GMC Sierra TV Spot insult to Canada!

Darnice

I would like to thank GM Canada for insulting all Canadians.

Your new GMC Sierra tv add is an insult to Canada.

How you ask, well watch it and you will see.

It starts off deep inside the electronics of the Nav system and zooms back to show the Nav Screen and how clear it is. It clearly shows the truck traveling on the TRANS CANADA HIGHWAY!!!!

It then zooms back and shows a back roads road with bolders and rocks!

So GM Canada considers our premier road to be a off road trail!

Thanks for the insult!

It starts off deep inside the electronics of the Nav system and zooms back to show the Nav Screen and how clear it is. It clearly shows the truck traveling on the TRANS CANADA HIGHWAY!!!!

Thanks for the insult!

If one is to believe commercials, then Toyota markets their trucks exclusively to people that drive on 500 foot long elevated seesaws with 10,000 pounds of cinderblocks on a trailer. It's called advertising, it's bizarre, and most people get that.

FYI, we're not affiliated in any way with General Motors, Chevrolet, or GMC. This is an enthusiasts site :cheers:

Maybe it was a road worker, traveling next to the highway, not on it.

He was on his lunch break and decided he'd beat the company truck a bit.

Or, maybe the driver was the designer of the highway, and was remembering back to the daze before the highway was ever there ?!

Or, maybe the advertizing firm doesn't know squat about nav systems or Canadian roads?

Or, while on the way to the advertizers studio, to make a commercial, two employees ran into each other, smashing two different ideas into one, resulting in a mix-match of clips, which were never really meant to be seen together?

Or, maybe I was at work too long tonight and need to get some sleep, before I turn this post into more than it really is.

Then again, it could be just like any other commercial out there, it only means what you make of it.

Thanks for the insult!

I had to re-read your description before I finally *got it.*

Your point is that the nav unit represented the road as the Trans Canada Highway, and then the marketing wizards decided it would be funny to show the actual road as all boulders and rocks. Apparently they want the stupid people watching to assume that the Trans Canada Highway is all boulders and rocks, and that the Nav Unit can take them there? WTF?

Yeah, it's a mild insult, but their message is so incompetently framed that the real message is that GM marketing people are on drugs. I wouldn't worry about it.

As a Canadian, I'm not insulted (although I haven't seen the commercial).

It does say though that some people who have never been to Canada have an impression that does not reflect reality. ;)

Yeah, it's a mild insult, but their message is so incompetently framed that the real message is that GM marketing people are on drugs. I wouldn't worry about it.

I was watching a news spot on Fox News about the Super Bowl ads. The marketing panels that watched the GM commercials felt uneasy and missed the point with the ads. The researcher said the ad about the robot trying to commit suicide to show the commitment to quality had the most negative impact. They said most of the people didn't get the ad and it made them feel depressed. GM spent millions on ads and missed the boat big time and it sounds like they're doing it again in Canada. Toyota on the other hand, slighted as they maybe, at least is describing what their vehicle is about or can do. What is the "American revolution" supposed to be about again?

• 2 months later...

I live in Saskatchewan and as a Canadian with only experience on the trans Canada highways in Sask and Man,I find the trans Canada highway to be a insult to Canadians,This is supposed to be the best road we have and is supposed to connect all of Canada and it is a piece of crap!period,all you need to do is go jump on an interstate of our friends to the south and see what a major road should be,The Trans Canada is a joke in SASK and MAN period,I just can't believe we still have to stop for railroad crossings on our major highway!! they should have underpasses under them!!No wonder people are killed on this piece of crap road everyday

Thanks for the insult!

Please get a life, quick. I know you are not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway--less issues than Canada.

I live in Saskatchewan and as a Canadian with only experience on the trans Canada highways in Sask and Man,I find the trans Canada highway to be a insult to Canadians,This is supposed to be the best road we have and is supposed to connect all of Canada and it is a piece of crap!period,all you need to do is go jump on an interstate of our friends to the south and see what a major road should be,The Trans Canada is a joke in SASK and MAN period,I just can't believe we still have to stop for railroad crossings on our major highway!! they should have underpasses under them!!No wonder people are killed on this piece of crap road everyday

I'll second that one man...I drove from Halifax to Victoria last year and theres about 7-800 miles of good highway, total. the other like 6500K is shyte. Than you get out here in Victoria and the TCH has an 80-90km speed limit, and Goddamn traffic lights on the highway at intersections rather than off ramps and underpasses. Some big engineer type has to get they're head out their ass and start redesigning some stuff. Cant have underpasses due to earthquakes MY ASS...

Archived