Old School Mpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a 2007 1500 Crew Cab LTZ - installed Corsa Cat Back, K&N Filter, added 3:08 gears. I'm working with a tuner and presently try to sort out tune to get better MPG.

Welcome to the site Walt! Sounds like a nice truck you got there. The 3:08 gears may actually hurt your mileage if you do alot of driving on hills or city driving, they'll help on flat highway though. Blackbear Performance has helped several people out with better mileage in his tunes from what I have heard.

And guys, let's welcome the new guy and his statement of what he has planned for his truck, not roast him for not coming in asking questions. :cheers:

I have a 2007 1500 Crew Cab LTZ - installed Corsa Cat Back, K&N Filter, added 3:08 gears. I'm working with a tuner and presently try to sort out tune to get better MPG.

Welcome to the site Walt! Sounds like a nice truck you got there. The 3:08 gears may actually hurt your mileage if you do alot of driving on hills or city driving, they'll help on flat highway though. Blackbear Performance has helped several people out with better mileage in his tunes from what I have heard.

And guys, let's welcome the new guy and his statement of what he has planned for his truck, not roast him for not coming in asking questions. :cheers:

Welcome aboard. Good luck on your MPG quest. If you come up with any good tricks let me know, I only get 10 MPG.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What do you consider "old school"?

2. What's so "special" about "old school"

Keep in mind old school cars and trucks from decades back may have been built stronger, but how was their overall performance in comparison to now? Power? Emissions? Economy?

Having owned a 195 Ford full size Bronco 4x4 with a V-8 (302?) I can attest that maybe it go a lot of places, but it also averaged 9 mpg with the best being 10.5.

My new truck is a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE with a 5.3 liter and 4x4. I get and average of 15.3 mpg with it. The only reason it doesn't go the same places as the Bronco is the tires. I have all season highway tires on it. But I guarantee you, if I put my work tires on it, yes it will out perform the Bronco in a heartbeat. Far more comfortable, far more luxurious, all in all a much better truck. The only draw back is the limitation of what I fix do myself. But then, if it's properly maintained, I really do not foresee a concern.

Archived