Disconnect Center Stack Tailgate Button

MrLeadFoot

Centre stack switch sends a signal to the body controller.

Body controller ignores the signal if vehicle isn't in park. 

This can be verified while the vehicle is stationary.  It's checking gear position, not vehicle speed.

If it drops when driving, it's not because the centre stack button was pushed while going down the road. 

I'd also like to know the cause. 

Unlatched while stationary?

My tonneau is adjusted tight enough that the tailgate needs a little 'help' to drop after it has been unlatched -- so gate unlatched while stationary and truck jiggling while going down the road might achieve this. 

Fault with unlatch module or tailgate buttons?  

Maybe they can adjust the programming so that a longer button press is required.

Perhaps accompanied by a chirp and message on the screen or DIC that the unlatch was activated.

Edited by redwngr

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

Centre stack switch sends a signal to the body controller.

So, sounds like if the button were not connected, nothing else would be affected. How did you come by this information?  I ask, because maybe we can get a wiring diagram, and instead of having to dismantle all the stuff to get to the button to disconnect it, if we could trace a wire, perhaps we could simply snip the wire somewhere more easily accessible. We can then put spade connectors connectors on it so if we want to reconnect the wire, we can.

Or, maybe there is a wire at the body control module we can disconnect at the harness. I assume if the button sends a signal to the BCM, it has to be its own wire, which would not affect the other buttons or key fob.

3 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

So, sounds like if the button were not connected, nothing else would be affected. How did you come by this information?  I ask, because maybe we can get a wiring diagram, and instead of having to dismantle all the stuff to get to the button to disconnect it, if we could trace a wire, perhaps we could simply snip the wire somewhere more easily accessible. We can then put spade connectors connectors on it so if we want to reconnect the wire, we can.

Or, maybe there is a wire at the body control module we can disconnect at the harness. I assume if the button sends a signal to the BCM, it has to be its own wire, which would not affect the other buttons or key fob.

No from what has been said in the past. It's a circuit board with all of the center switches attached. It only has 1 set of wires plugged into it so if you unplug it all of the switches on the center stack will not work.

5 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

You can get a schematic diagram in the upfitter docs. 

(at https://www.gmupfitter.com/)

You can test the 'in gear' / 'not in gear' thing with the truck parked. 

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

You can test the 'in gear' / 'not in gear' thing with the truck parked. 

I'm confused. Why do you mention this? I don't want the button to work at all. Am I missing something here? 

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

You can get a schematic diagram in the upfitter docs. 

(at https://www.gmupfitter.com/)

Not sure if I downloaded the right one, but in looking at the schematics, they refer to the switch as "Vehicle Stability Control Switch". Why is that? Also, it looks like that control has its own ground. Would disconnecting that ground stop the switch from working? Please keep in mind that I don't know how to completely read schematics. 

4 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

I'm confused. Why do you mention this? I don't want the button to work at all. Am I missing something here? 

Many threads/posts have been thinking that it is getting pushed while travelling, causing tailgate to open. 

I'll stop now

Switch bank.  On these new interior trucks (2022.5+up) the switch "bank" is made up of 3 or 4 individual switch sets, depending on the options of the truck.  

The two below are using a VIN from a 2023 Denali 1500.  

tcandtailgate.jpg.3881e4dad00306b315745f7ff2c79e1e.jpg

Notice this section for example.  Hazards, tailgate and traction control switch.  This one is the "S86 Vehicle Stability Control Switch" in the GM connector end charts.  Unplugging this will result in a code for the traction control switch and quite possibly all sorts of service stability, traction disabled and various other lights and warnings.  

I guess my question is how the heck do people bump this switch at all?  Are they sticking a freaking laptop in their console?  I've never once bumped that button unwantedly in my truck.  Ever.  

astop.jpg.f716714fc7b04170d9534864ad98752d.jpg

5 hours ago, redwngr said:

Many threads/posts have been thinking that it is getting pushed while travelling, causing tailgate to open. 

I'll stop now

You don't need to stop. You've been helpful, so don't stop.

As you've proved, the tailgate button does not function when traveling. People must be bumping the button when they reach to shift or put something in the storage area prior to moving, but the angle at which the truck is parked puts enough pressure on the tailgate to prevent it from physically opening, even though the latch is released. Then, when they move, the tailgate opens. At least, that's my thought. Either way, that button is obviously a problem, and is an accident waiting to happen!

Edited by MrLeadFoot

58 minutes ago, newdude said:

I guess my question is how the heck do people bump this switch at all?  Are they sticking a freaking laptop in their console?  I've never once bumped that button unwantedly in my truck.  Ever.  

You shouldn't have said that, cause you just jinxed yourself. It's not a matter of "if" you bump it, it's a matter of "when" you bump it. Just hope you don't bump it when you're backed up against a concrete wall in a parking garage. The way that button works is a nightmare. It's simply too easily bumped. I've had mine bumped many times, and here are a few:

- While simply putting an eyeglass case in the storage area, the case glanced off the button and it oened the tailgate. Luckily I had to back out of the space, and the camera showed the ground. Took me a minute to realize what happened.

- While reaching to retrieve a piece of paper, I reached over the shifter and bumped the button. Obviously, the placement of the shifter increases the chances of the button being bumped, unlike in prior year models.

- While loading up for an outing on my boat, a passenger temporarily placed their water bottle part way into the drink holder, thinking they would seat it properly when we got in to go after loading. From the jostling of the vehicle while loading up, the bottle tipped over and bumped the button. Luckily, the tailgate clears my trailer winch stand.

