Evap Vent Valve Solenoid #

im having the same problem with my 05 silverado im just wondering if anyone has any pics of the install ??would be a great help for a rookie like myself with barely any mechanical knowledge.any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Click on this link.....

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...71&hl=p0449

robo1 has some pics of the part and install on his 05.

thanks bears fan my trucks fixed and the engine lights out.i really appreciated your help

Guys, any help on this please?

Guys, please help me with this, I have a silverado 1500 2003, have the P0446 light set, it says "EVAP emission control circuit", after researching found that I need to replace the evap vanister vent solenoid, bought frm AutoZone , this is the part I bought

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...chText=solenoid

the problem that the part I bought does not look the same as the one I found on the truck between the bed and the truck, GM TSB says that the new one is an upgraded part and it is different and supposed t be installed apart from the filter box, as I understood from the forum that I am supposed to buy 5/8 hoses and connect one hose from the new solenoid to the evap cansiter, and another hose should be connected from the solenoid to the filter box, I have the following questions, can I use the old filter box "square box" or am I supposed to buy a new one? also the new part as shown in the AutoZone link I provided has 2 openings, which one should connect to the evap cansiter and which one should connect to the filter box? also the old bracket does not seem to work for the new solenoid?

little help here please?

:thumbs:

I appreciate your respnse alot, I am struggeling with this thing, Yes my old part look almost the same but the filter box is square shape but I think should be the same, d you know the part number, where to order from?

Read my previous post (#43) which provides a link which shows pictures of the old canister on a 2005 Silverado. If it's the same as your old part and I think it is, then order the part for the 2006 Suburban which will be the same as your old part. Take that one from Auto Zone back.

AC Delco P/N 214-2149

is this the part you are referring to ?

I appreciate your respnse alot, I am struggeling with this thing, Yes my old part look almost the same but the filter box is square shape but I think should be the same, d you know the part number, where to order from?

Read my previous post (#43) which provides a link which shows pictures of the old canister on a 2005 Silverado. If it's the same as your old part and I think it is, then order the part for the 2006 Suburban which will be the same as your old part. Take that one from Auto Zone back.

AC Delco P/N 214-2149

You mean your original old part is a square box??? Also, what size engine do you have (4.8 or 5.3) and is it 4wd or 2wd??? post-74109-1270694162_thumb.jpg

Is this what your OLD part looks like???

post-74109-1270694162_thumb.jpg

it looks like the part in this link

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...71&hl=p0449

look at post #4, but the filter box attached to the solenoid is square shape not cylynderical, my truck is 2003 silverado 2wd 5.3 engine. and NO it does not look like the photo you posted.

AC Delco P/N 214-2149

You mean your original old part is a square box??? Also, what size engine do you have (4.8 or 5.3) and is it 4wd or 2wd??? post-74109-1270694162_thumb.jpg

Is this what your OLD part looks like???

I have the same issue with my 2001 with a 4.3. As far as I can tell, the current one is a square box- I can't really get to it cause I can't get the hose loose from the unit- it;s that weird connector. But, as I understand it, the "new" version of the part, 214-2149, has a larger, round box on it which won't fit - at least with the current bracket. So is the solution to just use the new part and bend the bracket so it fits? I imagine the part itself works fine, after all it's just a solenoid (switch, basically)

ok, assume I wanna keep and use the new part which is mentioned in the autozone link, where is the filter box? does it have one? or shall I use the filter box provided by the old part "the old square looking one"? if so then the new part has 2 ports? which one connects to the filter and which one connects to the evap cansiter?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/p...chText=solenoid

I have the same issue with my 2001 with a 4.3. As far as I can tell, the current one is a square box- I can't really get to it cause I can't get the hose loose from the unit- it;s that weird connector. But, as I understand it, the "new" version of the part, 214-2149, has a larger, round box on it which won't fit - at least with the current bracket. So is the solution to just use the new part and bend the bracket so it fits? I imagine the part itself works fine, after all it's just a solenoid (switch, basically)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I guess this is old news, but I would like to thank MS3DALE for his response to this problem way back when.

Recently replaced the vent valve assembly on my 2003 GMC with the upgrade kit and 5/8 heater hose, etc. Only problem was getting the old pipe supports out of the frame member up between the cab and bed. When I got them out, the new assembly went in smooth as oiled glass. I did not put the new vent on top of the transmission in accordance with the TSB instructions, but opted to secure it inside the frame rail with cable ties (reckon I'm gonna blow up??).

Again thanks MS3DALE!!

Thanks to everyone's information here, I tried replacing the vent valve on my 2000 Sierra deviating from what Rock Auto tells me to get (the expensive kit). I bought the round valve, part 214-2149 for $35 including shipping from Rock Auto. It didn't match the square valve on my truck, but the wiring connector and the vent hose connector matched. I plugged it in, took off the bracket and just left it sitting in place. It doesn't look like it will go anywhere. I could barely get it in there. But this didn't turn off my CEL or get rid of my P0449 code.

I saw Maxoutput's note about a broken wire, so I started looking for that. First I checked that I had 12V at the IGN1 fuse in the fuse box with the key turned to run. I did. Then I checked for 12V at the plug (on the pink lead side) - still good. Then I pulled the ECU and the connector blocks and tried to find where the ground (white) wire went. I found a likely candidate, but I didn't have continuity between it and the plug. So I traced it into the bottom of the fuse box, separated the connector there and tried again. No luck to the connector, but I had continuity from the connector in the fuse block back to the ECU connector. I didn't see anything bad looking in the engine bay, so I raised up the bed a bit (which was a huge pain due to my hitch being in the way of the last two bolts on the bed) and took a closer look at the connector for the valve. The wires were all wrapped up in electrical tape right by the connector. I undid that and found that the white wire was cleanly broken. I checked continuity between the break and the connector in the fuse box, and that was good so I proceeded to solder the wires by together, heatshrink the connection and put a plastic wire loom over the wires. Plugged it all together, put everything back together and it worked! No more CEL.

I attached some pictures showing the white wire and connector under the fuse box that connects to the vent valve. It's the blue connector that's pulled apart, the white wire on the left end that has the purple wire stuck into it (which is connected to my ohm meter). The other pic shows the connector with the repaired white wire (the vent valve is twisted out of the way while I was soldering the wire). Hope this helps someone.

post-68831-1282184339_thumb.jpg

post-68831-1282184402_thumb.jpg

Is there a difference between AC-Delco part number 214-2149 vs. 214-1105 (which is the number advance autoparts' website tells me i need for my model)? I can find 2149 but 1105 is about 40 miles from where I live, not imposible, but I'd like to save the trip if i can. I have a 2006 Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3, extended cab, shortbed, part located right infront of the gap between bed and cab on the top of the fuel tank. Thanks!

• Like 1

Is there a difference between AC-Delco part number 214-2149 vs. 214-1105 (which is the number advance autoparts' website tells me i need for my model)? I can find 2149 but 1105 is about 40 miles from where I live, not imposible, but I'd like to save the trip if i can. I have a 2006 Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3, extended cab, shortbed, part located right infront of the gap between bed and cab on the top of the fuel tank. Thanks!

OK got the answer. Part # 214-2149 is the round solenoid (housing I guess, but...). Part 214-1105 is the square solenoid. Advance Autoparts tried to sell me the wrong one, based on the model info for my truck. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable, but hopefully this helps somebody.