and open the tailgate. The only other thing I can think of is putting a long piece of something under the button and bracing against the floor of the storage space, which is a long way, and would compromise the opening of the storage space. I can't believe there is no way to easily disable this damned thing!