Engine & Wind & Road Noise

I have a question or 2 on noise, but you need to understand that I am pretty deaf, and wear some powerful hearing aids -- and while we are on the subject, I have never had such a big vehicle or such a large engine.  ANd one more thing, while I am great with tools, and electrical stuff, I never mess with my own vehicle, I pay a good (I think) mechanic to do that stuff.

So, here goes.  I have read for months about piston slap, rings, and other noises.

I think I hear either road noise or wind noise at the windshield or is the driver's door?  Because of my hearing it is hard to distinguish one from another, is it feel or is it really noise?  Is teh engine too loud at start up, or is it piston slap?  I have no idea, and also have no idea what piston slap actually sounds like.

So any pointers or tips on this descriptions, thoughts, ideas etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and mine is a 2002 Suburban LS, 5.3, 4WD I have not added anything, it has tow pkg, leather, and what ever else it came with.

Oh yeah, any ideas what I can place in the dash slot that Onstar would be in if I had an LT?  And does anyone sell a form, fit, function CD player where the cassette goes, we finally got rid of all the cassettes don't want to start a new collection now.

Thanks again.

Jaw

That's alot of ?'s jaw but here goes.

My crewcab has the same cab arear as your Sub and I have no noise from the road or wind.  The only thing I hear is the disturbed air from my bug deflector on the windshield molding...  I guess I'm no help there....

If it were piston slap it would be a "hard" Knock.  A very noticable metal to metal noise.  What most people here refer to as knock on start-up, is actually a prignition knock or "ping".  This is the kind of noise you would hear in a car running cheap fuel and lugging up a hill at 50 mph.

I've seen some inovative guys in here come up with some neat things to put in the OnStar hole...  radar dectors to CD changer modules.

As far as your radio, I'm assuming you have AM/FM/Cass and no CD.  GM has a head unit that goes in the dash that is AM/FM/CD.  Maybe someone here has one that the replaced with an aftermarket unit and they would sell it to you...

One last thing...  My old '00 Silverado 5.3L almost always engaged the clutch for the engine fan on cold starts which made the engine really "roar".

I hope I helped a litlle...

Shaners,  Thanks.   I am still not sure if I am hearing or feeling road noise that may seem like wind noise.  But I am taking it in for an early oil change next week, will ask the dealer to look it over then.

With respect to the engine noise, a loud metal to metal is not what I hear, I hear a louder (than I have had in the past -- due to engine size I think) growl or roar at start up, it is similar to the sound I hear when heavy accelerating to pass or just go faster.

I do have the head unit with cd player, it's the cassette player unit below the dash that I'd like to swap for another CD, that way the kids can listen to their Nstink and other crap on the headphones whilst we listen to music (our crap) on the main unit.

Hope that helps clear up things, and thanks again for your efforts and response.

If you want to take out the cassette deck, you can easily swap in GM's 6 disc CD changer, it'll plug right into the harness that went to the remote tape deck.  You may want to look up jason pendlum (JPendlum on the forum) he did that w/ his truck.  For that empty slot you can get a little tray from GM that goes in there, I don't have the part number for it.  

In regards to wind noise & road noise, you may want to add some soundproofing to the cabin.  I think I may do it in mine this summer to cut down and all the road noise.  If you think it's a wind noise inspect the weatherstripping on your doors.  On my passenger door the weatherstripping contracts in cold weather and doesn't make a tight seal so you get a very loud and very annoying whistling noise at any speed above 40 mph.

I have excessive wind noise as well in the cabin of my truck...I was thinking about reinforcing the weatherstripping to see if that makes any difference.

I also get some weird noises from my truck.  Besides the problem with the windshield wipers (they get stuck and you can hear the motor almost winding up) after it's been started you can hear a groaning/winding noise of some sort.  I haven't yet been able to figure out where it's coming from (engine or in dash?).  It comes and goes (lasts about 5 seconds...goes away...comes back etc...) Kinda hard to explain.  When we get the 83 Stepside out of the shop (being run under warranty right now getting fixed) this 97 is going in and getting work done as well (brakes, weird noises, 4WD etc etc)

i too have that wind noise. that sound is your 5.3L V-8 suckin in air. its even worse if you have a K@N air filter. there is nothing you can do about it from the outside, no clue if sound proofing will help it inside. i noticed it only lasts until the rpm's settle down. my vette did the same thing and my jobs fleet has a ford f-150, it does the same.

One of two distinct noises which I hear is the

engine fan. You can hear the fan when

you start the start the engine, and while

the engine is spooling up as you accelerate.

I assume that this is normal for this type

of clutch fan. The second is the antenna

for the wireless phone: It's mounted high

up on the passenger side windshield and

buzzes when you get above 55 mph. It's

a steel antenna whith five or so loops near

the mount. It sounds like a rock guitar playing

in the background. Can someone recommend

a replacement? Thanks.usaflag.gif

Archived