I knew it was coming, I tried not to think about it, but the inevitable is official. Toyota will be racing in Winston excuse me *Nextel (something else I wasnt very fond of) Cup in 2007. I dont know how many of you are Nascar fans, but NASCAR is and AMERICAN sport and there is no room in nascar for toyota, I dont care how you look at it. I must admit though, Im glad to see the ford boys, especially greg biffle (who I cannot stand) are making it known that they are not happy about it.

Nascar.com

I knew it was coming, I tried not to think about it, but the inevitable is official. Toyota will be racing in Winston excuse me *Nextel (something else I wasnt very fond of) Cup in 2007. I dont know how many of you are Nascar fans, but NASCAR is and AMERICAN sport  and there is no room in nascar for toyota, I dont care how you look at it. I must admit though, Im glad to see the ford boys, especially greg biffle (who I cannot stand) are making it known that they are not happy about it.

Nascar.com

As far as Ford and Toyota I was glad to see this article: My Goal is to fight Toyota I hope it isn't words only after the cuts Ford announced today. It's time the domestic auto industry tells it like it is.... maybe somebody, just somebody will listen.

I may be wrong; I hope I'm not, but the Nascar crowd is probably one of the last strongholds for Detroit. Sure I know there are many new additions to this sport, but the tradional Nascar fan is extremely brand loyal. I grew up in a Ford house and even though this is my third GM truck (all of which have been great) it still is hard for me not to pull for Fords on race day (I know admitting you have a problem is the first step :D ) I expect Toyota will throw cash at some of the big names ($$$ seems to be no problem for Toyota.) Who'll be the first to jump? I half way expect Michael Waltrip since brother DW is the Toyota Truck spokesperson. Don't mean to be ridicilous, but in all honesty could you imagine a "3" on the side of a Camry? Truly indeed a sad day. :D

Look on the bright side..... maybe Jeff Gordon will sign with Toyota. Give me another reason to dislike him. :D

vroten :confused:

And you're surprised by this? They've been doing Trucks for a couple of years, even DW owns a team. This is a move expected by everyone. Toyota's are built in the US, so they are good to go. BTW, what about Dodge? Not an American car company anymore. GM's relationship with Saab and Isuzu. Ford owns Jaguar and Aston Martin. BMW owns RR. The Industry has gone global.

Now, I've been a Cup Fan for about 30 years, I've been watching change all that time, lots of changes in the last five years. Most of the recent changes I'm not thrilled about. I'd rather Toyota wasn't in the series, and Pontiac was back, but what the heck, let's see what happens.

Lou

Since brian france took over (who by the way in my opinion is a complete idiot) nascar has been headin in the wrong direction. Too mainstream and corporate and straying from what nascar was all bout from the beginning. RACING. Not this extra nonsense. When I get outta engineering school I plan to get a job in a nascar shop, but it would be a cold day in hell before I turned a wrench for toyota (I used to say that about Ford but we gotta stick together now to ward off the foreign cars.) And let me save someone the trouble, YES I know toyota makes a bunch of stuff in the US, that is not the point.

I'm not a big NASCAR fan. I root for Harvick because I went to school with him. But whats wrong with competition. I'm not saying that because I think its a good idea, because I really don't know. But whats wrong with that. I know its an American past time, but we have several international racers in NASCAR, and we international players and teams in Basketball, Baseball, Football, and that sport where they play Pong on Ice.

What bad or good things will come from this. I ask because I don't know, not because I'm trying to argue Toyota's arrival.

You have to be a pretty big nascar fan to understand, your addin apples and oranges.

Yeah, but if you aren't a pretty big NASCAR fan and look at it from the outside, the things being said about somebody else wanting to compete smack of racism (if you'll pardon the pun), and seem to be based on nothing other than what country they're from.

That's called being a bigot, and it's NOT what the United States is supposed to be about.

But maybe that's just me.

And you're surprised by this?  They've been doing Trucks for a couple of years, even DW owns a team.  This is a move expected by everyone.  Toyota's are built in the US, so they are good to go.  BTW, what about Dodge?  Not an American car company anymore.  GM's relationship with Saab and Isuzu.  Ford owns Jaguar and Aston Martin.  BMW owns RR.  The Industry has gone global. 

Now, I've been a Cup Fan for about 30 years, I've been watching change all that time, lots of changes in the last five years.  Most of the recent changes I'm not thrilled about.  I'd rather Toyota wasn't in the series, and Pontiac was back, but what the heck, let's see what happens.

Lou

Keep the Jap Crap out of Nascar. They already invited themselves into CORR racing, an offroad series. They're going to have to upgrade all the tracks with Rice Pumps for fuel :confused:

So now you see why NASCAR put a limit on the number of teams a owner can run at 4 to make room for Toyotas next the Hondas & nissians.

Smaller teams like the Woods Brothers will have a hard time making the cut at the races, they will loose the good sponsors with deep pockets. The day of the Allan Kulwicki and Ricky Rudd as independent 1 car teams are over. It's never gona be a run what you bring anymore.

History repeats it self, Look back at IMSA 20 years ago, The Totota & Nissian teams were heavely factory sponsored and pumped in HUGE amounts of money into R&D. It ran the small time independent racers out. Nissian With Jeff Brabham driving a prototype 300ZX won 4 or 5 Champions in a row. other American Iron sponsored teams pulled out not able to compete without the deep pockets of Detroit. Ford & GM pulled money from IMSA and put into Nascar.

You Can run but can't hide. We as Americans need to draw the line and decide whats in the best interest for our own people. Yesterday Jan 23, 2006 Ford announced lafoffs of 30,000 employes.

Nascar no longer a American Icon. Iron Head is rolling in his grave

Whats the big deal? Competition is a good thing. We all drive better cars due to global competition.

Are you scared Toyota will kick Chevy's ass on the race track just like they did in the market place since the 80's?

Calm down, drink a Budweiser and cheer everytime a Camry hits the wall.

Keep the Jap Crap out of Nascar. They already invited themselves into CORR racing, an offroad series. They're going to have to upgrade all the tracks with Rice Pumps for fuel :D

Amen to that, let the jap crap run there little fast n furious races and leave Nascar to the american muscle. It's not racism, but you can call it whatever you want. I call it being AMERICAN. :confused: One thing is for sure, any driver that goes to toyota, whether or not I was a fan or not in the past, I will lost all respect for.

And like some of you guys said about nextel, amen to that too. Nascar has been going down hill since their takeover.

Archived