Lifter noise?

My 2002 Siverado with 5.33 liter engine has 48.000 miles, but lately, on start up, it will make a tapping sound that goes away after a few seconds. It sounds like lifters to me, can anything be added to the oil to quiet it?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, this subject comes up a lot. I am in the auto parts business and have been for 25 + years. I would recommend Rislone. Change your oil, leave out one qt of oil and add one qt of Rislone. It is a 10W 30 oil based product and has been around for years. It in not a "mechanic in a can" but if you have a weak lifter or one that is being affectecd by gum and varnish, it will likely cure your problem. You can leave it in there until your next change or change early if you would like. It will not hurt a thing. I have sold hundreds of bottles and it usually works.

Will you have to use it again? Maybe but maybe not. If it does work, I would question your motor oil or frequency of service because if the oil is doing it's job and you service it well, there should be no gum or varnish build up.

We have always told customers: "If it does not fix your lifter problem, you can get out your wrenches".

Remember, there are thousands of chemicals produced for cars, many are made to sell, only few are made to use. IMO, Rislone is one of the good ones.

My brother just bought a new clk430 Mercedes Benz. 75000 dollars. It has amazing clicking noise for a solid 30 seconds and the dealer calls it normal. His is definitely piston slap.

I lean towards judging an engine at operating temperature and accept reasonable mechanical noises for the first few seconds until design parameters of the engine are reached i.e. temperature and oil pressure. Proper clearances are with a hot engine, not ice cold. Mine has a slight click for maybe 3 seconds, then wonderful silence. A lifter leaking down overnight is not cause for alarm as long as it settles down quickly.

My genuine recomendation is light noises that go away almost instantly are unimportant and not worth wrenching around with. Turn the stereo up louder.

Ken

Document ID# 1206539

2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Engine Knock or Lifter Noise (Replace O-Ring) #02-06-01-038 - (12/02/2002)

Models: 2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

2001-2003 Chevrolet Corvette

2001-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2001-2003 GMC Sierra

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, Z, G, S, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine tick noise. The distinguishing characteristic of this condition is that it likely will have been present since new, and is typically noticed within the first 161-322 km (100-200 mi). The noise may often be diagnosed as a collapsed lifter. Additionally, the noise may be present at cold start and appear to diminish and then return as the engine warms to operating temperature. This noise is different from other noises that may begin to occur at 3219-4828 km (2000-3000 mi).

Cause

The O-ring seal between the oil pump screen and the oil pump may be cut, causing aeration of the oil.

Correction

Inspect the O-ring seal and replace as necessary. Use the applicable part number listed below. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts

Part Number Description Qty

12563963 Seal-O/Pmp (O-ring) 1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think this noise comes back after it has been running as the service bulletin suggests. It seems to be present (and not even always) at start up and up to about 3 seconds later only. I have had the truck for a few years, since about 24,000 miles and have changed oil and filter every 3,000 miles, sometimes stretching to 4,000 or 4,500 mile intervals. I will try the Rislone at my next oil change.

Thanks again,

Rich

Archived