- While running a cloth lightly over the center stack while cleaning the interior, the pressure of the wipe was just enough to trigger the sensitive tailgate button. (Interestingly, the iginition button was designed to be pushed with much more pressure/longer duration to work. In fact, I've found that sometimes I push it too quickly and the truck stays running. The tailgate button, on the other hand, is made way too sensitive, and if you can't turn it off, it should at least be programmed to 2 or even 3 presses.) It is so sensitive that, as I mentioned in an above post, nothing can be wedged between the button and the underlying trim that will keep the button from working. Even with something wedged in that tight space, you can easily still press the button just a hair because the trim below just flexes downward, which is enough to trigger that tailgate.

Those are only a few instances of the many times it's been bumped.

Now, if someone can help us figure out which wire from the button goes to the BCM to trigger the tailgate latch, we'd be in business.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

53 minutes ago, newdude said:

Switch bank.  On these new interior trucks (2022.5+up) the switch "bank" is made up of 3 or 4 individual switch sets, depending on the options of the truck.  

The two below are using a VIN from a 2023 Denali 1500.  

tcandtailgate.jpg.3881e4dad00306b315745f7ff2c79e1e.jpg

Notice this section for example.  Hazards, tailgate and traction control switch.  This one is the "S86 Vehicle Stability Control Switch" in the GM connector end charts.  Unplugging this will result in a code for the traction control switch and quite possibly all sorts of service stability, traction disabled and various other lights and warnings.  

Thanks for digging these up.

The button is on it's own circuit even though its wires run through the all-encompassing harness plug. Do you happen to have any resources that might help us find out which wire is the trigger wire that runs from the button to the BCM? I'm not afreaid to admit that I am just not well-versed enough with schematics to figure it out myself.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

1 hour ago, MrLeadFoot said:

Either way, that button is obviously a problem, and is an accident waiting to happen!

41 minutes ago, MrLeadFoot said:

You shouldn't have said that, cause you just jinxed yourself. It's not a matter of "if" you bump it, it's a matter of "when" you bump it. Just hope you don't bump it when you're backed up against a concrete wall in a parking garage. The way that button works is a nightmare. It's simply too easily bumped. I've had mine bumped many times, and here are a few:

- While simply putting an eyeglass case in the storage area, the case glanced off the button and it oened the tailgate. Luckily I had to back out of the space, and the camera showed the ground. Took me a minute to realize what happened.

- While reaching to retrieve a piece of paper, I reached over the shifter and bumped the button. Obviously, the placement of the shifter increases the chances of the button being bumped, unlike in prior year models.

- While loading up for an outing on my boat, a passenger temporarily placed their water bottle part way into the drink holder, thinking they would seat it properly when we got in to go after loading. From the jostling of the vehicle while loading up, the bottle tipped over and bumped the button. Luckily, the tailgate clears my trailer winch stand.

- While running a cloth lightly over the center stack while cleaning the interior, the pressure of the wipe was just enough to trigger the sensitive tailgate button. (Interestingly, the iginition button was designed to be pushed with much more pressure/longer duration to work. In fact, I've found that sometimes I push it too quickly and the truck stays running. The tailgate button, on the other hand, is made way too sensitive, and if you can't turn it off, it should at least be programmed to 2 or even 3 presses.) It is so sensitive that, as I mentioned in an above post, nothing can be wedged between the button and the underlying trim that will keep the button from working. Even with something wedged in that tight space, you can easily still press the button just a hair because the trim below just flexes downward, which is enough to trigger that tailgate.

Those are only a few instances of the many times it's been bumped.

Man, that all sounds like a you problem...

...anywho...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's what I thought at first, until I saw so many other people saying they are experiencing the same thing. That's why I said not to jinx yourself. Unless you can help me figure out which signal to interrupt, I have to try and be as diligent as you about NOT touching that button inadvertently. 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

Here is an idea you might be able to use.

In my last vehicle I had a tire pressure display unit for my trailer. It was stuck on a flat part of the dash.

There was no similar place on my 2023 Silverado. On my truck, the right most switch is a blank and the one next to it is an extra wide switch for powering all windows at once.  I cut a small piece of sheet metal and bent it into an L shape. I used sticky back Velcro and attached the metal to the dash above and below those switches.  Then I attached the display to the metal.

This completely blocks access to the blank switch and makes the other hard to reach.  You could do something similar that would block just the one switch. Yes it would be ugly.

1 hour ago, ExYukon said:

Here is an idea you might be able to use.

In my last vehicle I had a tire pressure display unit for my trailer. It was stuck on a flat part of the dash.

There was no similar place on my 2023 Silverado. On my truck, the right most switch is a blank and the one next to it is an extra wide switch for powering all windows at once.  I cut a small piece of sheet metal and bent it into an L shape. I used sticky back Velcro and attached the metal to the dash above and below those switches.  Then I attached the display to the metal.

This completely blocks access to the blank switch and makes the other hard to reach.  You could do something similar that would block just the one switch. Yes it would be ugly.

I'm not sure how you're using a single L-shaped piece and affixing it both above and below the switch. Can you post a pic? Your description does give me some ideas, though, so thank you. Like maybe I can stick an L-shaped piece of something below the switch so it would be sort of hidden. But, velcro won't work because it will give just enough to allow the button to move slightly and they really are hair-trigger buttons. 

In the meantime, my truck includes the ability to not only monitor my trailer tire pressures but also monitors the temperature of each wheel. The sensors came with the truck, too. Doesn't yours have that, too? If so, you don't need that extra tire pressure display anymore, so maybe you can send that piece of metal you made so I can modify it or use it as a prototype for making my own. 😊

Edited by MrLeadFoot