Over-sensitive steering problem.....

Has anyone else noticed an intermittent problem with the steering feeling "overly-sensitive"(like driving a go-kart or a sports car) on their 2001-newer Suburban/Tahoe? It just started today so I have no data as far as what the common denominators are when it happens. I did shut the vehicle of for less than 2 minutes(checked the power steering fluid and it was just where it should be when warm) and then it seemed normal again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue that can give me an idea of what might be the problem..?? :chevy:

Thanks,

-John

Has anyone else noticed an intermittent problem with the steering feeling "overly-sensitive"(like driving a go-kart or a sports car) on their 2001-newer Suburban/Tahoe?  It just started today so I have no data as far as what the common denominators are when it happens.  I did shut the vehicle of for less than 2 minutes(checked the power steering fluid and it was just where it should be when warm) and then it seemed normal again. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue that can give me an idea of what might be the problem..??  :chevy:

Thanks,

-John

Check out this thread(www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30775). It speaks about a steering sensor. Read it and see what you think. :loser:

Has anyone else noticed an intermittent problem with the steering feeling "overly-sensitive"(like driving a go-kart or a sports car) on their 2001-newer Suburban/Tahoe?  It just started today so I have no data as far as what the common denominators are when it happens.  I did shut the vehicle of for less than 2 minutes(checked the power steering fluid and it was just where it should be when warm) and then it seemed normal again. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue that can give me an idea of what might be the problem..??  :chevy:

Thanks,

-John

Check out this thread(www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30775). It speaks about a steering sensor. Read it and see what you think. :loser:

Thanks Jacqson. We may be on to something here...... I just need to figure out exactly where this plug is so I can disconnect it to see if it eliminates the problem.

-John

Has anyone else experienced this issue that can give me an idea of what might be the problem..??  :banghead:

Thanks,

-John

Check out this thread(www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30775). It speaks about a steering sensor. Read it and see what you think. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jacqson. We may be on to something here...... I just need to figure out exactly where this plug is so I can disconnect it to see if it eliminates the problem.

-John

The sensor is wrapped around the steering shaft above the brake pedal (looks like a donut). Some have had good luck spraying it with WD-40 and some have had to replace. I replaced mine for ~$60 and 30 minutes labor and it fixed mine.

Has anyone else experienced this issue that can give me an idea of what might be the problem..??  :banghead:

Thanks,

-John

Check out this thread(www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30775). It speaks about a steering sensor. Read it and see what you think. :rolleyes:

-John

The sensor is wrapped around the steering shaft above the brake pedal (looks like a donut). Some have had good luck spraying it with WD-40 and some have had to replace. I replaced mine for ~$60 and 30 minutes labor and it fixed mine.

Bish,

So you have experienced the same problem that I am experiencing...???

Thanks,

-John

If what you are experiencing is a brief, sudden, and unexpected movement of the steering wheel when turning, as if your front tires momentarily hit a patch of ice, then I have experienced what you are experiencing. That sudden loss of resistance from the front wheels while going through a turn at 60mph is unnerving to say the least.

In my case it was definitely the EVO sensor. As mentioned, it is a flat, round sensor that has the steering shaft running throught the middle of it. It is located a few inches above the bolt that holds the two parts of the steering shaft together, right above the brake pedal. The hard part in replacing it is the electrical connector is kind of hard to reach on top of the steering column, and it is wrapped in some kind of foam that has adhesive on the inside. Getting that foam off so that I could unplug the connector was a pain.

Once the part was replaced the problem disappeared. I never tried just unplugging it to see what would happen. Some suggested spraying WD-40 inside it but I never tried that either.

:banghead:

If what you are experiencing is a brief, sudden, and unexpected movement of the steering wheel when turning, as if your front tires momentarily hit a patch of ice, then I have experienced what you are experiencing.  That sudden loss of resistance from the front wheels while going through a turn at 60mph is unnerving to say the least.

In my case it was definitely the EVO sensor.  As mentioned, it is a flat, round sensor that has the steering shaft running throught the middle of it.  It is located a few inches above the bolt that holds the two parts of the steering shaft together, right above the brake pedal.  The hard part in replacing it is the electrical connector is kind of hard to reach on top of the steering column, and it is wrapped in some kind of foam that has adhesive on the inside.  Getting that foam off so that I could unplug the connector was a pain.

Once the part was replaced the problem disappeared.  I never tried just unplugging it to see what would happen.  Some suggested spraying WD-40 inside it but I never tried that either.

:banghead:

Hmmm... That doesn't quite sound the same as what I experienced. This was a very/overly sensitive feeling that I was experiencing.....???

-John

Thanks,

-John

-John

Bish,

Thanks,

-John

Unless our descriptions of the problem are way off....Yes, I was experiencing the same problem. Seemed to be wandering on the highway like the wind was blowing but it wasn't. I put up with it for a year before I discovered the EVO sensor issue. Once I replaced it, the steering improved ina HUGE way.

To me, it felt like random over-steer like the variable assist thought I was in a parking lot at low speed but in fact I was driving at 75mph.

Thanks,

-John

-John

Bish,

Thanks,

-John

Unless our descriptions of the problem are way off....Yes, I was experiencing the same problem. Seemed to be wandering on the highway like the wind was blowing but it wasn't. I put up with it for a year before I discovered the EVO sensor issue. Once I replaced it, the steering improved ina HUGE way.

To me, it felt like random over-steer like the variable assist thought I was in a parking lot at low speed but in fact I was driving at 75mph.

Bish,

The windy scenario sounds very similar to how I would explain this condition. Did yours happen sporatically also or was it constant?

Thanks,

-John

Sporadic, no pattern at all.  Sometimes it would seem fine, other times I would be all over the road.  Sometimes I would swear I just passed a semi but no semi in sight!

Bish,

Thanks for the follow up to my questions. It is starting to sound very similar to yours...... BTW, how many miles were on your Tahoe when you 1st started experiencing this?

Thanks,

-John

Sporadic, no pattern at all.  Sometimes it would seem fine, other times I would be all over the road.  Sometimes I would swear I just passed a semi but no semi in sight!

Bish,

Thanks for the follow up to my questions. It is starting to sound very similar to yours...... BTW, how many miles were on your Tahoe when you 1st started experiencing this?

Thanks,

-John

I'm thinking around 50K-60K. Up to 148K now with no return of the problem so I'm guessing they redesigned the donut.

Bish,

Since you actually have replaced yours can you tell me if there are any helpful tips/tricks I will need to know when replacing the EVO sensor? Is it as simple as unplugging the wire harness to the the sensor, removing the 1 bolt that I can see that attach's the 2 shafts together, and sliding the sensor off the shaft?]? Once the bolt is removed I'm assuming the lower shaft will "slide" down out of the way giving me enough clearance to slide the EVO sensor off the shaft and replace it with the new one...??

Thanks,

-John

Bish,

Since you actually have replaced yours can you tell me if there are any helpful tips/tricks I will need to know when replacing the EVO sensor?  Is it as simple as unplugging the wire harness to the the sensor, removing the 1 bolt that I can see that attach's the 2 shafts together, and sliding the sensor off the shaft?]?  Once the bolt is removed I'm assuming the lower shaft will "slide" down out of the way giving me enough clearance to slide the EVO sensor off the shaft and replace it with the new one...??

Thanks,

-John

You pretty much got it. One thing, be VERY careful not to spin the wheel when you have it disconnected. It can mess with the clock spring in the steering wheel. Bad time for your kid to hop in the driver 's seat and start pretenting to 4x4 :chevy:

Archived