Help, About To Buy A New Truck!

BK2008

Hello to everyone,

Another newbie here. :lol: I am about to purchase a truck in the next couple of weeks and was looking for some help. I found a 2008 GMC Sierra (Silver Birch SLT 6.0 w/ebony leather, power seats, 2WD, and 20" wheels). The sticker had 37,489 and they were going to sell it for 30,000 + TTL. My question is.....

1) Is that a good price for that truck w/ those options? :fume:

2) How are everyone liking the 08's? (ride,interior noise,power w/6.0L, & MPG)

3) Should I wait to find a 4WD? (I don't pull anything EVER, but will put 5K miles a month on it)

4) Are there alot of mods for improving MPG and/or performance?

I know you guys probably get people asking these questions all the time :thumbs: , but just look at like a chance to brag or rant about your new purchase!! Well thanks for any help and will post PICS the day I buy it!! :lol:

I live in Houston, TX, have not seen snow in 20 years. I would like a 4WD but am affraid I would only be buying it to have another "cool " option. :thumbs: I don't pull anything nor do I go off the pavement, hell I barely drive off the highway!! I need a truck that will last (if taken care of) 250k miles. What do you think of the 6.0 over the 5.3?

I got the Texas Edition 5.3 2008 GMC Sierra. I got the 5.3 cuz I wanted to save gas it gets 24-26 (mpg) and in my 2006 tahoe I was getting like 14(mpg) so I save gas and money(and with gas prices of today that was most important). This is a powerful truck.. im a Chevy guy but I have to say I liked GMCs look alot better this year too. I pull an 18ft boat and it tows it like a CHAMP!!!I know you dont tow but its good to know you can. GOODLUCK with your new buy... :D IM HAPPY WITH MINE>>>

I live in Houston, TX, have not seen snow in 20 years. I would like a 4WD but am affraid I would only be buying it to have another "cool " option. :tear: I don't pull anything nor do I go off the pavement, hell I barely drive off the highway!! I need a truck that will last (if taken care of) 250k miles. What do you think of the 6.0 over the 5.3?

Living in Houston and saying you'll never go off-road, I would suggest not spending the extra money on the 4WD. 1) You don't need it. 2) It'll get worse mileage than the 2wd would. At 5k miles per month, that'll add up.

Between the 5.3 and the 6.0, I'd probably get the 6.0. There's not a lot of difference in the gas mileage between the two and the 6.0 would probably run a little "easier" for all those miles you'll be racking up every month, which could make it last longer. Additionally, if you're not always "on it" the 6.0 might get a the same or even better mileage than the 5.3. When I can keep my foot out of my Denali (which doesn't happen a lot, I'll admit), I can get 21 or so, out on the road.

Nearly $7500 off sticker? Yeah, I'd say it sounds like a good deal. Post pics when you get it! :nonod:

I got the Texas Edition 5.3 2008 GMC Sierra. I got the 5.3 cuz I wanted to save gas it gets 24-26 (mpg) and in my 2006 tahoe I was getting like 14(mpg) so I save gas and money(and with gas prices of today that was most important). This is a powerful truck.. im a Chevy guy but I have to say I liked GMCs look alot better this year too. I pull an 18ft boat and it tows it like a CHAMP!!!I know you dont tow but its good to know you can. GOODLUCK with your new buy... :nonod: IM HAPPY WITH MINE>>>

No offense, but I find 24-26 mpg in a 5000 pound brick a little hard to believe...

Post some pics of the truck! :tear:

Yeah, mid 20's in a full-size truck? Perhaps if all of your driving was downhill. :nonod:

As for truck features/options. That just depends on whether you decide to go with a more practical approach or not. Are you shopping for something you "need" or "want." But since you're buying a full-size truck, your mileage is what it is. And don't expect much from the aftermarket to help make it better. Mileage is never great in these things. Especially if you go with the 6.0l. You can search around the forum. The 6.0's typically get worse mileage. And by worse I mean a couple MPG.

I figure I'm already going to get crappy mileage... why not make it a bit worse and have power to go with it? But I'm not the most practical vehicle shopper either. :tear:

If you can afford it I say go for it. Which would you rather, spending a little more and getting what you really want, or spending less and being miserable for the 250K? As for the 4wd, I say as long as you don't need it, skip it. It doesn't snow and you don't go off-road, I think you would be fine with the 2WD and be very pleased.

As for the gas mileage I have a 1500HD with the 6.0 and 3.73s. I do about a 40/60 mix of city and highway, and I pull consistent 13-14 MPGs. This truck should be a little lighter and get somewhere around 15-17 especially if you get the 4.10s with the AFM.

• 3 weeks later...
I live in Houston, TX, have not seen snow in 20 years.

Didn't it snow in Houston on Christmas Day 2004? Or was it the year before that?

Deciding between a 5.3L and the 6.0 really depends on how you drive. There are times when I wish I would've gotten a 6L truck, but I tow occasionally and have a very heavy foot. When I take it easy, I get 17-19mpg with my 05 5.3L. Mine doesn't have AFM, the aluminum block, or the aerodynamics of the new ones either. I do have 3.23 gears and 245/75R17s compared to steeper gearing and heavier wheels/tires that most of the newer trucks have.

I don't know if you are into it, but when I was in Houston street racing was pretty fun. A stock 4WD+6L combo would blow a stock RWD 5.3L combo away on the street!

Thanks for all the info guys! I know I would rather have the 6.0L but they are HARD to find! As for the 4WD, if the truck I find has it then I'll get it, if it doesn't then I won't. That makes it simple. Yes the street racing down here (Houston) is great but haven't actually gone out to the hot spots in like a year. Well I will have something by the end of the week so I will post pics as soon as I can! I can't wait to see what I find? By the way, I looked at an LTZ Avalanche lastnight and actually liked it alot. It was loaded (nav,sunroof,rear camera,etc.) But the lowest they would go was $42500.

Archived