:wtf: Double DIN Pioneer

Does anyone know if the entertainment area is truly Double-Din sized for the 2003 and upwards full-sized trucks? I mean, it looks double-din and is definitely larger than the '02 models. I have been thinking of installing a a Pioneer FH-P5000MP head unit in my full-sized Z71. I have had the XM Pioneer 910XM for several months which I would hook up to.

There is something about this receiver (depth???) that is spooking the install cross reference guides since it is rated to be incompatible with the full-sized Chevrolet/GM trucks.

Sure would like to know what the problem is. Discounts abound for this unit.

64157288FH-P5000MP.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know this post is really late. But i don't think there is a problem with the depth, almost all aftermarket radios are the same depth. I think the problem you are going to have is actually mounting the unit. Since there is no way to take the mounting brackets off of the stock stereo, you would have to fabricate something. After you get that taken care off, the unit will fit in just fine. Sorry again for such a late post, I just joined and happened to look in this section.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad i found this site and this post! I have a Chevy Trailblazer and im looking to upgrade the reciver and am looking at the exact same pioneer model..sounddomain has a nice deal on it.....im having trouble finding anything double din models that say they will fit with my model.

Have you found anymore resources on the topic or have you made yoru purchase yet and tried installing it?? Keep the post going if you find any new info. Thanks

Rob

I am having the same problem. I have a 2003 1500HD and am looking at the Kenwood DDX7015 double din unit. I have seen sites that display this installed in other 2003+ GM trucks, but I want to be sure before forking out that kind of money. Has anyone out there installed this unit? Crutchfield states it doesn't fit.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought that the GM opening was a 1.5 din, not a 2-din.

They went to a double-DIN in 2003, maybe some 2002 models also. I've also been interested in putting in an aftermarket double-DIN unit but am not convinced that there's any install kits that actually work. As mentioned previously, it probably involves fabricating something.

Archived