Tire Pressure Monitor System Relearn

Just rotated my tires for the first time on my 07 NBS Sierra and I'm having problems relearning the tire pressure monitor system. What is everyone's experience with the system and are there any special tricks? I am following the owners manual description but my front left tire does not want to re-learn. Ocassionally I can get that particular tire to re-learn but then one of the other tires will fail. I am following the specified clockwise direction around the truck and letting tire pressure out until the horn chirps. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone installed the remote vehicle starter from gmaccesorieszone.com on their 07? Remote start for $200 seems reasonable and im assuming very little modifications would be required to the factory harness. Any experiences?

Just rotated my tires for the first time on my 07 NBS Sierra and I'm having problems relearning the tire pressure monitor system. What is everyone's experience with the system and are there any special tricks? I am following the owners manual description but my front left tire does not want to re-learn. Ocassionally I can get that particular tire to re-learn but then one of the other tires will fail. I am following the specified clockwise direction around the truck and letting tire pressure out until the horn chirps. Any suggestions?

Obviously, if you have gotten this far, you know how to begin the relearn procedure from the DIC. I'm going to make a suggestion. Over-inflate your tires to 44 lbs. before beginning the procedure. Seems the tires perk up with high inflation pressures. Then letting air OUT of the tire, go LF (horn), RF (horn), RR (horn), LR (horn) in that order. Seems it takes 5 seconds to enable each tire with air being let out of the tire. The horn sounds sometimes 45 seconds later. You have five minutes to complete the procedure or turn the ignition off. Just when you abandon the procedure while waiting for a horn, it really isn't being abandoned in the BCM. If you don't get a continuation horn after 5 minutes, start over. After I did my tires manually, I bought an OTC TPMS 3833 tool which activates the sensor immediately without any air being exchanged.

zoz

Obviously, if you have gotten this far, you know how to begin the relearn procedure from the DIC. I'm going to make a suggestion. Over-inflate your tires to 44 lbs. before beginning the procedure. Seems the tires perk up with high inflation pressures. Then letting air OUT of the tire, go LF (horn), RF (horn), RR (horn), LR (horn) in that order. Seems it takes 5 seconds to enable each tire with air being let out of the tire. The horn sounds sometimes 45 seconds later. You have five minutes to complete the procedure or turn the ignition off. Just when you abandon the procedure while waiting for a horn, it really isn't being abandoned in the BCM. If you don't get a continuation horn after 5 minutes, start over. After I did my tires manually, I bought an OTC TPMS 3833 tool which activates the sensor immediately without any air being exchanged.

zoz

Does the 3833 tool find new sensors? I am putting new wheels on my truck in a couple days and I bought new tpms for them. The guy behind the counter at the dealer didnt know and told me to call the service dept to let them do it.I`d rather do it myself if this thing works and is cost effective.

Also, has anyone installed the remote vehicle starter from gmaccesorieszone.com on their 07? Remote start for $200 seems reasonable and im assuming very little modifications would be required to the factory harness. Any experiences?

It was painful for me, I tried and tried, but never got them to sync up. I finally gave up after about 45 minutes or so of trying. I took it to the dealer and had them reset it.

I'd be intrested in one of those tools, but the seem to be very expensive.

• 1 month later...

Any more luck with this? I added air to my tires today and it showed Tire Pressure Relearn press the check mark, so I did. I shouldn't have because now I have a service Tire System message! I Tried the relearn process several time, to the point I was down to 24 lbs of pressure in the tires and the left rear never would register. I hate to have to go to the dealer for such a stupid issue, but I have a light on the dash now and a message every time I turn on the truck! BTW, I started out with 42 lbs in each tire!

So, how much is this tool and where can you get it! It will be worth it if I don't have to go through this hassle every time I need to add air to my tires!

I'm going to try again tomorrow when I can get the truck into the garage and not have the sun beating against one side of it. Believe it or not, this affects the pressure by 1-2 lbs! Hopefully I'll get it to work because I really don't want to go to the dealer just for something I should be able to fix myself!

I do want to find out a bit more about this OTC TPMS 3833 tool, where to get it and how much it costs. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile investment if it's not too outraguosly priced because it sounds like it could really simplify this process!

