2005 Sierra Brake Pulsing

jh96gt?

Question

I need some help w/ this one. I've got an 05 crew cab 1500, and am having some brake issues. At 15,000 miles, my front rotors were warped (heavy brake pulse) and were replaced w/ new ones at the dealership. After that, there is no heavy pulsing, but there is a very fast light pulse that I could feel in the brake pedal when braking. I took it back (17,000), and they said it was the rear drums.

They replaced the rear drums, shoes, booster pump, and turned the new front rotors. The pads were not replaced (Serv. mgr said they were fine, hence not allowed to replace).

The problem is that the quick grinding type pulse is still there. Any thoughts on what it might be and suggestions on a course of action?

Thanks.

JH

:D

0 answers to this question

I am having a similiar issue with my 05 Silverado at 12,000 miles ... did the dealer replace the rotors under a warranty or did you have to fork out the $$?  Just curious because I started shopping for rotors today, but would wait until going to the dealer.

To further hijack this thread :D I am having some problems that just started with my brakes, rotors look fine, plenty of fluid, when I slow down, the ABS kicks on just slowing down for a stop sign (going 20mph) it has only done it about 3-4 times. The wife hasn't noticed it (bird through grille didn't faze her either yikes). I figure the master cylinder is going south or the proportional valve going hay wire thought maybe the fluid could use a change or a air bubble or something, didn't see any leaks. it's a 2000 Yukon (nbs) SLE with 5.3, 97,000+ miles.

Thanks

Aaron

To further hijack this thread :D I am having some problems that just started with my brakes, rotors look fine, plenty of fluid, when I slow down, the ABS kicks on just slowing down for a stop sign (going 20mph) it has only done it about 3-4 times. The wife hasn't noticed it (bird through grille didn't faze her either yikes). I figure the master cylinder is going south or the proportional valve going hay wire thought maybe the fluid could use a change or a air bubble or something, didn't see any leaks. it's a 2000 Yukon (nbs) SLE with 5.3, 97,000+ miles.

Thanks

Aaron

I recieved a recall notice 2 weeks ago from GM for my Sierra for the problem you described. Apparently the front wheel speed sensors corrode and cause the ABS to activate when not needed. GM replaced both sensors on my truck even though it didn't exhibit any problems.

I recieved a recall notice 2 weeks ago from GM for my Sierra for the problem you described. Apparently the front wheel speed sensors corrode and cause the ABS to activate when not needed. GM replaced both sensors on my truck even though it didn't exhibit any problems.

Cool, I'll check it out for sure. I don't like the ABS kicking on for a stop sign.

L8R

Aaron

Since the new problem started when the old problem was fixed when they replaced the front rotors, I'd look at the front rotors. Maybe they're not installed correctly. Maybe they're not seated properly on the wheel, and maybe they rock back and forth over some interference as the wheel goes around, during braking. If this were happening, it would roughly double the frequency of the vibration relative to the standard "warped rotor" feel...

Or maybe they're the wrong rotors for the truck.

Hard to do anything but guess without driving it. Trying driving and while holding the park brake release out, lightly apply the parking brake. If it's the drums, you should feel it. If it's smooth, it's probably the fronts. But if they resurfaced the rotors and it didn't change... well, dunno what to tell you.

I need some help w/ this one.  I've got an 05 crew cab 1500, and am having some brake issues.  At 15,000 miles, my front rotors were warped (heavy brake pulse) and were replaced w/ new ones at the dealership.  After that, there is no heavy pulsing, but there is a very fast light pulse that I could feel in the brake pedal when braking.  I took it back (17,000), and they said it was the rear drums.

They replaced the rear drums, shoes, booster pump, and turned the new front rotors.  The pads were not replaced (Serv. mgr said they were fine, hence not allowed to replace). 

The problem is that the quick grinding type pulse is still there.  Any thoughts on what it might be and suggestions on a course of action? 

Thanks. 

JH

:D

I am having a similiar issue with my 05 Silverado at 12,000 miles ... did the dealer replace the rotors under a warranty or did you have to fork out the $$? Just curious because I started shopping for rotors today, but would wait until going to the dealer.

Archived