:cheers:

I did a "search" here using the search word: dex-cool, and was startled

by the fact that the search only returned 9 hits (?)...

Everybody here must live charmed lives or are driving real new rigs.

Our local radiator shop Owner loves dex-cool, it allowed him to hire more help,

enlarge the shop, and it put a brand new set of large hooters on his wife. She

looks real good driving that new Caddy... :P

My son bought about $1800 worth of "improvements" to the Radiator Shop,

all by himself. The previous owner of his truck had allowed air to get into the

old dex-cool and the resulting disaster is history. Son wound up with the

good, old green stuff in his new cooling sysem..no more problems...

I did a "search" here using the search word: dex-cool, and was startled

by the fact that the search only returned 9 hits (?)...

Everybody here must live charmed lives or are driving real new rigs.

Our local radiator shop Owner loves dex-cool, it allowed him to hire more help,

enlarge the shop, and it put a brand new set of large hooters on his wife. She

looks real good driving that new Caddy... :P

My son bought about $1800 worth of "improvements" to the Radiator Shop,

all by himself. The previous owner of his truck had allowed air to get into the

old dex-cool and the resulting disaster is history. Son wound up with the

good, old green stuff in his new cooling sysem..no more problems...

Why is it that someone always trolls and tries to start the old tired dex vs green crap...

I have had zero issues with dex, of course I do proper maintenance while those with issues just ignore maintenance and blame dex instead of themselves.

"Why is it that someone always trolls and tries to start the old tired dex vs green crap...

I have had zero issues with dex, of course I do proper maintenance while those with issues just ignore maintenance and blame dex instead of themselves."

No trolling here. Just ignorance. This was a used rig, purchased by a 19-year

old kid (my son) who knew nothing of dex-cool's amazing-brown-gel tricks.

The truck was bought with an empty radiator surge tank and he had no idea

what expenses that would mean. In so far as I know, the "green stuff" does

not gel. There are alot of post-'95 GM rigs on the used market and the old air-in-the-dex is really something to watch for. Our family will not get bit again.

The green stuff IS going into our Motorcoach.

BTW..the nine hits I saw here were ALL honest questions, no stirring of the ol' pot.

"Why is it that someone always trolls and tries to start the old tired dex vs green crap...

I have had zero issues with dex, of course I do proper maintenance while those with issues just ignore maintenance and blame dex instead of themselves."

No trolling here. Just ignorance. This was a used rig,  purchased by a 19-year

old kid (my son) who knew nothing of dex-cool's amazing-brown-gel tricks.

The truck was bought with an empty radiator surge tank and he had no idea

what expenses that would mean. In so far as I know, the "green stuff" does

not gel. There are alot of post-'95 GM rigs on the used market and the old air-in-the-dex is really something to watch for. Our family will not get bit again.

The green stuff IS going into our Motorcoach.

BTW..the nine hits I saw here were ALL honest questions, no stirring of the ol' pot.

Well if you have already decided to go with the green stuff then what was the purpose of your post? :P

Dex cool was designed and has a purpose. It tranfers heat better, is better on your water pump seals and will last longer. However, the truck cannot be run low on AF consistently and it needs to be flushed and replaced as with any fluid. When you do flush and replace it, make sure you do a real thorough job. I drained mine, filled with water and a mild flush, drove it for 10 to 15 minutes and then repeated the process less the flush 3 more times. I made sure it was clean and then refilled with, you guessed it, DexCool. IMO, if the truck came from the factory with DexCool, that is what needs to go back.

PS I also use and believe in a product from LubeGard, called Kool It. It is great for heat transfer but will also cut almost 100% of the electrolisis from the sytem. Modine Radiator endorses and recommends it

"Well if you have already decided to go with the green stuff then what was the purpose of your post?"

Mr. Smith--

I am rather proud of the fact that I seem to have become a burr under your saddle. :seeya:

After being called a "troll" by you, I just had to go back into the Archives, and look

at your previous posts here. I found that you have been "kind" to others as well.

But back on topic: Dex-cool and "the Green Stuff" are made from the same

base, it is the additive package that is different...the Dex-cool's additives are

what allows it to be an extended-life coolant. Dex-cool's additives are also what

causes it to "mutate" into an acidic brown gel, with the addition of air--"entrainment" is what they call it. On a used rig, with no knowlege of it's previous

care, why take a chance?? I do not mind doing the "extra" maintenence required, which is to drain, flush, and re-fill every 24,000 miles. My Motorcoaches' cooling

system HAS been protected by Dex-cool for 50K miles. It is sound now. I'd like to

keep it that way. The peace of mind, by using the Green, is worth it.

