Disconnect Center Stack Tailgate Button

MrLeadFoot

On 10/17/2023 at 12:36 PM, TrueBlue said:

I have the 60/40 split in my truck. It's actually two buckets with a middle seat between them. My shifter is on the column. So my setup is different than yours and the trim looks different (to me). I think you're issue would have been a bit more straightforward to solve than it was on your truck.

This picture is not of my truck, but is identical to what mine looks like.

interiorCenter.jpg

This one below is of my truck and shows the difference from yours a bit better though the area where you needed the fix is not as clear.

Sorry I didn't see this until just now, but better late than never.

I can see that people with your model have no issue bumping the button. No wionder @newdudethought it was a "me" problem. It would be really hard for you guys to bump the button on your models.

In my model the center stack is in an entirely different location, and the buttons all seemingly "float" right above a very useful temporary storage area, in which items are placed and removed often. Having to go over the shifter then down under the button stack is the issue.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2024 at 7:52 PM, MrLeadFoot said:

Sorry I didn't see this until just now, but better late than never.

I can see that people with your model have no issue bumping the button. No wionder @newdudethought it was a "me" problem. It would be really hard for you guys to bump the button on your models.

In my model the center stack is in an entirely different location, and the buttons all seemingly "float" right above a very useful temporary storage area, in which items are placed and removed often. Having to go over the shifter then down under the button stack is the issue.

Ah, but it is a you issue.  I just put 200mi on an AT4 refresh at work, so same interior as your Denali.  Not once did I hit the tailgate button.  Why?  Because I don't have crap laying in an area where it would get it.

So its a you/people who leave too much or too large objects in the console near that switch bank.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, newdude said:

Ah, but it is a you issue.  I just put 200mi on an AT4 refresh at work, so same interior as your Denali.  Not once did I hit the tailgate button.  Why?  Because I don't have crap laying in an area where it would get it.

So its a you/people who leave too much or too large objects in the console near that switch bank.  

I put nothing in that space except a sunglasses case. Put anything in that space enough and I guarantee you will bump a button by mistake. Bumping another button is no big deal, but bumping that tailgate button can cause damage.

No offense, but 200 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things. That's one 3 hour trip. Even if those 200 miles were the result of daily trips over 1 week, that's only getting in and out a handful of times, and likely not even enough to need to use that tray. Drive it for a year everyday and then we'll talk. For months I didn't even put anything that tray. Only when I started putting a glasses case in there did I notice it start happening. Not to mention a passenger whose water bottle tipped over and bumped the button.

Not everyone is so particular that they don't put anything in there. That's a you thing. That tray is designed for people to be able to put stuff there. Even if it's a piece of paper, when you go to retrieve it, your hand can bump a button. Don't take it so personally, even if you designed it. No one here is saying the tray sucks. Some of us just wish there was a way to turn off the button so we don't accidentally lower our tailgates and damage them. I have a software company and we make features we think are useful. Sometimes we place a button on the screen that is too close to another button that might counteract the first button's action if user bumps the new button by mistake, but we don't know it until the buttons are used in the real world. If they prove to be problematic we simply move them. We call that improving the interface. For what it's worth, it would be easy to update the truck's software with an option in settings to disable it. With all due respect, for you to simply blame button bumps on simple user error just because you don't use an area that was designed to be used, makes it that much harder for developers/designers to evaluate real world experience and make improvements. 

It's apparent that more than just one of us have bumped the tailgate button unintentionally. Maybe some of us have big hands, maybe a driver has a physical limitation or disability, or maybe the driver is in a hurry. We're not perfect. If you are perfect in your actions and movements, that's great for you, but there's nothing wrong with being either way. I'm just happy to have been able to make a workaround, and haven't missed the button since. I apologize if I offended you by sharing it. 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

• 1 month later...