Magnaflow Catalytic Converters

My CEL came on a couple of days ago. I had it scanned and got DTC P0420. I have disconnected my battery to reset it and see if it comes back. In the meantime, I started pricing having the cat replaced. The local muffler shop quoted me $225 per side. I found the Magnaflow 94106 on sale at Amazon.com for $60 each with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-94106-Univ...r/dp/B000COPC16. So, I can pick up two cats for a little over $120 and pay a shop just to weld them in for a lot less than $450.

The guy at the muffler shop told me that the magaflows are junk and that he used to sell them but stopped carrying them due to too many problems. He said many times they won't even keep the CEL off. Obviously, he might be telling me that so he can sell me one of his products. The reviews I can find online are positive for the most part. Any of you who have used them, what are your opinions?

I ran a Magnaflow converter on my 95 for about 50,000 miles and then sold the truck. Never had any issues. Bought it through summit. I am a big fan of Magnaflow products.

If you are buying it just because you want a "high flow" converter, you are not going to find any real performance gains. If you are wanting a replacement converter that is cheaper than buying OE, then go for it.

I ran Magnaflow HF cats on my LS1 in my 02 Camaro SS. They came on my QTP catted y pipe with my longtubes. They worked fine for 5-7K miles and then they both blew out all of the internals. I noticed metallic sounds in the exhaust coming back from the track one day and the next after running thru a few gears at high rpms, the exhaust got alot louder and I heard all kinds of noise underneath until all the internals were gone. Supposedly Magnaflow has a new line of HP cats for engines making alot of power.

Are you intentionally looking to replace the cat(s) with high flow units? Or you just want an OE-equivalent replacement?

I am just looking for a OEM equivalent. I didn't even realize they were high-flow. I came acroos the part number on ebay and then just searched the net and found that deal on Amazon. Would it matter if I used a high-flow vs. a standard cat?

I work for an exhaust shop and tend to not use magnaflows. We use a brand called CATCO and have never had an issue.

Any chance you could provide a part number for a Catco OEM equivalent? I'm looking at just the cats, not the whole y-pipe assembly. I'm hoping to save a few bucks that way and just have the cats welded in.

Are you intentionally looking to replace the cat(s) with high flow units? Or you just want an OE-equivalent replacement?

I am just looking for a OEM equivalent. I didn't even realize they were high-flow. I came acroos the part number on ebay and then just searched the net and found that deal on Amazon. Would it matter if I used a high-flow vs. a standard cat?

On a stock or stockish motor you won't tell a difference. Shop by price. If you are running alot more power then go with a high flow cat. On my 420rwhp LS1 I was losing 10rwhp with two Magnaflow HF cats in the Y pipe until they blew out.

I work for an exhaust shop and tend to not use magnaflows. We use a brand called CATCO and have never had an issue.

Any chance you could provide a part number for a Catco OEM equivalent? I'm looking at just the cats, not the whole y-pipe assembly. I'm hoping to save a few bucks that way and just have the cats welded in.

If you have an actuall y-pipe asemebly meaning you have one cat on each side before it y's in then you can use a 2505, or a 2506R CATCO Converter. If they are on both sides, then you have no choice but to buy the whole assembly.

The links to the converters. You may or may not be able to find them cheaper:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-2505/?image=large

2506r

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-2506R/?image=large

Both will work, and are pretty high flow considering they are factory replacement style converters.

Thanks for all the help. Just out of curiosity, why do you tend to not use the Magnaflows?

Archived