Timing Cover Seal

I've got a leak coming from the front of the engine;  and the mostly culprit is the timing cover seal.  It's starting to spew oil onto the vacuum pump belt and although it doesn't leave leaks in my garage or driveway, it bugs me.

Just what kind of ordeal is this to perform on your own???  I mean dealing with the "Jesus bolt" on the balancer, and then the tight quarters of getting the balancer off.

What say y'all??

Picture would be helpful, yes, you need a VERY stout air gun to get that crank bolt out and GOOD torque wrench to put on a new one (unles you use OE, then torque to yield). There's no gasket involved, just RTV, so be sure where it's coming from.  Frt Cover is not easy to get off, sometimes it's better to pay a Pro!

On 4/4/2024 at 12:11 PM, rlcole321 said:

Picture would be helpful, yes, you need a VERY stout air gun to get that crank bolt out and GOOD torque wrench to put on a new one (unles you use OE, then torque to yield). There's no gasket involved, just RTV, so be sure where it's coming from.  Frt Cover is not easy to get off, sometimes it's better to pay a Pro!

I think that you're misunderstanding my post.

I'm calling the "front crankshaft seal" the "timing cover seal"......................because that's what GM calls it.

Please forgive me for being specific.