Dreaded Steering Shaft Clunk, Again!

Jet-X

After 2 grease kits and a new steering shaft my local dealer claims to have a updated band-aid fix. The service advisor says that they have been using a new grease since January and they haven't seen any owners coming back. Is this BS? Anyone ever seen a bulletin on this? If so, please post. Thanks...

After 2 grease kits and a new steering shaft my local dealer claims to have a updated band-aid fix.  The service advisor says that they have been using a new grease since January and they haven't seen any owners coming back.  Is this BS?  Anyone ever seen a bulletin on this?  If so, please post. Thanks...

I had the "new grease" fix for the intermediate shaft knock 3 months ago or so. The service writer was less than optimistic about it as fixing the issue. Well, after less than 7k miles, the knock is back. It is just a trademark noise for GM Trucks that we need to get used to.

After 2 grease kits and a new steering shaft my local dealer claims to have a updated band-aid fix.  The service advisor says that they have been using a new grease since January and they haven't seen any owners coming back.  Is this BS?  Anyone ever seen a bulletin on this?  If so, please post. Thanks...

I had the "new grease" fix for the intermediate shaft knock 3 months ago or so. The service writer was less than optimistic about it as fixing the issue. Well, after less than 7k miles, the knock is back. It is just a trademark noise for GM Trucks that we need to get used to.

is this true of the 06s as well? when should i start to hear it?

is this true of the 06s as well? when should i start to hear it?

Just a thought, Is there somewhere to install an external grease zerk that could be easily serviced every 6 months? Should be able to drill and tap a grease zerk somewhere on that shaft.

My 06 started doing it at about 10k. I just took it in a few weeks ago and had it fixed. the dealer took care of it while i waited, it took them like all of 40 min to fix.

I like the zerk idea. I think someday when mines out of warranty i will look into that option. Im sure if i took it to my fathers machine shop he or one of his guys could figure out a way to make that work.

67ChevyRedneck its soemthing that you can both hear and feel. Mine i could feel a definite clunk in the wheel when i went around a corner with bumps involved. The road i drive down every day to work has a nice sweeping right with lots of bumps and i could really feel it on that road otherwise not hardly at all. I could hear it too, it sounded kind of like a loose shock but the feeling in the wheel was a dead giveaway that i was in the steering.

67ChevyRedneck its soemthing that you can both hear and feel. Mine i could feel a definite clunk in the wheel when i went around a corner with bumps involved. The road i drive down every day to work has a nice sweeping right with lots of bumps and i could really feel it on that road otherwise not hardly at all.  I could hear it too, it sounded kind of like a loose shock but the feeling in the wheel was a dead giveaway that i was in the steering.

Ok, thanks, that's what I thought. My truck doesn't make any clunking sounds (that I've noticed) but it does have a slight bump feeling when I go over bumps that it didn't have before (about a month ago). Not real bad, but enough to where I ordered the lube kit from GM parts direct. I'm spending so much time on the '67 to get it done the Z71 has been getting neglected and I haven't had time to "lube" it yet :shakehead:

Has anyone replaced the entire steering shaft instead of constantly lubing it every few months??? I was looking into a better replacement shaft and found one from summit racing that seems good. Has anyone used this shaft or one similar to it? Heres the link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

I'm thinking how many, what percentage, of our trucks have this problem? Obviously only people that have experienced it will post here. My truck was almost out of warranty when I bought it in for something else. I asked to have the lube kit installed as a precaution, they agreed to do it and so far at 51,000 no problems. Is there a GM TECH out there who can give an estimate of the percent of trucks serviced that have this intermediate shaft clunk? :shakehead:

Has anyone replaced the entire steering shaft instead of constantly lubing it every few months???  I was looking into a better replacement shaft and found one from summit racing that seems good. Has anyone used this shaft or one similar to it?  Heres  the link  http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

I believe several people have tried and said that the clunk did return.

Has anyone replaced the entire steering shaft instead of constantly lubing it every few months???  I was looking into a better replacement shaft and found one from summit racing that seems good. Has anyone used this shaft or one similar to it?  Heres  the link   http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

I believe several people have tried and said that the clunk did return.

I've heard the same. GM needs to come out with their own revised shaft. I'm assuming they solved this problem for the GMT900s so there should be one in existence. Maybe that's why we haven't seen it, because making them available for the GMT 900s is the priority?

I'm assuming they can use the same I-Shaft. Does anyone have information to the contrary?

We bought a "Borgeson Steering Shaft" for our truck. The knock has not come back. You can buy them on Summitracing.com

GM is so full of BS. Practically every truck has a problem with the steering shaft, yet they aren't doing anything constructive to fix the problem. :shakehead:

Archived