I found this on the H3 Forum, Im going to give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. Looks to be the same as in the owner's manual, but I may try the light switch thing too if I can't get it working.

try this procedure by inflating tires to 40 psi and then do the manual reset precedure by airing down your tires. this procedure works better than using the gm tpm tool.

Tire Pressure Sensor Learn

Tools

J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool.

Learn Mode Description

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system uses the body control module (BCM), exterior lamp switch, 4 RF transmitting pressure sensors and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after every tire rotation, BCM replacement, or sensor replacement. Once the TPM learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensor's unique identification (Id) codes can be learned in to the BCM's memory. When a sensor's Id has been learned, the BCM sounds a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it Id and the BCM has received and learned it. The BCM must learn the sensor Ids in the proper order to determine correct sensor location. The first learned Id is assigned to the left front, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear.

Important: The vehicles spare tire is equipped with a tire pressure sensor; however, the system does not monitor the spare tire pressure. Since the BCM is only capable of learning a total of 4 sensor Ids, any time the spare tire is installed in a rolling location on the vehicle, the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR and CHECK TIRE PRESSURE messages will be displayed on the DIC until the spare tire sensor ID is learned into the BCM’s memory. Spare tire sensor ID is learned after driving the vehicle for more than 10 Minutes.

Sensor Functions using pressure increase/decrease method

Each sensor takes a pressure measurement sample once every 30 seconds while in stationary mode. If the tire pressure increases, or decreases by more than 1.6 psi from the last pressure measurement, another measurement will occur immediately to verify the change in pressure. If a pressure change has indeed occurred, the sensor transmits in re-measure mode. When the BCM receives a re-measure mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's Id to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Sensor functions using J-46079

Each sensor has an internal low frequency (LF) coil. When the J-46079 TPM tool is used in activate mode it produces an LF transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to a LF activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the BCM receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's Id to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Learn Mode Cancellation

The learn mode will cancel if more than 2 minutes have passed and no sensor have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes has passed for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is canceled before any Ids are learned, the BCM will remember all previously stored Ids and their locations. As soon as the BCM learns the first Id, all other Ids are erased from the BCM's memory.

Important: Before proceeding with the step below, ensure that no other sensor learn procedure is being performed simultaneously, or that tire pressures are not being adjusted on another TPM equipped vehicle within close proximity.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Apply the parking brake.

Important: If the TPM learn mode cannot be enabled, ensure the TPM system is enabled in the BCM. Refer to Tire Pressure Monitor System Configuration .

Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A horn chirp will sound and the low tire pressure indicator will begin to flash indicating the learn mode has been enabled.

Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors, turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode and repeat the procedure from step 1.

Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the TPM tool against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location then press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp, or increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.

After the horn chirp has sounded, proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:

Right front

Right rear

Left rear

After the LR sensor has been learned, turn OFF the ignition to exit the learn mode.

After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended psi. Refer to Label - Vehicle Certification, Tire Place Card, Anti-Theft and Service Parts ID in General Information.

Yep, looks like it's a trip to the dealer! I tried again this morning after the truck sat inside all night, and it still won't re-learn the last (Driver's Rear) tire! All the others work fine, let out about a pound of air and the horn honks, the last one I have let out 10 lbs (as I did yesterday) and still nothing happens!

This is definately the stupidest TPMS I've ever ran across! Granted, GM didn't totally cheap out on this one, my Nissan would alert if a tire was low, but it didn't identify which tire and didn't display the pressure. But, I didn't have to hop on one leg and swing a dead rat over my head every time I added air or rotated the tires either! My 03 Ford Exploder monitored all 5 tires (yep, even the spare), reported the pressure in each and would ID which one was low. It required no additional set-up or maintenance either! Nor does my wife's Acura! Fill and go, and it displays the pressure in each tire as well.

I really think GM needs to rethink this system and come up with something that doesn't require jumping through hoops or a trip to the dealer every time you add air to your tires! I can see frustrated customers and service techs with this one!

I had the same issue with the re-learn , after many attempts finally took her back to the dearler for re-learn ..

covered under warrenty ..

Yup, same problem with mine... Tokk it back to the dealer to reset them, they said they are having a ton of these come in for resetting so hopefully GM will come out with a fix.

Archived