04 GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton 6.0 motor issue

I had to change a pump in my 2002 a GM mechanic told me use a Carter pump. That's what I did, it was cheaper than OEM and lasted another 100k kms till I sold it...worked fine. Only thing is I had to cut and re solder some electrical connectors....easy tho.

I see a lot of AIRTEX pumps out there. Any experience with them?

Price is not the deciding factor for me here. I want a pump that will last. I intend to have this truck for a lot of years yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the fuel pump on order. But also wanting to replace the fuel pressure regulator. I feel kind of dumb, but I can't visually locate it on my engine. Can someone tell me where to look for it? 2004 6.0 gas motor.

Also, can someone tell me what the fuel pressure should read? I'm going to rent a gauge to check on that, but not sure what spec I should be hitting.

Thanks!

I've got the fuel pump on order. But also wanting to replace the fuel pressure regulator. I feel kind of dumb, but I can't visually locate it on my engine. Can someone tell me where to look for it? 2004 6.0 gas motor.

FPR is part of the fuel pump assembly

55-62 psi

My 04 burb with the 8.1 had the fuel pump strand me in Limon Colorado last week. The problem like yours had been happening since the truck had 17k miles. Currently it failed big time at 94k miles. Altitude heat and pulling the trailer with about 6k pounds was to much. Added gas and drove it into Denver the next morning with no problem. About 1,000 dollars later the truck has gone on to yellostone and home to Oklahoma w no problem.

Called GM and said this same problem was documented by the delear numerous times in warranty. They laughed and said that altitude is weather and that could be the cause. Looks like the pump got weaker over the years and finally stranded us in Limon. Mine did code with lean codes, but it was because the pump was failing. I've been in your seat and I'd run to get the pump changed. Gm said they talked with the dealer and it was not a manufactures defect so unless you want to sue them for a part that has a high failure rate you are screwd. Sorry gm techs, this is a great vehicle but when it fails on a 3 percent grade every time you go to Colorado, I'd say it is a manufactures defect.....complaint line is a joke, but hey, the sales brouchure should say that stalling and dying is normal while towing in temps above 70 and in altitude.

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Ps- a service bulletin will also address the issue.

Thanks for the further confirmation, sweathog. The more I search around this site, the more I feel better about the issue most likely being a bad/tired fuel pump. I'll rent a pressure gauge the day I do the swap and get before and after numbers. Not looking forward to the job, but I sure hope this is the end of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the pump online and tore into it today. Nothing too unexpected except there's more plumbing than an RV around that tank. Once the tank was on the ground, I visually compared the top of the OEM pump to the new one. Arrg, wrong pump! So I send off a nasty-gram to the company and start searching for the part locally. No joy, but I got asked "front or rear tank" by everybody. I've had dual tank trucks before. Two filler holes, switch on the dash, very obvious.

But it got me curious, that and the extra plumbing. So back under I went. Sure enough, there is a small tank on top of my spare tire too. Not too bad to get out of there, and the pump I had ordered fit in there perfectly. I have no idea how they keep the fuel gauge coordinated as the small tank is above the main tank, and pumps out first. It was dead empty. The fuel filler tube Y's out behind the cap area with a hose to each tank. I never noticed anything odd when filling the tank, so it seems a well designed system. But I can't say I appreciate the expense of two fuel pumps! I have the other one being overnighted, so should be back on the road by the weekend. Not a daily driver, so no big deal there.

Some of the fuel system plumbing went to a box/canister that is all the way in the back of the truck, between the spare and the rear bumper. It has some other lines running to it and an electrical connector. I have NO idea what that's all about. I also cannot find a pressure regulator anywhere in the system. I'd love to see a detailed diagram of the fuel system in my truck.

I'm hoping this fixes it, but I have doubts. Fuel pressure before the change out is right a 62psi, which is on the high end of the 55-62psi spec. But the issue only happened on hot days, so maybe that impacted one of the pumps.

• 5 months later...

JEB

I know this is an old post. I was looking for some information and came across it on a search. I have a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 with 6.0. Are you by chance climbing steep hills or experincing significant elevation change when you have the problem? I had a similar experience a couple of years ago whille pulling a trailer accross I-80. On the way into Cheyenne WY (elev 5700') the truck was acting like it wasn't getting fuel. it was bogging down. We were riding the shoulder. It would stall. We'd wait couple minutes, start it and run a bit. It acted like it was not getting enough fuel. I was thinking plugged fuel filter because I had a similar eperience on a 98 1500 years ago. We limped into Cheyenne and hit an auto parts store for a filter. talking to the guy at at counter - he said that truck doesn't have a fuel filter. we talked about what it was doing and he said it could be the elevation change. He checked for codes and found none. He said there maybe a valve stuck that was not allowing the engine to adjust to the altitude. We ran a couple of cans of fuel injector cleaner through it. That was around 100K. We have 148K now and never had the problem again. Just got lucky I guess.

Did you end up change the pump? did it fix the problem?

• 5 weeks later...

JEB

I know this is an old post. I was looking for some information and came across it on a search. I have a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 with 6.0. Are you by chance climbing steep hills or experincing significant elevation change when you have the problem? I had a similar experience a couple of years ago whille pulling a trailer accross I-80. On the way into Cheyenne WY (elev 5700') the truck was acting like it wasn't getting fuel. it was bogging down. We were riding the shoulder. It would stall. We'd wait couple minutes, start it and run a bit. It acted like it was not getting enough fuel. I was thinking plugged fuel filter because I had a similar eperience on a 98 1500 years ago. We limped into Cheyenne and hit an auto parts store for a filter. talking to the guy at at counter - he said that truck doesn't have a fuel filter. we talked about what it was doing and he said it could be the elevation change. He checked for codes and found none. He said there maybe a valve stuck that was not allowing the engine to adjust to the altitude. We ran a couple of cans of fuel injector cleaner through it. That was around 100K. We have 148K now and never had the problem again. Just got lucky I guess.

Did you end up change the pump? did it fix the problem?

Sorry, just seeing this. It has happened on flat land and rolling hills. We have a LOT of hills here in the Ozark Mts, but no big elevation changes. Max peak in the state is below 3k'.

I did change the pumps, but we have not had any hot weather since I did it, which is about the only consistent factor at this point. So will have to wait until next summer to know for sure.

I dunno, I don't think elevation has anything to do with it. Although you do sound like ur on the right track, i had an issue like this before in a 2002. Except my 02 actually had a filter, changed that made no difference. A friend told me to try injector cleaner cuz it also helps lubricate fuel pump. And viola ran perfect...

I'm willing to bet you were having a fuel pump issue..

Archived