I guess you could say that the purpose of my original post was a warning to those

here who have saved and saved to afford a used Silverado ('96-up), or any GM

product that features Dex-cool. My son got off easy, at $1800 worth of repairs,

I think. :cheers:

"Well if you have already decided to go with the green stuff then what was the purpose of your post?"

Mr. Smith--

I am rather proud of the fact that I seem to have become a burr under your saddle. :seeya:

After being called a "troll" by you, I just had to go back into the Archives, and look

at your previous posts here. I found that you have been "kind" to others as well.

But back on topic: Dex-cool and "the Green Stuff" are made from the same

base, it is the additive package that is different...the Dex-cool's additives are

what allows it to be an extended-life coolant. Dex-cool's additives are also what

causes it to "mutate" into an acidic brown gel, with the addition of air--"entrainment" is what they call it. On a used rig, with no knowlege of it's previous

care, why take a chance?? I do not mind doing the "extra" maintenence required, which is to drain, flush, and re-fill every 24,000 miles. My Motorcoaches' cooling

system HAS been protected by Dex-cool for 50K miles. It is sound now. I'd like to

keep it that way. The peace of mind, by using the Green, is worth it.

I guess you could say that the purpose of my original post was a warning to those

here who have saved and saved to afford a used Silverado ('96-up), or any GM

product that features Dex-cool. My son got off easy, at $1800 worth of repairs,

I think. :fume:

Yea you go boy...Kind, not hardly... :cheers: I stand by what I said. Try spell check on your posts, obvious misspellings make you look very silly.

I bought used 97. I inspected it before I bought it. I don't buy the crap you are shoveling because if your kid was halfway smart he would have taken it to a mechanic prior to purchase. I think posting how stupid one can be is just great. There are many examples like this on the net. Instead of blaming oneself, they blame the fluid in the radiator. :puke:

Have a real nice day.

"Yea you go boy...Kind, not hardly... :cheers: I stand by what I said. Try spell check on your posts, obvious misspellings make you look very silly.

I bought used 97. I inspected it before I bought it. I don't buy the crap you are shoveling because if your kid was halfway smart he would have taken it to a mechanic prior to purchase. I think posting how stupid one can be is just great. There are many examples like this on the net. Instead of blaming oneself, they blame the fluid in the radiator."

Dear kind friend Mr. Smith-- :fume:

Let's see: So far you have called me a troll, you have called me "boy", you have

said I kant spel, and you have called my son "stupid"....what other great pearls of

wisdom can you show all of us??

What does any of this have to do with the fact that when one combines ordinary

air with Dex-cool it turns into a brown gel that will destroy a cooling system??? :seeya:

"Yea you go boy...Kind, not hardly...  :fume: I stand by what I said. Try spell check on your posts, obvious misspellings make you look very silly.

I bought used 97. I inspected it before I bought it. I don't buy the crap you are shoveling because if your kid was halfway smart he would have taken it to a mechanic prior to purchase. I think posting how stupid one can be is just great. There are many examples like this on the net. Instead of blaming oneself, they blame the fluid in the radiator."

Dear kind friend Mr. Smith-- :puke:

Let's see: So far you have called me a troll, you have called me "boy", you have

said I kant spel, and you have called my son "stupid"....what other great pearls of

wisdom can you show all of us??

What does any of this have to do with the fact that when one combines ordinary

air with Dex-cool it turns into a brown gel that will destroy a cooling system??? :seeya:

First off... I don't know you and to call me friend is pushing it.

Well I call em as I see em so whats the problem? :cheers: You did start this totally useless thread. You are out looking to start trouble. I correctly pointed of that the lack of proper inspection of your problem truck was your kids fault. Hell it could have been you who cares at this point yet you drone on about the evils of dex.

Piss poor maintenance, lack of proper inspection prior to purchase and general blame everything on Dex. Next you will blame so called "global warming" on Dex cool.

You get all upset what I just put out in clear view the crap you spew, sorry bud but not MY problem. As I stated before...Lack of proper maintenance it will cause trouble, period. What part of that do you not understand?????

What I have for you is this...Find a decent mechanic that you can trust to do your maintenance. Don't you worry about my "pearls of wisdom" I wouldn't waste them on you as it is way beyond your knowledge level.

Have a great day.

Archived