Black trucks

Sorry to cut in uninvited but...

You wash your truck?! Isn't that consider blasphemy? :-)

Hey it may be a crime but the other black trucks on this thread look pretty clean also.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to cut in uninvited but...

You wash your truck?! Isn't that consider blasphemy? :-)

Hey it may be a crime but the other black trucks on this thread look pretty clean also.

My other trucks that I've had I was lucky to wash them once a year. This truck though being that it's my first brand new truck and the money that it cost I want to try to take good care of it. I washed it once a week, but now that it's gotten cold I haven't done it. It got into the 70s earlier this week so I did wash it that day.

My other trucks that I've had I was lucky to wash them once a year. This truck though being that it's my first brand new truck and the money that it cost I want to try to take good care of it. I washed it once a week, but now that it's gotten cold I haven't done it. It got into the 70s earlier this week so I did wash it that day.

I see you have the black Chevy bow ties... How is the fit and finish on those bad boys ? Was is tough getting the stock ones off ? Thinking of swapping mine out too.

I see you have the black Chevy bow ties... How is the fit and finish on those bad boys ? Was is tough getting the stock ones off ? Thinking of swapping mine out too.

I went the more expensive long lasting route and bought aluminum replacements. The front I did the full emblem and the rear I did just the insert to keep the chrome trim. I got them from autoextras and those emblems you can get an exact color match and if you want black you can get the gloss (which is what I got) or the matte flat powdercoat black. They are well made and just uses double sides tape which after a few months and summer sun they haven't felt like they have come loose or anything. They weren't cheap, but to me worth it for the long run over just painting or plasti dipping.

As for getting the old ones off, for the insets you just drill small holes where the template shows and stop drilling which each part comes loose. The inserts are just held on with plastic rivets. Then to take the chrome trim off the grille I just carefully pried it off with the clips after getting the insert off. The template is supposed to be the size of the inserts but it was smaller so best thing to do is cut the template so all of the edges are lined up. Took maybe 10-15 minutes to do both front and rear. So insert and then the trim piece that the insert is in for the grille and just the insert on the tailgate if you want to do what I did. If you want to keep the trim on the grille (like the tailgate) then just take off the insert. If you want to take the trim piece off the tailgate then just remove it like any other badge. If you get the insert for both front and rear like my tailgate is then make sure you put the right one in the right trim since the front and rear emblems have slightly different bends in the middle.

Full replacement: http://www.autoextras.com/Exterior-Dressup-Silverado-p/aeab-silverado-14-abd-1401f.htm

Just the insert: http://www.autoextras.com/Exterior-Dressup-Silverado-p/aeab-silverado-14-abd-1401i.htm

IMGP1017-Copy.jpg

IMGP1024.jpg

Just wrap them in vinyl. It's very cheap, easy, and will practically last as long as you own the truck.

I went the more expensive long lasting route and bought aluminum replacements. The front I did the full emblem and the rear I did just the insert to keep the chrome trim. I got them from autoextras and those emblems you can get an exact color match and if you want black you can get the gloss (which is what I got) or the matte flat powdercoat black. They are well made and just uses double sides tape which after a few months and summer sun they haven't felt like they have come loose or anything. They weren't cheap, but to me worth it for the long run over just painting or plasti dipping.

As for getting the old ones off, for the insets you just drill small holes where the template shows and stop drilling which each part comes loose. The inserts are just held on with plastic rivets. Then to take the chrome trim off the grille I just carefully pried it off with the clips after getting the insert off. The template is supposed to be the size of the inserts but it was smaller so best thing to do is cut the template so all of the edges are lined up. Took maybe 10-15 minutes to do both front and rear. So insert and then the trim piece that the insert is in for the grille and just the insert on the tailgate if you want to do what I did. If you want to keep the trim on the grille (like the tailgate) then just take off the insert. If you want to take the trim piece off the tailgate then just remove it like any other badge. If you get the insert for both front and rear like my tailgate is then make sure you put the right one in the right trim since the front and rear emblems have slightly different bends in the middle.

Full replacement: http://www.autoextras.com/Exterior-Dressup-Silverado-p/aeab-silverado-14-abd-1401f.htm

Just the insert: http://www.autoextras.com/Exterior-Dressup-Silverado-p/aeab-silverado-14-abd-1401i.htm

IMGP1017-Copy.jpg

IMGP1024.jpg

Nice write up ... They look real good on your truck. I would go with the inserts like you did too. I just picked up an Airaid Jr. Kit that I am putting on this weekend. I am putting the black bowties on my list ... Thanks again.

Nice write up ... They look real good on your truck. I would go with the inserts like you did too. I just picked up an Airaid Jr. Kit that I am putting on this weekend. I am putting the black bowties on my list ... Thanks again.

It's just the insert on the tailgate and it's the full replacement on the grille. I think the grille bowtie looks best as one piece instead of a chrome insert. Now if the grille is color matched then just the insert would look better. The chrome trim helps separate the bowtie and whatever is around it.

It's just the insert on the tailgate and it's the full replacement on the grille. I think the grille bowtie looks best as one piece instead of a chrome insert. Now if the grille is color matched then just the insert would look better. The chrome trim helps separate the bowtie and whatever is around it.

Got it ... I see what your talking about now. I have the chrome honey comb grill... The full replacement would look better wth that setup I believe also.

Just wrap them in vinyl. It's very cheap, easy, and will practically last as long as you own the truck.

Not sure about that. Unless they've figured out how to make them last longer, the best quality vinyl that is used for decals which is what will likely be used for this only really last about 5 years and then it starts to fade and crack. You can use the quality vinyl used for full body wraps but you might as well just get the aluminum painted replacements for that. The emblems I got is painted aluminum. Also the place I got them from the emblems are perfect color match colors and offer over 10 different factory colors. If you want flat black instead of gloss then it's powder coated. To me they will last longer and now show any age a lot longer than thin plastic covered in vinyl. Even plastidip starts to show age after a year or 2.

A sheet of vinyl every 5 years or so is still light years cheaper and easier than replacements.

Edit: if someone were to keep the truck that long.

Ya, but I don't like just going the cheap route if it's not going to look as good as I want or last as long. That's why I seemed to make such a big deal about the bowtie emblem on the steering wheel, which I still haven't done anything with it other than trying the vinyl and I couldn't get it to look like I would want it to. I plan on keeping the truck for as long as it's on the road. Plus I don't want to have to redo it over and over. Also as I said, autoanything has them in all factory colors that I know of so someone can get it to color match the truck, not just in black. Also I wanted the full replacement without the chrome trim for the front.

Brand New 2015 GMC 2500 HD SLT purchased 11/29/14

How did you get the 20" rims? Was it off the lot or ordered? I could not get the 20" rims when I ordered my 2015.5 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT on September 27th

Sierra Boy

Archived