Plugs And Wires

AFD256

I tried looking all around but to no success to find this topic so.........

I have a 2001 4.8 with 124,000+ miles. I think it time to change the plugs and wire. Is there any beneifit to go with a bigger wire 8-8.5? And as far as plug which are the best? platinum tipped, iridatium? I have no knowledge of the plugs and wires pro and cons any help would be appricated

Thanks in advance

Hey wait is this the right blog space?

In case you have not received any advice in another thread, I would go back with NGK Plats as this was the OE plug in your truck. A good quality set of std wires will do just great, just do not buy any economy wires. Our CARQUEST wires are supplied by Prestolite and so fare we have been very happy with the qualityand fit.

You will see in my sig that I used Taylor 8.2s. I did this primarily becase I wanted Red wires. I would suggest if you do go with HP wires, look closely at Taylors.

Fatter really means nothing on a street vehicle as far as I know. The only advantage, if there is any, is less resistance per foot. Some claim very low resistance while others have higher resistance. Granatelli's (spelling?) for example claim 0.

Bosch does make some very good products but their plugs and wires seem to be at the bottom of the list, at least from what you read on forums like this. I am not sure I ever have read a positive post concerning Bosch Wires or plugs.

• 1 year later...

I put NGK platnuims in and lost 1.3 MPG from my old plugs with 105K on them....replaced them with good 'ol AC delco's and got that 1.3 back plus another .8 so im a firm believer in OEM parts....now i know some have had good results with NGK but personnaly i have lost performace with every set i have tried except in a maxima i had. As far as wires, unless you have a HOT ignition, it is purely looks....i ma sure there is a performance difference but you arent going to see it with a stock or slightly modded engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived