Mechanical Work

Guest Friz

This is serious, folks.

There are quite a few good mechanics on this site and all have good advice.

For the novices out there, do not rely on our word or directions when it comes to performing maintenance on your vehicle. If you are going to work on your truck, you need a repair manual. Chilton's, Haynes', or the factory manual are all good.

I am sure that no one here would intentionally mislead anyone into messing up their motor or tranny, but our advice may be wrong! It could be that we don't understand the problem correctly or that you, as a truck owner needing some help, misinterpret our analysis and remedy.

Please go and get a shop manual for your vehicle before taking anything apart.

Oh so true.  Diagnosing a problem even when I have a customer there in person to ask questions of is hard enough.  Diagnosing "on paper" like this can be really frustrating sometimes and lead to a misdiagnosis.  To be perfectly frank with you all, I actually don't trust what a customer might think the problem is.  The best diagnosis is to actually drive the vehicle and find the problem myself.  Only if nothing is obvious do I try to get input from the customer.

Rob

Well said.  The advice given may be helpful to diagnose problems others share, but I would definitely not take anything apart not matter how simple it seems before consulting a service manual.  Sometimes leaving out a step could have devastating effects.  Especially safety related items (brakes, suspension, airbags etc) :D

One thing I was taught back in the day when I was going for ASE accredidation (sp?) was that the only stupid technician was one that didn't consult the tech manual if they were unsure of something.

When in doubt or not clear, LOOK IT UP!!!

• 4 months later...

You are right Fritz,

I am a retired heavy truck tech instructor, and the best advice I gave to my students was: R.T.F.M. Translated, that means, Read The Factory Manual!

BIG MIKE

• 2 months later...
You are right Fritz,

I am a retired heavy truck tech instructor, and the best advice I gave to my students was: R.T.F.M. Translated, that means, Read The Factory Manual!

BIG MIKE

Not where I come from.  :D    It's a ton less politically correct.

I agree 100% regardless.  I have full set of HELM manuals...  Of course, the coverage is for the trucks, yukons, 'burbs.  and all engines, including diesel... Makes it a bit of a chore to locate what I need.  I'll probably pick up a Haynes as a quick reference.

later

bobc

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Certainly would be a great resource... :crackup:

And the manuals are definitely a major help. But, alas! You almost need a Tech II! sniff

EDIT: If anyone has a clue on the paragraph following this one, please PM me so as not to clutter the original topic. Just realised that this is not the correct forum, but dang............! I wish I had an answer. Posted it originally here thinking the experts lived at this location. grinnn

My hope of adjusting values on my "standard" DIC vs. the "extra features" DIC were dashed after digging through the manual. I was hoping that the Tech II could adjust these (extra time on the puddle lights rather than TWO seconds!!!, and increases in other parked night-time illumination). I couldn't find any mention of it.

Ah well...........

• 11 months later...

I have a problem with my 92 typhoon,it has engine knock that some people said it would go away after doin a tune up,well the tune up was done and the knock is still there is there any adjustments or sensors that I can do or get to correct this prob or is my motor shot?

• 2 weeks later...

Typhooney. This thread is a warning/guide to opinions on how to do something.

As far as your problem goes A knock is very hard to diagnois over the internet. especially with a 6 word sentance describing it makes a noise when I push the go pedal. Someone has to hear it to give a correct diagnosis. Most everyone else is guessing. Including me. My qualifications? ASE certified master auto and medium heavy truck tech. I have been to GM school plus some ferd. Ialso have electric vehicle certification. I paint weld and faricate and still have no idea what kind of "knock" you have. Is the timing set right? Does it have a miss? What's your fuel pressure? Pressure regulator leaking/working? Bad injector? exhaust leak? broken flywheel? carbon build up? Timing chain? What boost? any codes? Is ecm showing knock retard? how much? O2 readings at wot? fuel trim?

I guess what I am getting at is sometimes you just have to have someone else look at it. Look for a highly recomended shop let them know you problems and expectations then bite the bullit.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree... In the electronics / computer biz we have a saying...

RTFM

Read The F_____g Manual!

It applies anytime somebody calls the IT staff for something that is easily solved by reading the manual. The same is true in here a lot of the times.

:cheers:

Archived