Empty ac system - suggestions

white1500

Question

The ac on my truck has been empty for almost two years now and this week I'm going to get it fixed. The only issue that has been diagnosed has been a major leak in the main seal within the compressor.

Most shops have given me a quote for the kit of the compressor, evap, and drier of about 1k. Not bad since that was the average from 4 shops.

But one shop recommended that I only do the compressor since nothing ever failed. For just the compressor it would be $840. Is this recommended in general? From everything I've read in the past I think that the whole kit would be best for the long term. I don't want to have to touch the ac in many many years!

Tyia.

With the A/C unit being open for 2 years you will need to change the receiver/dryer, I would also suggest you change the fixed orifice tube. The system will also need to be put under a vacuum for 30 minutes to boil out any moisture in the system. Water will boil at room temperature when under a vacuum.

Receiver/dryer has a desiccant bag inside to absorb moisture.

When parts are replaced there is a spec for the amount of oil to add for each component. Refrigerant carries the oil around the system. Compressor crank is lubricated by the oil carried in the refrigerant, much like a 2 stroke lawn mower engine operates.

As mentioned, replace compressor, accumulator/drier, orifice tube. No need for evap replacement unless it's leaking as well. You sure they didn't say condenser? Condenser usually is only replaced if the pump let go and blew trash throughout. Many places change then as part of the warranty.

If it were me, I'd flush the system just to clean it out so you can start off knowing how much oil is really in the system

Pay was damn good in those days. Much easier work for a newbie tech just starting out too. These days school is a must.

Yeah Snap-On is still big $$$. I bought $500 worth of tools from them at their student (MMI, Phoenix) discount of 50%, 15 years ago . Only got me about 6 tools ... :lol:

Went to trade school three times during apprenticeship. 8 weeks in the second year, 8 weeks in the third year, and 8 weeks in the 4th year. If you did not have grade 12, apprenticeship was 9,000 hours. After I finished my second trade school session, my boss took me in his office and said that since the other apprentice (he was a year ahead of me) came back from trade school just as I left for it, started slacking off at work since he was not flat rate, taking three times longer than normal to complete jobs, all apprentices were being put on flat rate, and since that was not really fair, we would also be put on journeyman's wages. I came back and was put on transmissions because the old trans mechanic was retiring. After about 3 months of being on flat rate and getting full pay ($6.75/hr by then), I was booking between 48 to 55 hours a week. Was taking home about twice what I did before trade school. Chrysler make it good for me when they brought out the lock up convertors in 78. So many failures, so many hours pay.

Archived